Losing My Marbles

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by GlendaLL, Oct 6, 2004.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 6, 2004

I work at a school that uses the Reggio Emilia method. My children are 3,4,5 year olds. This week we made "marble racers." The children designed a racer using a jar lid and other art materials. Then we placed marbles under the lid and "raced" them down a ramp (made from the wood cover to the water table). The children explored how giving a "jet engine push" would increase the speed of the racer. Also, they tried the ramp at various heights. They loved this project!

Does anyone have any other ideas for using marbles?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 6, 2004

My kid love doing marble painting... take a box (actually, a lid works better because it's shallower)... tape a piece of paper inside the box, then squeeze paint in the corners, and roll the marble(s) around inside the box... they make really cool abstract art. :)

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2004

add a golf ball to the marbles and roll them around in the bottom of a waste basket. What a neat pattern.

5. Jeri Dawn M

Jeri Dawn M Rookie

Oct 6, 2004

Marble magnets are a fun exploration

What about marble golf?

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 7, 2004

Thanks for the ideas! I think that we will be doing some different types of marble painting next week. I will take one of our marble magnets - put it on a cookie sheet and have the kids use a magnet wand underneath to move the marble around the paper through some paint puddles. That, plus the other ideas, will give us some fun activities!