Loose in the Lab cancelled - was NOT notified!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jsfowler, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 2, 2008

:mad:As many of you know, I was very excited about an upcoming workshop through Loose in the Lab. I was so excited, in fact, that I was traveling to Lexington (almost 3 hours) during my Spring Break.

I left my home at 4:30 am to get to the workshop on time. I had to find a babysitter for the entire day 4:30 am to 8pm and you can only imagine the price of gas.

I showed up at the cenvention center at approximately 7:50 and eagerly waited...and waited...and waited...and waited along with 7 other teachers.

Finally, a representative from the center asked us what we were there for and she replied by saying that they had cancelled weeks ago due to small participation.

I immediately called the tool free number for loose in the lab and was told they did not open until 10:30 (my time). I drove an hour to my in-laws and waited until 10:30, called and gave them a piece of my mind. She tried to say that they had e-mail us...no e-mails. Their website did not say it was cancelled and two of the people who were there said they registered this past Monday and no one said anything to them about it being cancelled!

They tried to offer me the kit for $75 and refund the rest of the $180 that I originally paid. Who is going to refund the gas money, the baby sitter, and my wasted time?!? I declined and suggested they give me the kit for my wasted time and money that they can't refund! I am still waiting to hear on their decision but it did not sound promising.

Can you believe this? Please, if you were planning on attending or purchasing anything from Loose in the Lab, DON'T!! I am making it a personal mission to inform as many people about this as possible. If they think losing $75 by giving me a free kit will hurt them financially, I hope I sway a few people to not go to their workshops ($180) or purchase their products!!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

That is completely absurd that they didn't notify anyone. I got your back :)

4. liztheturtle

liztheturtle Rookie

Apr 2, 2008

If I were you, I'd take that to small claims court if I were you or civil court and claim that they owe you the money you spent on gas, a babysitter and a lost day of work. Seriously.

I can't believe they did that to you guys. Atrocious.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 2, 2008

If they say they sent an email, I'd ask to see a copy of the email, and I'd ask specifically what email address it went to. That is a very lame excuse!

6. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 2, 2008

They said they sent me an e-mail yesterday. I checked...no e-mail. They read me the correct address and I asked them if they have an automatic reply saying I received it. They said they did not do that and I suggested that it would be a good idea.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 2, 2008

Less than one day's notice on a cancellation? Shame on them!

If you paid money for workshop, then they should have MAILED you a notice about cancellation.

Totally unacceptable!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2008

How unfortunate. I've never heard of Loose in the Lab. Let the Better Business Bureau know as well.

I take professional development workshops from reputable sources. I recently went to one at the Newark (NJ) Museum. There were only 3 people there including me. (all 3 frm my school)...Only cost $40, got a great tour of the museum, great hands on day, had lunch at a pub with my friends during break and got my NJ PD hours certificate as well as some great ideas to take back to the classroom.

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 2, 2008

If you paid by credit card I would dispute the charges.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

They cancelled with the convention center weeks before but only gave you a 1 day notice (supposedly)!! That's awful. I'm sure you gave them an email address and a phone number and an address. They knew weeks in advance and should have used all measures to insure those who registered were notified. No wonder no one registers for their convention. They have probably burned people in the past.

11. tnteach

tnteach New Member

Apr 3, 2008

website?

I signed up for this program a few weeks ago and I still haven't gotten my confirmation. I was getting nervous about it and after reading this I am very nervous. Do you have the website or number I can call?

12. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 3, 2008

www.looseinthelab.com

1-888-403-1189

They did not have the cancellation on the website...and like I said, some of the people called 2 days before and were told it was still on. I would find out where it is to be held and call the location to make sure they have not cancelled. Personally, I would get my money back and find another workshop to attend.