Looping

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Apr 2, 2011

So I got my annual review and offer for next year. It looks like I'm going on my first full loop from grade 4 to 5. I have about a week to choose if I want to do the loop or stay in fifth. I'm leaning towards taking a loop class from fourth to fifth.

I taught fifth this year and I had a really challenging class in terms of behaviors. I was the new teacher on staff and got all the new kids. I also got dumped on a little in terms of which kids placed in my class. I expected this going into a new school.

Anyway, I hear that my class next year in the loop will be the total opposite.

What are the pitfalls of looping? I've seen it in action in my school. But I want an outside view and opinions.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 2, 2011

I looped from 2nd to 3rd. I loved the relationship I had with my students and their families. Unfortunately, I got 5 new students that all came with behavioral issues. This was on top of the challenges I already had. I got very little support for those students and their behavioral issues.

I would have loved it, if I wouldn't have had the extra challenges.

So, I have very mixed feelings on looping. Some really fantastic memories & some really horrible memories. I don't think I'd loop again if given the choice. But then again, I might.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

Am I you? I'm confused.

I am going down to 4th after a challenging group of kids this year. Next year's kids (current 3rd) are a pretty good group. The current fourth are very weak.

And I live in Georgia.

So.

Either you are in my county, which is doing a lot more looping, or you are me, in which case I need to quit and get some therapy.

I'm going to loop. We'll keep in touch with the experience, unless this is my imagination, in which case, we'll really be in touch.

5. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Apr 3, 2011

I am also looping next year, from 2nd to 3rd. The group of kids I have is extremely challenging. Right now I teach them part-time, and I think having them all day next year will really benefit them. I know exactly what their strengths/weaknesses are, and feel like we'll get the year off to a running start.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Apr 3, 2011

I don't think I am you. Although I do wake up in strange places from time to time. Perhaps we are one in the same. Twins even.

Anyway, I teach in a charter school. The whole school generally loops k-1, 2-3, and 4-5. I am pretty sure I will loop.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

I think that if you have good classroom management and really work on setting up routines and procedures, then looping is great. However, if you struggle with the routines, procedures and classroom management, looping can be a nightmare.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

I looped with fourth to fifth and loved it! I had a great group of kids and I had a good rapport with them and their families. It was nice knowing what they learned the previous year and I was able to do a lot of new things with them in fifth that I probably wouldn't have been able to do had I not had them the year before.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2011

I would love to loop again and use the Daily 5 now!
    Looping has soooo many pros and you will love it.

10. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

I've looped for the past 6 years, 4-5. The procedures and management pieces save you a large chunk of time in the beginning of the year, which allows you to dive deep into your subjects right away, which allows you to cover more information at a much deeper level. It really has become an issue of scuba diving for me instead of water skiing because of the amount of time I save in those first four weeks.