Lost homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SalZ, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I give my 4th grade reading students a homework packet on Monday and they have to return it on Friday. If they don't, they don't get to take part in our fun Friday stuff.

The problem I'm having is that students are 'losing' their packets midway through the week. A lot. I've been replacing them, but it's getting ridiculous because I'm printing extra packets because I know kids will lose them and it's eating up my copy paper. Should I just refuse to give new packets if they are lost?

Also, what do you guys do about sloppy, hastily-done homework? Like, if you can tell the student scribbled something out just that morning so the blanks were filled in?

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 16, 2009

I don't replace copies of homework. If you don't turn it in, you lose...whether it's recess or in your case, Fun Friday. It's amazing how quickly they find "lost" homework when I refuse to replace it.

I also don't accept sloppy homework. I make them erase and redo it.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

My motto is,"If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over." My students all know that if any assignment (whether in class or out) is not done neatly and completely, I will have them go to lunch study hall and do it over.
    As to lost homework, I only make one or two extra copies of anything (mostly because it is easier for me to remember mulitples of 5). Once those extras are gone, I don't make more!

I do teach 7th grade

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

If my 1st graders turn in sloppy work, the do it again. I always print a few extra of everything and they can get a fresh new sheet.

I think a 4th grader should be able to keep up with homework. I'm not against them suffering a consequence (such as no Fun Friday) and learning from it - "Where can you keep your homework so it doesn't get lost in the future?"
    - "Umm... my folder?"
    -"I think that's a wonderful solution!"

6. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

Thanks, guys. I feel better about being more of a toughy now. I work with very low SES kids and sometimes I think my sympathy for their situation bleeds too much into other things that I do.

7. BaseballGrl10

BaseballGrl10 Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

We have a few extra packets that we print. The kids get their homework packets on Friday and turn them in the next Friday. They don't so much lose them as they do not finish them. They have to finish them during lunch. I also get the, "I can't find it line," and I have them search their desks/bags/folders and usually they find it. Any assignment that is not done means they use their recess to finish it and we usually let them have the last 5-10 minutes of their recess to go to the bathroom, get a drink, and run around a little, instead of them losing their entire recess (this also limits the bathroom trips during class that we would of had if we didn't give them the last 5-10 minutes).

8. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

The problem for me is that I only have these kids for Language Arts. They go on to math class before lunch, so all I have to hold over their heads is a 20 min recess where half the time (as I mentioned in another thread) I have yard duty! :dizzy:

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 17, 2009

I have an extra copies binder. In it, is one copy of each worksheet that a class does. If someone loses a worksheet then they take that binder and write out the whole worksheet, directions and everything. That way, they still have a chance to get credit if they lost it but I am not giving out extra copies and wasting paper.

It is amazing how many will find the missing work if they are forced to hand-write the whole thing

10. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Sep 17, 2009

ditto

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

Why should they bother keeping up with their packets if they know you will replace them? I would not replace the packets if they are lost. Let them make some bad grades because of it, and they may start keeping up with their stuff.

12. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

I love it!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 18, 2009

Could you keep track of who you have given an extra copy to or maybe give them a coupon for one free replacement per grading period? Then once their free pass has been used, they have to write out their copy. That way if a a responsible kid had baby brother demolish the homework, he/she wouldn't have a "punishment" and wouldn't get so upset. The ones that lose their homework will probably use their coupon in the first week. Maybe you could have the kids who didn't use the coupon turn it in at the end of the grading period for a small prize like a pencil or sitting in a special place in your class for the day.

14. BaseballGrl10

BaseballGrl10 Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

We write on the packets which number copy it is (for example, if they lose one we write "2nd" on the next packet, etc.). My students still get the bad grade for losing it, it still counts as a 0, but in 2nd grade they don't care about 0's, but they care more about how they don't want to stay in at recess and have to work on their homework then. Today my students had to turn in their homework, out of the 22 there today, 20 turned it in, which is like a record! Hahaha. One of them we even gave her a 2nd packet yesterday to start (because last week she didn't do the packet, so if they turn in the packet late the week before, they have to stay in with us and start their next packet) and of course she didn't finish it last night, so she had to finish it during Library time today. The other one, she said she didn't know where it was, I looked in her desk and it was a mess! Of course, what do we find, her packet from week 3, her packet from this week and like four Math papers she needs to finish! Ugh! I told my students, "Do not put any papers in your desk anymore! All papers go in your folder unless we tell you to keep them in your desk!" We'll see how long that lasts! Hahaha.

15. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

I load my homework sheet on my page through my school's website. Maybe something like that could work for you?

16. CandyKisses

CandyKisses Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

We use a "homework" packet too. I have 25 students... I make 30 copies (5 extras). If I run out... well, then I have to make another copy... which makes for a very unhappy teacher :p

I also give them ONE free homework pass for the quarter. If they use it up, then they have to write out the WHOLE paper again, in their best handwriting, they get a 50% grade, call home, and they have to stay in for recess. So far, in the 3 weeks we've had school, only one person has "forgotten" his packet. That teached him... and the rest of the class too!

17. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

I wish! My school doesn't have a website. (We are truly in the dark ages :lol:) I'm not even sure how many parents have internet access although I'm going to send home a survey to find out.

18. SalZ

SalZ Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

When you have a kid "forget" his packet and stay in from recess, does he have to do packet work during recess or is it enough of a punishment to not be able to play?

19. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

I don't do packets, but for lost homework I tell them they have to come w/ me at recess to the copy room so I can make a copy for them. Then they give up as many recesses as it takes to complete the work. I am very s-l-o-w at finding the paper, copying it, and walking back w/ them....ha ha! However, I LOVE the idea of a binder from which they copy ALL of the page! I am going to do this! Thanks!