Lost my voice.

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by skilpadkos, Feb 22, 2007.

1. skilpadkos

skilpadkos Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

I've had an interesting week so far. As the week progressed my flu turned into an upper respiratory tract infection and so I lost my voice.... as I have so much to teach in such a little time I decided to stick it out and carry on teaching (as best as I could) : the first day was fine I got through most of the work, day two the kids where okay as well, but today was worse, although they were on task and working in the classroom the teacher in the next classroom moaned at the noise made in the passage as a lined them up alphabetically to go to break (we do that in the country I teach in) - so what can I do?? Maintaining order in the actual classroom isn't too difficult without a voice. I have never been a loud person in the classroom and so the kids are used to this. But I can't fully control the kids walking in the passages?? No doubt in two or say days my voice will be back. I am tempted to call the next-door teacher to line my class up and let her lead them out.

Leading the children in after break is also difficult. The children line up, sitting in alphabetical lines, according to classes. At the moment it must look ridiculous as I whisper for the front child to stand and come in and then do crazy hand signals for the others to stand and enter.

Any good ideas????

Andrew

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

What grade is this, Andrew? The crazy hand signals, once you teach the meaning to the kids, sound pretty good. Why not just use a whistle?

I'm home sick right now. In December I had a sinus infection and I worked right through it. It was awful - the coughing fits interrupted everything and were gross. It took me at least a month to recover. So, when I got sick this week, I called in sick - for the first time this year. It's hard for me to give up the control!

4. skilpadkos

skilpadkos Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

Grade six. I am perhaps a total control freak - the substitute teacher, which took my class for 2 days, last year , taught the kids the incorrect infromation (it was some activity in "food chains and webs") - I wasn't happy.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

I'm a control freak, too. I thought I had overcome it - but it is very hard for me to stay out of school. I teach 5th. I know they won't get the best part of the day - when I read aloud for 30 minutes. But, I'm hoping they miss me and will appreciate me more when I return. I also teach one middle school math class a day and I know they are missing too much content. We have to be human, though....

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2007

I lose my voice twice a year, regular as clockwork. NOrmally, the kids are exceptionally good on those days.

Keep in mind: the alternative to hearing me try to teach is a nice, quiet test.

Sorry I'm not of more help... feel better!!

7. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Feb 25, 2007

Can you choose a different child each time to do it for you? I'm sure they will get a charge out of being able to tell their classmates what to do! I generally lose my voice a couple times a year as well and this is what I usually do.

8. skilpadkos

skilpadkos Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

Well good news since Sunday - my voice was back and sounded fairly normal. So it was off to normal teaching this week.

I think part of the solution to this problem is in "pre-teaching" strategies to the kids when something like this happens. Perhaps a set of signals I could use infrequently for lining up etc when one feels like giving the voice a rest.

But then again it isn't often that my voice dissapears.

Funny enough the teacher who had a little moan about the children lining up has now picked up my flu and has lost her voice. At least she won't get a moan from me if her kids make a little noise.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 27, 2007

My voice is pretty much gone right now as well. I have a really loud whistle that my keys are attached to. (It's a "lost in the woods" whistle so it works really well to get attention in loud situations. I can softly blow in one side, though, and get a really low whistle. That's what I've been using in the hall and other situations where I normally wouldn't blow the whistle. It's enough to get their attention. I also have my designated "yeller". When I want everyone's attention I'll give her the hand signal and she'll call everyone's attention to me. (They fight to be the one to do this for me!:D)