Losing drive at my current job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Apr 27, 2017

Hey you all, I am losing the energy and the drive to work for my parents. The long work hours, pay period, and the classroom size are taking a toll on me. I work from 8:00 am to 5 pm with a total of 16 kids in the classroom by myself there ages range from 4 to 5. am paid on the 7th and then the following week after the 7th. I do not have a paycheck until a whole month later. I am bummed. We also have no breaks! so I will be working during the summer time.
    I get home and I am drained. The kids misbehave and I am tired of yelling. I just really do not know what to do. Being that thy are my parents, they dictate when and how I get paid. For instance, I only got half of my check because they were going through financial issues. I am just sick of it all. I wish I would have thought things through before I quit my previous job. It wasn't the best, but it was better than working for my family. I highly considering teaching in a public school. I can not take this anymore it is torture. I am unable to do any activites with the kids because they range in different ages and it is just me in the classroom. I give up! I am at work but the kids are putting their heads down and playing in centers outside for the rest of the day.

3. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 27, 2017

Sorry for all the misspelled words and sentence structure. I am just fed up today

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 28, 2017

There's nothing you can do except find another job. Your parents seem to be taking advantage of you.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 30, 2017

I can see how you would feel stuck, so sorry. Unfortunately, your parents don't seem to understand that everyone needs a break away from things from time to time. It helps people to recharge & perform better at their jobs. Don't they realize if you're this drained, stressed, & emotionally spent/frustrated, that that can manifest & actually cause physical health problems? You're a grown adult. Maybe it's time for tough love. Treat them how you would any other boss. You'll have to look elsewhere for a job if A, B, C, etc. doesn't improve.

So your parents run a school, nice...that is, as long as they treat everyone the way they should be treated. If they're not even treating you, their own daughter right, I shudder to think how they treat everyone else on campus. What kind of school is it & how many students are there on the campus?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 30, 2017

I would a find a new job.
    Isn't it against labor laws to not be given a break out if you work over a certain number of hours???
    What is the ratio in your state? In mine, you have to have one teacher for every 10 kids if you're with 4-year-olds.
    Start looking for a new job asap

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2017

There are strategies for teaching a multi age group...you might look into coursework on this..

Public schools could be a tough hire for you without certification

How is the Chinese school situation panning out?

Working for your parents seems too close for comfort...they hired you for a job for which you might not be qualified and on the other hand don't seem to be paying you as agreed....I'd consider leaving, but how financially obligated are you to your new apt. Plus consider other bills....

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 2, 2017

Hey I am able to only teach PreK in the state florida because I have a a certification in birth-5 years. As for VIPKID I have now passed to the last interview.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 2, 2017

Doesn't Florida have pre-k in some of their public schools? If you're certified, go for it

10. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 10, 2017

no breaks? your parents takes no break either?