losing steam fast..with 7 days left...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherhoosier, May 24, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

May 24, 2011

We have 7 days left...and I'm burning out fast... If my class' behavior yesterday was any indication of how this week is going to go, I'm in for a bumpy ride. I have a class with a group of very immature kindergarten boys and behavior issues, and while they have made good academic progress, some of my students' behavior has regressed since spring break..I had come a long way with them, and they're slipping now..I know it's the end of the year, but I can't help but feel discouraged..I know they are feeling done, so I try to plan fun activities/projects for us to do in the afternoon (when they really fall apart)....anyone else feeling this way?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

I felt this way after a Monday last week or the week before. But then surprisingly my kids started to pull together.

My strategy: each day is a new day and I always remember that this transition time is hard for kids. My of my students with severe behaviors struggle with any upcoming break, but summer is the hardest. They struggle because of the change or loss of routine, not knowing how to say good-bye, and the unknown.

Good luck with those last days, it'll be here before you know it!

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 24, 2011

Yes! I work with another teacher in a 4th grade classroom, and it doesn't help that the other teacher is also checked out. Yesterday was such a whirlwind day and the other teacher was sitting at his desk the whole time!

I was teaching all day, but couldn't really keep the kids focused the entire time, and it didn't help when being disengaged is being modeled for them by the other teacher.

I like mopar's suggestion. Each day is a new day, and it's important to see where the students are coming from, since they can't articulate themselves as well.

Going to work now! New day....new day....new day....that's my mantra! Good luck with your last week!

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

My problem is this time of year is all I have for archery.
    It is lots of work and HOTTER than **** out there.
    I have about 12 days with them, the last 3 half days so I am trying to let them shoot lots of arrows and have a tournament
    the last week. It is so hot .........(how hot is it coach?)
    I have to hide the bows because the black handles get too hot
    to hold. Im putting them on my truck in the shade at one school and back in the truck at the other (no shade).
    The upside is the unit is going great and lots of my non athletes are excelling. life is good (but hot)
    btw the P and the BRT and others keep saying my 4th grade at HE are awful and to watch them like a hawk. They are fine with me for archery. Many have been suspended or written up but they behave with me.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 24, 2011

I feel the same way about my juniors. They're like little kittens... they get easily distracted, they can't be corralled, and they will unleash on you in a flurry of teeth and claws at a moment's notice...

7. janney

janney Cohort

May 24, 2011

I was feeling the same way. I've been trying to see them as beginning of the year kindergarteners in terms of behavior and attention span. By trying not to compare their behavior now to their behavior a month ago I find that I have more patience with them and they are doing a little better for me.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 24, 2011

Oh my kids were horrible today. I had crying, tattles, injuries, and the "oh do we have to do this"

I still have 4 weeks left though.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 24, 2011

I'm so incredibly relieved that I'm not the only one feeling this way! This is (by far) the most challenging class I've had in six years. I, too, have 7 days left and I am completely wiped out right now!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 24, 2011

Oh man, most of mine are doing pretty good most days, but the first two parts of this describes one of my juniors to a T (totally distracted, can't be corralled, but no teeth and claws issues with him). Man, now when I see him tomorrow I'm just going to think of him as a giant kitten :lol:!

11. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

May 24, 2011

I've had the same kind of time in 1st grade. We have lots of special friends and lots of just plain "stinkers" this year, and they're disproportionately in my room, so it's been tough.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

Don't let a few kids burn you out on the last days. Your other students deserve your best until the last day...I have a student who is extremely immature, is constantly putting on 'a show', seeks attention constantly...it's been ongoing, sometimes better than others...tomorrow I'm giving him 3 unifix cubes. He'll have to give me a cube each time that I have to redirect his behavior (it's become a distraction to others and disruptive to instruction). If he uses up all 3 cubes he will miss 15 minutes of recess as a consequence for wasting class time. refuse to let behaviors wear you down...take action.:love:You'll make it, I promise.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 24, 2011

I have 10 days left. Sigh. My kids are actually being REALLY well-behaved...they've been a good class all year. :love: But me on the other hand, I'm DONE :)

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 25, 2011

My kids are just so LOUD lately! Earplugs would probably be a good investment.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 25, 2011

We turned in our computers today and we still have 2 more days left... Now it really becomes controlled chaos.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

Because you turned in computers or because it's the last 2 days?