Lord of the Flies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by RU92, Dec 11, 2006.

1. RU92

RU92 Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

Just wondering if anyone here has taught this novel. I'm a new English teacher (secondary). I haven't read it, so I'm curious to see if it is "teachable." If so, any specific approaches I can take? Thank you!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2006

My son studied this in grade 11 English this year. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what they did.

4. JHenry

JHenry Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

My sister is a high school english teacher who teaches freshman and she has her students read this book and they also watch the movie.

When I was in high school we read an excerpt from the book and watched the movie in freshman english.

I found Piggy's death horribly disturbing though. lol

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 11, 2006

When I was a sophomore in high school we read this book and watched the movie as well. And I found the whole darn thing disturbing... haha.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2006

I taught it once with a group of advanced 7th graders. Even though they were advanced, they weren't quite advanced enough for that novel . . . as I discovered the hard way. We ended up just skimming the surface.

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Dec 12, 2006

I studied it when I was in Grade 12 and I really hated it. As others said, it's very disturbing. However, it's commonly taught in secondary school.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2006

I read it in high school. I'm pretty sure that our school assigns it as well. But, since I teach math, I have nothing else to offer you-- sorry!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2006

My son wasn't too forthcoming with details about his study of the book. They read the novel, watched the movie, wrote a short comparative essay, and wrote a lengthy essay on one of the themes of the novel. I read it is high school as well, and, although it was a long time ago, I remember being very disturbed. I would be very careful about the goup of kids I used it with.

10. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

This can be a really great book for high school kids, especially if you teach it in conjunction with books that have similar themes...Anthem, Life of Pi, that sort of thing.

Yes, it's disturbing. It's supposed to be disturbing. What you want your kids to do is figure out why it's disturbing and how the author uses language to do this.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

We did it when I took Adv. 10th grade English

Funny note: One night, I had sooo much homework that I was just kind of skimming through my reading. The next day, everyone was talking about the part where Piggy died. I had completely missed that page!! I had to go back and frantically read during my 1st period before 2nd period English ;)

12. Docere

Docere Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

I read that book when I was a sophomore. It is a very good book, but I remember it was a bit difficult to understand so it would require you going over it a lot with them to clarify some points. Very good, deep book.

13. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 25, 2006

It is part of 9th lit here. I taught it this year. There are several deaths in the book.

boy with birthmark disappears
    Simon
    pigs
    parachutist
    Piggy

hunting down of Ralph for purpose of death although he survives.

My kids were fascinated by the connection of beastie, the Lord of the Flies, and the beast within.

We also talked about the essence of government (to protect the weak) and how it applied to these boys.. change in leadership, purpose, etc.

Some activities...

mostly I taught the course as a discussion group. Students read a chapter, wrote questions (based on standard reading comprehension- pulling it together, text and me, etc) and they ran the discussion group (I only recorded). It was pretty successful..

We also analyzed symbolism (glasses, conch, beast, fire, huts, there were 6 total.. ) and charted them for meaning and a modern example.. fire is an emergency signal- a flare would be a modern example..

we charted characters.. the main ones along with a physical and personality description

we drew maps of the island- where did the major events take place..

we researched modern airplane crashes, criticism of the novel, camping, hunting, psychology behind groups (can't remember the exact term), changes in tool usage in human history (spears, fire, etc).. and wrote a research paper as compares to the book. Some were pretty interesting and presented them to the class with a visual aid.

We spent a lot of time on the project and it was pretty worthwhile I think.

Some notes: the new release of LOF is rated R, and the old one is PG-13 I think, but is black and white (not that that is BAD, but my kids were put off by that at first).

My kids were not as well prepared for the differences in speech and concepts between American kids and British kids. Some terms were a surprise to them, I will try to do better with that next time.
    They also did not fully understand (and neither do I) how British schools are run differently than US ones.. this pertains to the book in how the Choir boys treat the other kids, prefects, etc.

You can make a really cool bulletin board for the book. Draw out a BIG map of the island (there are some online that you could print out as an overhead and trace) add some shells around the edge, put a pig mask with dripping blood (maybe just a little) in the island, some symbols for fire, little toothpick "huts", toy glasses, and a toy parachutist.. A teacher I know did this before they started the book, and the bloody pig face brought a lot of interest. I have already bought up stuff from the after Halloween sale for my bulletin board for next year. I am looking for a toy spear as well and found a cool string of shell Christmas lights to add to the top.