looping

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by clarnet73, Oct 22, 2002.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 22, 2002

Hey again... this is such a wonderful source of information!

For my History and Philosophy of Early Childhood Ed (PreK-3rd), I'm doing a presentation on looping... for instance, having the same kids and same teacher stay together for 2 grades, say K-1. Anyone have thoughts on this idea? or experience with this? having quotes fro real teachers seems to make presentations better. :)

Thanks! :)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 22, 2002

Many years ago I taught a second/third grade combination class. I had the second graders for two years. I loved it. I got to know the kids and thier families and I really had a grasp of where each student was and how to move them along.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 23, 2002

I have always been a 'loopy' teacher! In montessori you find it most beneficial to the children as you know where they are working at/what level or lessons have to be introduced. They know your expectations, and have great trust in you.
    I think it takes six weeks of a school year away almost a quater of your year establishing your rules, expectations, procedures etc..
    Having the same students allows you to return into the groove where you left off. You dont loose 1/4th of the year like non looping teachers. You can get more work/skills/lessons done at the very first day!
    You as a compassionate, nurturing person bond tremendously with a child you have had more then one year. There is only 20 days a month we are with the students x ten months. Instead for a looping teacher, she doubles that and the relationship.
    Ruth

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 23, 2002

I think that looping has the potential for tremendous benefits, especially since the teacher already knows the students.

The downside I see is that if a child has a teacher who does not accomodate his or her learning styles, the potential loss of two years of academic instruction could be very damaging. I think back to one or two of my own teachers and there is no way my parents would have allowed me to stay in their classes for two years. Similarly, some students will get on the teacher's nerves so badly that a fresh start will be welcomed in the fall. The prospect of having that kid who drives you nuts each day drive you nuts each day next school year too is kind of discouraging.

Obviously these are not very scientific reasons, but speaking from a personal level, I would be just a little hesitant to try looping. After making materials and lesson plans for my grade level all year, it would be hard work to turn around and start all over with a higher grade level the next year. I also think it would be a hard adjustment in terms of teacher expectations. I teach 3rd grade: my kids come to me still as second graders. If I were to teach them this year and next, I would end the next year with students who are approaching the fifth grade level in terms of behavior, attention span, interests, and abilities. To go down to these budding 3rd graders the next year could be frusterating.

Just some thoughts. It seems like the benefits for students are greater through looping, but it may be harder for teachers. I know of a school that discontinued the looping because it could not retain teachers- no one wanted to move grades, especially K and 1 teachers, because those two grades are worlds apart in terms of structure. A high teacher turnover may already exist, so the looping may be ineffective (the kids will frequently have new teachers, anyway). Transient populations would experience the same- in some areas, children do not stay in the same school for more than a school year.

Hope this helps! :)

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 23, 2002

Our school, along with several others, are going into the Project Child instruction. I think this is the answer to the looping issue. It is both advantageous to the child and teacher.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 23, 2002

project child

margo, forgive me, i dont know what project child is, can you clarify?:D

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 23, 2002

Project Child is based around clusters. There are three teachers per cluster - a kindergarten, first and second grade homeroom. In that homeroom, the teacher teaches science and social studies. Each teacher is proficient in either reading, writing or math. The children rotate during the day to each different teacher for those classes. So the kindergarten teacher may be teaching math to K, 1 and 2 but they are not responsible for teaching reading and writing.

The instruction used in class is also different. The children are held more responsible for their own learning. Rather than teacher directed instruction, it is more student directed. They have stations that they go to. The stations remain the same for a two week period. The students must complete the tasks as each station.

The children remain in that cluster for the three year period (assuming they started as kindergartners). At this time, we only have three clusters of Project Child and the rest of us are regular teachers as this is our first year doing this. But I think if the coming years the entire school will become Project Child.

The teachers that I have talked to that are doing the Project Child absolutely love it. I am not sure if I have explained it 100% correct as I have not experienced it hands on. But I think you get the general idea.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2002

Looping sounds great, but 2 years with some children is just too much! I currently teach Kindergarten & I can't imagine going with them to 1st grade & then having to back to Kindergarten! There is such a difference from the beginning of the year in Kindergarten and then to add a year of 1st grade. I think it would be very hard to go back to the lower grade.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2002

When my daughter was in first grade she looped into second. In this school, both the teacher and the parent had a say in whether or not to loop on with the teacher. That way, those who had a personality clash with the teacher could choose to be switched. The teacher also could indicate that a student might be better served elsewhere. Seemed to work. Also, my daughter entered that school mid-year, so I was especially pleased to get more continuity.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 29, 2002

Thank you all so much! If you don't mind, I'd like to quote some of you in my presentation... I'll assume it's OK unless you tell me otherwise. :)