looping

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by janlee, Aug 23, 2003.

1. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 23, 2003

I will be teaching 3rd grade this fall. Last year I taught 2nd grade and I am bringing my entire 2nd grade class to 3rd grade with me. I am looking forward to this new experience, teaching the same students two years in a row. Since I already know the students I should be able to jump right in the first day and start teaching. Has anyone been in this situation before and if so what did you find were the pros and cons of looping. Thanks.

3. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Aug 23, 2003

I love looping!

I loop 1st to 2nd grade and love it. I never want to teach any other way again! After spending the 1st day catching up on what everyone has been up to you will be able to jump right in to teaching. There are many many pros to looping, the relationships with students and their families, knowing exactly where your students are and what they need, knowing their personalities and how to plan for them. It will be the easiest 1st day of school you have ever had. The only con is the last day of school on the second year with them...it is really sad for them and you.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 23, 2003

Hi! I just finshed my first week of looping from 3rd to 4th. This is the first time I have ever done this and am in the process of "testing the waters". I spent mon. and tues. reviewing/reinforcing/teaching (for my new kids) my rules, expectations, and procedures. Then for the rest of the week we worked on curriculum all day every day. I think that it was important to review procedures because we had been apart for 2 months and I wanted them to recognize that nothing has changed. I hope this was helpful.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 23, 2003

I also am looping from 2nd to 3rd grade this year. This is my second time looping from 2nd to 3rd grade. We started school this week, and it was great to see the kids. We even had a class picnic before school started to just let the kids play together. In my school, class sizes increase at 3rd grade, so I had more students added to my class. Its great having a majority of the kids know each other and help the new students with our class routines. We got right to work this week on the academics.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 23, 2003

There have been several other threads regarding looping. Perform a seach of teacherchat for "looping" and several different threads are shown. You may get some additional ideas from them.