Looping With My Class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher Chele, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

My school does a great deal of looping - where you keep your same class and take them to the next grade. I'll be looping from 4th to 5th. Any other loopers out there? What do you do while the other classes are doing the getting to know you stuff?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2008

I'm looping from 2nd to 3rd grade with my kids. This is the 1st time I've ever done it, I'm looking forward to it. I'm also telling friends to remind me of how excited I am to try this when the kids are driving me nuts! (yes, there are a couple that can drive me nuts).

I have a feeling that a couple will chose not to loop with me & that's fine.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

I looped from 2nd to 3rd last year (staying in 3rd this coming year) I loved it from the aspect that I knew all of my kids except for 5 (unfortunately 3 of those 5 made things "interesting" (moms' thought they wore halos, my opinion became that they had horns).
    From the academic standpoint I knew where to start them so it was awesome. We got SOOOOO much more covered.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

I have done a 1-2-3 loop and a 2-3 loop and in the fall I will be in
    3rd with my 2nd graders from last year. I echo the previous comment about how great it is to know the student and to be able to just pick up and go. I still do getting to know you activities the first few days (just takes more effort because you constantly need new activities/books) because it is fun for them. I also give them a "quiz" about me from stuff I mentioned the previous year, it is fun to see them sweat it out on the first day!! I treat it like a whole "new" class and do procedures and rules with them because they forget over the summer. Just remember to change your game a little because they are already familiar with you.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 24, 2008

Looping was possibly the best teaching experience I've had. I looped 2nd to 3rd about 4 years ago with a dream come true class. When I began the school year I immediately picked up where I left off in June. I didn't waste a day going through routines, etc. I probably had a month up on the other 3rd grade teachers. If given the opportunity again and if I had a class I wanted to loop with I'd do it again.

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I loop 1st/2nd grade. Jump in and get started. That's the best part of looping. Don't waste a moment on the beginning of the year stuff. I told my kids on the last day of school I would see them on day 181 in August.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

This class is super-one of the best in 13 years of teaching. This is my first time to loop, so I'm glad to hear about all of your good experiences. Thanks!!!

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

I'm looping from 4th to 5th too. I have a couple new students joining us....plus I want to make some changes to routines to make it flow easier. So I am going to take at least a day or two to do some getting to know you activities (for at least our new students to get to know everyone and everyone to know them) and to introduce some new things. I didn't want the kids to think that everything would be the same....

10. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 25, 2008

I looped 7th to 8th at a previous school and it was a GREAT experience. We just jumped right in with the academics on day one. Not all that time getting to know the ins and outs of each child and you can really start differentiating instruction for each child right at the beginning. My students' scores really made a big jump that second year, too!

11. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 25, 2008

I am a K-1 looping teacher. The charter school that I work loops from K-1, 2-3, and 4-5. I absolutely love it! I have just completed my second loop, and I'll be heading back down to Kindergarten in the fall. I love that during the second year of your loop, you never really have to do the getting to know you things. We focus on what interesting things we did over our summers. You also tend to become really attached to your class which of course has it positives and negatives. I can tell you on the last day of school many of my students were crying...and so was I. You really become like a family. There were even tears from some parents. The best thing by far for me is seeing the amount of growth from the beginning of Kindergarten to the end of first grade. Holy Wow! You also know where you need to get them to be so you see the bigger picture.

The only negative that I have found is that sometimes the kids get a little too comfortable with each other and fight more like brother and sister. It is also really hard to go from the end of first grade back down to the beginning of kindergarten. That is a huge difference!

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 25, 2008

I would think the idea of looping would be adopted by more districts. The first few weeks are usually spent finding out about your students, where they are struggling and where they shine, and by looping you can get right into the curriculum at the next grade level.

13. MsVee

MsVee Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I've never heard the term "looping", but it's what I'll be doing. I'm the only teacher at my school, so I teach all grades. I might be losing a student over the summer, and I will be gaining a kindergartener or two, but essentially it will be the same class. I assume it will be a great experience for all the reasons others have said. On the other hand, I'm afraid that I'll have a harder time implementing changes. Last year was my first year teaching, and I'd like to do some things differently. I'm afraid the students will expect things to be the same, and it will just add some resistance to changing. I know that's my own issue, though; I'll just have to have more distinct ideas about how I want the class to be organized... and have the courage to insist on it!

Luckily, I found that when I made changes mid-year last year, they were accepted and complied with more easily than I expected. With a whole summer of padding, I should be able to make some big changes without a lot of resistance. Now I just have to keep that in mind....