Looping

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 17, 2011.

?

How do you feel about looping?

1. I have looped before, and I enjoyed it.

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. I have looped before, and I did NOT enjoy it.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. I have never looped, but I would like to someday.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. I have never looped, and I do not want to.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 17, 2011

What are your experiences with looping?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

I voted in this thread even though I'm not an elementary teacher. I am the only Latin teacher at my school, so all my 2nd year, 3rd year, and AP students have been with me for 1, 2, or 3 years.

I love working with the same students for a few years because it really gives me a chance to get to know them as students and as people. I am able to modify lessons and activities to suit their interests and needs in a much better way because I know exactly what they need based on my own experience with them.

I also like the rapport that we develop during our years together. I have developed friendships with several students who graduated years ago.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 17, 2011

I would give it a try.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 17, 2011

I have a K-2 classroom, so I can have kids for up to 3 years. It's fun! I really get to know kids and get to see how far they come.

6. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 17, 2011

I voted I have looped before and enjoyed it. I went from 4th to 5th last year, but it was not technically looping. I only had about 8 of the same students in my homeroom. However, I did teach social studies to all students in both grades, so I did have all students two years in a row for at least one class. I absolutely loved going into fifth grade knowing all the students. I was pregnant when I had them in 4th, had my son over the summer, and started the next school year right back up again. I think looping with them really helped me relax a little with the beginning of the school year, and made it easier to go back to work. I really loved that class of 2017!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2011

Another secondary teacher weighing in.

There's only one class that I've had, identically the same, from year to year. I had them 3 times in a row: as Sophs taking Algebra II & Trig, as Juniors in Precalc, and as Seniors in Intro to Calculus.

It was great! They were a wonderful class and we became so close!

The first day of year #2, they went straight to their seats, I gave them a 20 second reminder of the rules then got started.

Year 3, on that first day, I put a Do Now problem on the board, and started with "As I was saying in June...."

There are some members of the current Junior class that I've taught 4 times. (7th grade, Algebra, Geometry and SAT prep-- and remember, there are 22 math teachers in my school.) That explains the 26 college letters of recommendation awaiting my attention. Of course they'll ask me-- I know them far better than most of their other teachers.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 17, 2011

My class is for students from grades 1-6. There are pros and cons but I personally think that 2-3 years with the same teacher is more than enough. I am going to end up having a student for 5.5 years (it'll be 3.5 years at the end of this year) due to the way my program is set up and that is way too long for the both of us.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 17, 2011

By the end of one year, even the students who I enjoy greatly, it can get tiring being in the same room with them 5 hours a day for 180 days. That is a lot of time to spend together. A change of scenery for students at that point is good.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 17, 2011

I have looped on a couple of different occasions. The first time around wasn't too bad, but by the end of the second year I thought I would go crazy. The second time I looped was not at all pleasant. I get to loop again next year, and I am not thrilled with the idea. You know the students and their strengths/weaknesses, but you also start the year knowing what kids are going to have attitudes/try to wear you down/cause problems/etc.

11. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

May 21, 2011

I'm an "other." I haven't looped before, but am looping next year.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 21, 2011

I have never looped before; but I also will be looping next year with half my class. I unfortunately will not be able to tell my class until the beginning of the year next year.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 22, 2011

I went from 1st grade to 2nd grade six years ago. My principal said I could loop, but I chose not to. I only chose two students from my 1st grade class to take with me to 2nd grade. Those two students will forever remain in my heart because I was their teacher during two of the most important school years. I taught them how to read!

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 22, 2011

YTG---Wow, what an awesome principal to let you choose the kids you wanted to take.

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 22, 2011

I have looped and loved it! I think Alice explained it best. You have this connection and continuity that makes you able to accomplish so much more. I am at a nonlooping school now, but I have students who loop by my classroom every single day to say "Hello" or tell me their grades in Math or something personal. I love it. (It's my own version of looping.) I always let kids know that they are permanent residents in my heart, so once you're my kid, you're always my kid. I guess they feel it and have responded accordingly. I'm very glad they do. I would have looped with them in a NY min. and they have asked if I could be their teacher next year. Of course, my current class doesn't like to hear that as they want me next year. :cool: However, I can accommodate none of them.:(