looping?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ashley57, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 23, 2008

I just found out that I WILL be looping with my class next year.

I have a great group this year, so I am excited. So many thoughts are running through my head now...

If you have looped, did you make any changes to your room? My room will change (physically, even though it is identical), but I think I want to change my theme as well just to make it different. Did you?

Any other thoughts?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 23, 2008

I looped from 2nd to 3rd. It was the greatest experience of my life! The kids I had were a dream come true. I had the support of every parent, too. They actually wanted me to take the kids to fourth grade but I felt it was not in the best interest for the students as well as myself. The one thing I asked my principal to do was to ask each parent if they wanted me to loop with their child. They had the ability to opt out if they wished. I did have one that moved their child. The best part of looping was when Sept. rolled around I could pick up where I left off in June. It saved several weeks of teaching a new class the routine. Best of luck.

4. mokdgteacher

mokdgteacher Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Glad you have a good group to loop with.

I haven't looped myself but I was a long-term sub for a teacher who looped and I started the second year with them and it made it sooooooooo much easier for me as a sub!

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2008

Looping is awesome!
    Both teachers and students know what to expect.

Yes, I change my theme each year.

I also rearrange the room.

The year I was pregnant I left things the same except new name tags and such. Didn't like it. Didn't feel fresh.

You can also pull from last year's lessons such as "Remember when we talked about Abe Lincoln?" Then you can build from that more.

The down part is starting over after two years. You completely forgot the level a beginning first grader is at. I mean the last gropu you taught was ready for third grade and now you have kids who just left kng. Did that make sense?

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions! :D

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 23, 2008

Looping is so good. I have gone further with this group than I ever have before. Some of my kids are working a grade ahead in math because we were able to cover so many concepts (and they also were really strong students.)

I think you can hit the floor running and really get a lot more done in a year- plus you just really love the kids!

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Apr 23, 2008

LOVE IT. This is the 2nd loop I have been involved in. (I'm looping with my 1st grade class to 2nd.) I can't say enough about the experience. All around positive for everyone involved. My principal does not give the parents a choice to opt out of the loop, but I have never had anyone want to. No, I don't change my room. I never felt like the kids expected it. Familiarity is comforting to many of them. Best part is they can leave stuff in their desks! Good luck, I hope you have a great experience.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2008

I haven't looped, but a friend of mine did. By the 2nd year, the kids were like a single unit. They did everything together, and were awesome. I would love to try it sometime.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 23, 2008

I realized I never answered your actual questions!

Did you make any changes to your room? I moved rooms this year, but I do change my room around a bit most years. This year, since I had older kids, I made everything look a bit more "grown up."

I don't have a theme, per say, but I have a color scheme. It definitely changed. I used to have primary colors + green, and now I have spring colors (lime green, sky blue, yellow, orange.)

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 23, 2008

I took a position where the teacher who had my classroom looped up to 3rd grade and wanted to come back to 2nd grade the next year. I really didn't want to do it because it was my first year to teach 2nd, I was in grad school, and then I was supposed to physically move to the 3rd grade room. I did both summer sessions too.

It sounds more appealing staying in the same room and the kids promoting to another grade and coming back to the room they had previously.

It's HARD work to change classrooms.

I have had classes that I loved so much I'd give anything to have them another year.

Some parents really complained too when they had THAT teacher for another year and said they'd never be involved in anything like that again.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 23, 2008

I, too, did not answer your original question. I did nothing to my room because it was small. The desks were removed because the other two third grade rooms used tables. (Loved the tables, wished I had them now in my HUGE room. Because of the limited amount of space my Mother made chair pockets for each child's chair. I still use them today) I did not have a theme or have a specific color. It was a classroom decorated with student work and that suited me, and my students, just fine. I still do not use any type of theme or color scheme. I actually can't be bothered doing this. No one in my school uses a theme in their room.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2008

You can involve the kids and have them vote on a theme.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2008

Love it!
    I think I will involve them in making their new name tags and everything!

14. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 10, 2008

Wow- I can't believe I never responded to this! I had read the responses and thought I had. Must have been one of those days...

THANK YOU all for your responses!

My dilemma now has to do with how to tell the kids. I am concerned that 4 will not be with me next year (one has been staffed for ESE, 2 are possible retainees, 1 is hopefully going to a more remedial class). How did you tell your kids? Were any of them unable to come with you? How did you handle that?

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 11, 2008

I have semi-looped twice before, including this year going from 2nd to 3rd grade. I say "semi-lopped" because I only had 7 kids each year that I had the previous year and the rest were new kids. That happened because my stupid principal never asked the parents about the decision...she was bad and is gone. :)

To answer your questions- I didn't change the room dramatically. I did change some of the posters on the walls to match the 3rd grade curriculum, only to have to change them back when I went back to 2nd...lol....so my advice on that is to have posters and things that you can keep up for any grade.

I told the kids I would be teaching 3rd grade, but I didn't tell them who would have me. They found that out when they received their last report card. I'd ask your principal first if its ok to tell them before school is over (since other kids won't know). Or you could tell them you will be teaching 3rd? grade next year and would like to know what they think would be good themes for 3rd graders.

Good luck! I'm happily staying in 3rd grade now, but seeing the kids grow for 2 years is an amazing experience!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 11, 2008

One other thought- you still need to be tough on the kids next year. Some of mine felt like they were "Friends" of mine after being in my room for a 2nd year. They started to goof off and it was hard to tell the parents that their good kid was a mess...but it might've been different if I had looped with the entire class. Plus there were a few bad apples each year:( lol

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 11, 2008

I agree with leighball. I looped from 2nd last year to 3rd this year with 14 of my students. The other additions have made life h*** on earth at some points and have tried to ruin the others. The positive side was that I only had to assess 6 kids rather than 20. I did have to change my room drastically but that was only due to the fact that we moved from a trailer to the main building (YEAHHHHHH) and students were given the chance to opt out. My two behavior issues opted out but I got three that were worse in exchange (happy happy joy joy).
    I still think that looping is a very positive experience. I am staying in third this coming year however.
    Good luck and here's wishing you an awesome year!

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 11, 2008

The regular ed. students in my school have serious behavior problems (worse than my students and they are diagnosed with severe behavior disorders) and our teachers are dreading having to spend another year with them. I swear sometimes it seems like there is a prison riot going on in their classrooms. There are 4th and 5th graders who cannot read and write and their parents refuse to sign the papar work to get them assessed and teachers have little time to spend one-on-one time with them due to the behavioral issues that go on in their classroom and because they spend their recesses and after school time with students on detention. Needless to say, that all of the regular ed. teachers are looking to teach at a different school next year.

19. ntseej vaj

ntseej vaj New Member

May 13, 2008

I haven't looped, but my grade level partner did. She said it was wonderful. The students knew the routines, you knew the levels of your students and you also knew the parents. You knew who was coming to school affairs and who were not. She wanted us to switch back and forth each year, but I didn't feel comfortable with the idea being a new teacher. It sounds good if you have a good class to loop with.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 13, 2008

My kids always knew that I would teach them for both 1st and 2nd grade.

Be gently, honest with those who must be retained.