Looping...yes or no

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by charli, Feb 10, 2003.

1. charli

charli Guest

Feb 10, 2003

I am looking for K-1 teachers that have looped with their children to another grade. Did you enjoy the experience or was it a nightmare? We have never looped at our school but a co-worker is wanting to try it. Please give me some info and insights! Thanks!:rolleyes:

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 10, 2003

I studnet taught with a teacher who looped...I was with her on a "new " year ..but she seemed to really like it,.....I persoanally dont think it would be fore me....while things like begining of the year rules and procedures would all be a given in september...I dont know if I could handel a second year of some of the personalities in my class or some of the parents....I mean if there is a parent who really drives you crazy...do you want phone calls and notes from them for another year?!

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 10, 2003

I think there was a thread on this about a month ago in Gen Ed or Elem Ed... there were a LOT of responses, pro and con, you might be interested in reading. Good luck!

5. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Feb 10, 2003

I am in the second year of a 1-2 loop. It has been an extremely positive experience for me and my class. I was very careful about setting up procedures and expectations for my class from the beginning and it is paying off now. I have seen children who did not start 1st grade knowing all of their letters who are reading on a 3rd grade level already this year.

I worried that children who drove me crazy last year would drive me crazy again this year but actually they grow and change so much over the summer that that has not been the case.

Looping has given me the opportunity to branch out and try new things I would have been scared to try in a more traditional setting. I have such an incredible learning community and my kids really support one another.

I definatly will loop again.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 10, 2003

Looping

I went through two cycles of looping and would do it again in a heartbeat. The second year starts at a full run (and in Florida we are running for our lives anyway!) and the kids come in glad to see you and glad to get to work. The first year, they made requests on what we would do the second year. Parents seemed to like the concept and if you had difficult parents, at least you know what to expect. I had total support and back-up from my principal. I did have one student that I asked him to remove from the "loop" the second year and he did so. Being a fourth grade teacher in Florida is very strenuous, and having a year "off" really helped me come back with a more positive attitude the fourth grade year. I also had time in the third grade year to prepare my students for what I knew was coming on Florida Writes and FCAT...the other third grade teachers prepared the kids, but without the "inside" knowledge that can only come from being in that grade.
    Be sure to keep a notebook of what you have read to the students, what writing prompts and topics you have used, copies of general letters sent home, projects you have done, etc. I also kept all of the student information and test results gathered in a notebook so the second year I didn't have to go back through files.

Good luck!