Losing hope

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 9, 2013

Any optimism and positive energy I had is fading fast. It is August 9th and I have no more interviews scheduled. I have two applications out for jobs that closed yesterday and today so there is a chance they will call me. There has been nothing else to apply for near me. I have to hope that next week some last minute things will open up.

I was looking at my employment files on my computer and I noticed that I wrote two cover letters last year on August 8 and got interviews for both of them. One of them was for the LTS job that was for most of the year that I ended up accepting. The other one was for a permanent position but the timing was such that if I didn't accept the LTS job I would have lost it. Not wanting to take a chance, I withdrew from the other job even though it went so well I though I was surely going to get it. But who knows, as my experience this year has shown..

Anyway, I emailed the p today from the other school because I felt that he really had liked me. I kept it brief, reminded him of my interview last year, and let him know I was available. Attached the résumé and we'll see if he has anything. I am going to do this for a few more schools in the area where I haven't applied yet this year. There isn't much around here because it is a rural area, though.

I told my husband that job hunting in August is like trying to hook up at closing time. Everybody's desperate! :lol: At least I can laugh a little. I found myself getting so depressed today that I literally did not want to do anything.

There is one other tiny glimmer of hope: my BFF from my school last year is applying for a job in another town. Neither one of us was crazy about the place but the new p is really nice and is trying to change things for the better. Anyway, if she left, there would be an opening on the team and they would likely turn to me.

I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

I do want to say that I'm really happy for everybody who got jobs.:love:

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

It is getting late, but weird, last minute stuff happens a lot. I'm not saying you should be a Pollyanna, but keep your eyes open.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

Good luck, Rainbowbird! It ain't over 'til it's over.
    Sheilah

5. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

I feel for you as a teacher still looking for a job, but also so happy for those who have found teaching jobs! There is hope!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2013

My school just hired someone to start on the fourth day of school, so jobs are still possible even after school starts!

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

Good luck! My first teaching position offer came Wednesday night, the week before the teachers come back. I missed "New Teacher" orientation. HR called on Thursday, I signed my contract and picked up my keys on Friday. I worked diligently that weekend before I had to report on Monday!

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

Just remember: schools often realize after the school started that enrollment is higher, they need teachers; there are teacher who quit in the very beginning because they realize the school / admin / students were not what they expected.

I have always been checking online job postings, out of curiosity, even now when I have absolutely no desire to leave, I'm very happy. But August - October I always saw new positions, looking to hire asap. So don't give up hope!!

9. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

Oh man! I am still rooting for you Rainbowbird. Hope a job pops up soon for you. It is getting later and later though.

I had an interview last week for an instructional aide position. It was the first teaching interview I had in two years. They haven't told me yes or no yet, so I am still holding out hope. I do feel like it is a last ditch effort for me though. I am thinking I need to move on after so many years of looking for a teaching job. I have an interview at Trader Joe's in a couple of weeks. It's not teaching, but I think if I stick with it I can make a living after awhile. It would be a relatively low stress job, which sounds nice. It's hard work and always rotating schedule, but when you come home you have your time. Plus I can educate people on healthy eating. I think it would take a couple of years to move into management which pays around a teachers salary. We will see!

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

Thank you everyone. I will be alright. I think it just isn't meant to be right now. I really wanted part-time teaching, only applied for a couple of full-time jobs because that's all there was and the grade for one of them was a dream job. We don't really need a full-time second salary so I am fortunate in that respect.

I would prefer to hold off on full time teaching til my children are both in middle school. So perhaps this is just a sign. It sounds very odd and it feels very odd after so much searching and hard work, but as school approaches I feel my energy is completely drained from the search, and all I want to do is get my own children off to school in an organized and relaxed fashion.

I feel like I have been swimming upstream so hard. It's time to go with the flow and see where it brings me. :hugs: I need to relax. I've been getting so many headaches. The roller coaster that Dressagelady talked about has given me whiplash. I've had so many incredible interviews and opportunities, and they have all come to naught. I am trying to accept that this may never happen to me...sadly I feel like a has-been.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

We all love you, Rainbow! :wub: :hugs:

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

Pi, you're awfully sweet!!!!:love:

Maybe if I chill I can get my mojo back. I think I'm just burned out.