Losing sleep?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by apostle2, Aug 11, 2005.

1. apostle2

apostle2 Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

:sorry: :confused:
    Even though I am going into my 7th year of teaching, I still get nervous and lose sleep a week before school begins. If I do sleep I have odd dreams. Anyone in the same boat? :tired:

3. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Unfortunately, Apostle2, YES! :tired: I went to bed at 10 and woke up at 3, unable to get back to sleep. I also have strange dreams about school. This will be my 9th year of teaching; at least the anxiety has lessened over the years, but it's still there ...

Take care ... ~Jaicie

4. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Sorry to say ... even after 18 years is doesn't get any better. I wonder why the magic time is 3:eek:o am. Have a great year!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

I started a thread about the weird dream thing a couple of weeks ago. I think we all still get them. I'm starting my 13th year. And yes, I wake up around that 3:00 time too..........so afraid I won't hear my alarm! :(
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=11695
    You may want to add your dream! I'd be curious what they are!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2005

Oh yes. No doubt about it. My anxiety started the beginning of August and it's getting increasingly worse as I get closer to the first day.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

I have a hard time going to sleep this time of year. I bring home stuff to do and work on it till 2 a.m. I get up at 6 a.m. so I'm drained by the time I come home again.

8. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

you all are definitely not alone! I found out Tuesday that I'll be working at the alternative school I've subbed at for the past 2 years so I'm going to expect to have an AWESOME year! I am however nervous because I don't know what to expect from the daughter of my mentor who thinks something is going on with me and her dad...but other than that I'm cool and ready to hit the road running!

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 11, 2005

Every year!! What's the deal? I am going into my 8th year, and yes, it inevitably happens. But every year, we get through it. Keep smiling.

10. apostle2

apostle2 Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Losing Sleep

Glad to know I am not alone. Hope everyone has more zzzz's tonight! Good luck with your year! God bless! :)

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2005

This is my second year- Had a dream that I forgot to teach my procedures... Even though I taught most of them the other day. I am such a dork!

12. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 11, 2005

I thought i was the only one! This is my first year teaching and although school doesnt start till after labor day i have already begun having nightmares. I keep dreaming that i havent planned anything. I am glad (and sorry for u guys) that i am not the only one.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2005

I have them too! This is my 4th year, but Im starting in a new school.....I woke up around 3 the other night as well.....how strange is that? I wonder why, there must be a meaning behind it!

im sure after reading this post ill be sure to have some strange dreams tonight!

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Ya, I'd like to know whats with the 3 o'clock time as well. Once I do that, I can never get back to sleep.........I keep checking the clock! Ugh!

15. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 11, 2005

I'm definitely in the same boat. I worked at school setting up my room all day yesterday, then when last night I could not fall asleep---I was reading a book until 1 am. My hubby woke me up to say goodbye this morning at 6 & my mind started racing about school again, so I've been up since then. I'm sure the dreams will start soon too....After a summer with no alarm, I always have dreams that I am late to work. Maybe next summer I'll keep my school routine....yeah right! :)

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

I wish I could keep that early morning routine, but I am naturally such a night owl, and always have been. I think of all the things I am dreading the most, it's the waking up at 5:30 am~! I HATE THAT! I feel like I am in a fog for several hours after that! And it never seems to get easier for me!

17. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

I'm in my 9th year but have been off on my year maternity leave. I am beginning to get very nervous to go back after being off for 14 months. I go back Sept.6th and have started the nightmares already. I had one the other day the parents were running around my room yelling and I yelled at them and then they didn't want their kids in my room b/c I yell! Weird, eh??

18. dee

dee Companion

Aug 12, 2005

Today was the first day of my 2nd year in 1st and I have not slept for the past three nights. I keep waking up between 3 and 4. Then I get cramps and have to spend some time in the bathroom.

All my anxieties were for nothing because today was soooooooooooooo much smoother than last year and get this I only had 10 students to show today. I had 17 on my roster, but it looks like 4 of them have dropped.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2005

Just goes to prove, our fears and anxieties are always worse then reality! Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

20. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

I cannot be happier to read this thread! I am starting my 4th year of teaching but I have a 2/3 combo class this year and I have been dreaming about the parents asking me why I haven't taught this or that. Thank you for all being honest and admitting that you are in the same boat because it makes me feel better! Although it now seems as though sleep deprevation is going to be a permanant part of my life! YIKES! : )

21. k_canuck

k_canuck Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

yup - think we're all in the same boat! and amazed at how often 3am came up - that would be my 'witching hour' as well!!

22. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 18, 2005

This is my 4th year and I still tell my students when I see them in the local bagel shop or food store that believe it or not teachers don't at times look forward to going back to school and we are also nervous about meeting new students for possibly the first time! Next week I will be starting on my "early to bed and early to rise schedule" to prepare for that first week on 9/1 and I know the night before I will be tossing and turning!

23. melissa74

melissa74 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

I just told my husband about all of these posts and asked him to guess what time most of you said that you wake up and he guessed it!!! I just had my first night of restlessness this week after visiting my room and feeling overwelmed with everything i want to accomplish and a vacation that i am about to take!!! I think we should all find a chat room that we could get on at that time and bounce ideas off of and then we could all get to sleep!!!!

Oh yeah and I always have a dream that i am not going to have anything ready on the first day and the kids will not have any structure because of it...six years and counting

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2005

I'll be on that same schedule, and I'm dreading every minute of it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm just not a morning person. 13 years and I still am not converted. I think there's no help at this point!

25. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

yeah if ya'll do start a chat room that we can all talk on at the same time that would be great! have a wonderful friday nite~Chava

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 19, 2005

I have had some weird dreams about school. I also stay up thinking about thinking about all the things I have to do before school starts. It seems as though there is never enough time.

27. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

I'm reading this thread because I had a dream that my classroom was totally out of control and now I can't get back to sleep. I just laughed when I looked at the clock and it 3:09! I'm glad to hear this is normal.

28. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

This is my first year teaching and I have had the oddest dreams - one was I was teaching at the elem. school I have worked as a sub and showed up in my pajamas. Very wierd dreams - we start the 29th and the kids come in the 31st. I hope I actually wear clothes and not some fuzzy slippers ;-) :eek: