Looping- What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MelissainGA, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

I have just been told I will be looping with my current class from 2nd grade to 3rd. I have been in 2nd grade at this school for the past 3 years. I have read some research on the subject of looping and it has several good points. Does anyone have any actual experience with looping with their class? I will tell you I mentioned the possibility to the principal earlier in the year, I have 21 students, 7 who are gifted, 8 more who are at least 1 grade level above and 6 who are on to slightly above. The end of this past week my principal told me I was looping. Any pointers on making it work? Rumor has it that our principal wants to make us a "looping school". Thanks. Melissa

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2007

I don't have any input from a teacher's standpoint but when my son was in first grade he looped with his teacher into 2nd. It was wonderful, a great experience for him. In 2nd grade she changed many of her routines so the kids knew that it was a new grade, not just a carryover of first. Her discipline plan was different to so it remained effective. I am all for looping. We were given the choice to loop with her or go to the other teacher. Every single child in her first grade went with her to 2nd. It also helped that she was a pretty terrific teacher!

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 3, 2007

I looped with one of my inclusion classes from 1st to 2nd grade. This happened 2 years ago. I have to say we were surprised because no one discussed it and was told a week before school got out.

The class I looped with was wonderful. Hard work but wonderful. The regular ed teacher and I (special ed teacher) looped together. All of the children parents also had a choice if they wanted to loop with us and they all did.

It is really beneficial for special education children since I already knew their disabilities. However, if you have dealt with a difficult child or parent, you may be in for another long year.

Since I was looping with the class, I send home a Summer Journal Log and packets to reinforce their math and reading skills. I asked them to return their work by the second week of school (optional). However, I told the parents it would be a help to keep up their skills.

I think looping is also good since you already know the children and their strengths and weaknesses. You can just continue with the working with them on their skills since you will already know them. I know that we usually spend the first 2-3 of school doing the "getting to know you activities".

I have to say when the second year was over, it was very difficult to let the children go. It is amazing how much they grow up in two years and are reading to move on. Some children did have some difficulty adjusting to a new teacher and school, since my school is a K-2 school.

I would not mind doing looping form 1st-2nd grade again. I have told my principal already.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

I've only done it once; as it turns out, I had the exact same math classes in grades 10, 11 and 12. They were an honors class and it was a total delight!

However, I can see that it might have been a problem for a child who had a hard time in my class. That doesn't sound as though it's an issue here.

I wrote college recommendations for most of the 32 kids in the class. I knew them far better than anyone in the building. It was great!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

When the students and the teacher already have a good relationship, it works out wonderfully. My daughter looped from 1st to 2nd, also, and I was very pleased.

I didn't really loop. I taught the same group 3rd grade and then 5th grade. I did it twice. (Maybe it's a loop-de-loop.)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

My sister looped with her teacher from first to second grade. My mother liked it because the teacher knew right were Sarah was and was able to continue from that point. I have never looped. But if I stay at the job I have this year I'll be hmm if Daisy loop-de-looped. I'll be loop-loop-de-loopy. I guess that doesn't really count.

8. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Feb 3, 2007

I looped with my group last year, but it was my choice. I loved it! I highly suggest it and would do it again. The kids and parents know your expectations and you already have a relationship with them.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

I have a friend who loops from 1st to 2nd then back to 1st for a new batch of kids. She really likes it, likes following the kids and staying with them for two years. I did it (sort of) from 4th to 5th, but I didn't keep all the same students. About half of my 5th grade homeroom was made of kids I had in 4th grade homeroom. I loved that group, but by the end of 5th grade I was ready to see some of them go. It would be a real problem if a child or parent didn't get along with the teacher, or the teacher with them. I also had a 5th grade class that I taught for 6th grade social studies. I had a blast, and some of them were asking if I would please teach 7th grade the following year. That was a nice complement.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 3, 2007

I might be able to loop with my class from first to second. We will be going from five teachers to four teachers, so I will probably gain six or seven kids. I don't really know if I'll be able to loop next year... I hate waiting and not knowing what is going to happen! But my principal is all for it and was very excited when I was interested in it. I think she would make it a looping school if she could, but a lot of teachers wouldn't go for it.

11. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

I've never actually looped, but I went from teaching 4th to teaching 5th language arts and social studies (twice a day). I had most of the same kids and a bunch of new kids. It was great to know where and who they were at the beginning of the year. If given the chance to loop, I would jump at it.

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

I have looped with 2 groups of kids from first to second grade. I love it!!:D It is really a good way of bonding with your students and learning their strengths and weaknesses. At the beginning of first grade, it is always hard to start with a new group of students but after a month or so (just like any other teacher) you get used to one another.

The second year is awesome. (That is the year I am in now.) We have such a great relationship and really know one another. They know the class rules and expectations and are very good about helping the newbies learn them quickly. I often hear, "Mrs. ???? doesn't like that you know." or "That's not how we do things." They really learn the routine and can pretty much run the class by themselves.

It's also great for parent helpers who come in each week. They know what to do and you don't have to re-train new people. Just let 'em go.

I also think that it is good for the spec.ed. students. They rely (sp? that word looks funny) on me and need that extra support that I can provide. I know where they are academically and can help them to improve on their skills. This goes for regular ed. students as well.

I have had several parents ask if I would be willing to go to third grade next year. I even had one tell me that she would pay me. (I'm not sure that she was kidding.) It makes you feel good as a teacher to have that type of relationship with your families. I am very close with them and will miss them terribly when they move on. In fact, I have been a part of one family's education for 4 years in a row. (2 brothers)

I can't say enough about looping and the benefits that is brings. The only downfall that I have seen is the fact that when they leave after year two, it is very heartbreaking for both you and the children. On more than one occasion, I have had a student cry because they wanted to be with me and stay. I have also had those that were with me for 2 years, come back into my classroom to help and visit. A couple of the boys that I had a few years ago are in the classroom next door this year and every morning, they try to come into my classroom to stay. I think if the teacher let them, they would.:angel: :D

Good luck to you and whatever you decide. If you ever need any advice or help, just let me know. Someone asked how long my partner teacher and I were going to do it... not sure. Until she decides to stop or we retire...whichever comes first. ;)

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 4, 2007

I teach fourth and fifth graders at the same time! Looping works for me really well. You establish so much in the first four months of the school year of routines procedures and expectations that is not wasted the following year and you can continue from where you left off! The parents also have the trust in you from the former year. NOW, if its a child who has issues- you know them already and its a continuation. If its a child who needed behavior plans or alternate academic programs from you, you know what worked and didnt work before or what has been tried and what was the outcome....

I love looping with my students. I become way too attached!

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 4, 2007

Thank you so much for the positive input so far. You are helping reconfirm my initial thoughts on the subject when I first mentioned it to the principal. I mentioned it to some of my parents during conferences (just as a POSSIBILITY) and everyone was highly receptive to the idea. The parents (and I) would be given an opportunity to opt out anyone that it is felt would benefit from having a new teacher next year. I only have 2 students out of my 21 that I think would benefit due to the fact we are really going to push these children above where the curriculum directs that they will go since they are all advanced. I worry that these 2 would not do well in this situation. They have all they can do to keep up currently. Those of you who have looped - Did it make it easier to learn the new grade curriculum with the fact that you didn't have to learn new students also? That is the only area I am really concerned about. I have finally learned the 2nd grade curriculum and remember what it felt like coming from Kindergarten to 2nd. Oh and Upsadaisy I guess I sorta did a loop de loop already because when I went from Kindergarten to 2nd I ended up getting 7 of my kindergarten students back again last year.
    Keep it up you are helping me feel even more strongly that this is a good thing.

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 4, 2007

As far as learning a new curriculum, I was very luck with the 2nd grade team. They helped out a lot. In fact, I thought it ws easier because I knew the children already and did not have to worry about overdoing it with learning soooooo many new things in a new grade.

Good luck!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 4, 2007

When I taught 6th grade soc. st. I felt I was able to concentrate on what needed to be taught rather than getting the kids ready to learn my procedures and teaching style. Of course some things did change since they were not my homeroom anymore, and we did some different types of projects and such, but it was a very smooth transition for all of us.

Learning the 4th grade curriculum and the new kids was difficult, about the same as a new teacher in a building i guess.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2007

I had a friend who looped from fourth to fifth. It was hard because the grades are similar in some ways (so the kids were like- haven't we seen this before), and it is more difficult in others.

Her kids were a totally awesome group though. They really could run the class themselves.

18. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 4, 2007

I did my student teaching and a year long subbing position at a multigrade school, which is pretty much like looping. (I had 1st/2nd). I can definitely see the benefits for the teacher and parents:
    -already know the students/families that 2nd year
    -already know what levels they are at
    - know how they work together/don't work together
    - they already know your rules/procedures, so you spend less time teaching routines

BUT, I was in a multigrade 1st/2nd as a kid, and I HATED my teacher, so that sucked. I think that it depends if you like the teacher (or in your case, if you like the particular student/parents).

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2007

I also did the semi-looping experience. I taught 2nd grade 2 years ago and last year moved to 3rd grade with about half of my class and the other half was new kids. It was a difficult class with the new kids and my appendectomy (I missed 3 weeks of class), but I'd do it again in a heartbeat:) I'd hope that the principal would ask the parents if they'd like me to have their students again first though (she didn't last time and parents were pissed).

I might be able to do it again next year. I'm back in 2nd grade and might move back to 3rd next year.

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 4, 2007

I taught second grade first for a couple of years before I started looping. However, I had never taught first grade so I had to learn the first grade curriculum. Luckily, my friend and I both began teaching first grade the same year so we did a lot of planning together with another friend who had been teaching first for many years. I have a minor in early childhood development so that helped as well. When I got back to second, I already knew the curriculum. The only thing that I find difficult is remembering what we learned at each grade level. I try to put my two cents in at grade level meetings and sometimes I end up speaking about the wrong grade's curriculum. They all know so they help me along.:D :eek: Oh well...what are ya gonna do??:eek:

Anyway, once you have done it a couple of times, it gets easier and you begin to do things only in first grade and other things only in second (or whatever grade you are teaching). This works for some and for others, it won't.

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 5, 2007

curriculum

melisa, you are in great shape if you loop, as you already know the curriculum of WHAT they should have come to you with. What you need to teach them from there is just a continuation of the last curriculum that you are comfortable with. You need some time to familiarize yourself with how the two curriculums DIFFER!

22. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

I hope to do it this year with my students...for selfish reasons though. I don't want to meet anymore students or parents. I like these kids, they know my and I know them.

23. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

:D

24. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 6, 2007

I looped with a second grade class to third. It was the best experience I had in my 22 years of teaching! The class I looped with was a dream come true class. The parents were top notch. Would I do it again? It would depend on the class I had to loop with and how the parents interacted with me.

25. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 6, 2007

My children attended a small private PreK to 8 where they had the same teacher for two consecutive years. We reaped the benefits with a good teacher. However, having a weak or "burnt out" teacher two years in a row is double jeopardy!!

26. Aprilabc

Aprilabc New Member

Feb 6, 2007

Looping is wonderful!

You are in for a wonderful experience. I have looped 2nd into 3rd (3 full rotations), and then moved to loop 1st into 2nd (another 3 rotations). I cannot imagine teaching any other way. I agree that it is extremely beneficial for all involved when expectations are known and continued throughout a two year period. But the most important aspect is being able to provide all students with the opportunity to continually improve at every level. No time is lost at the beginning of the year, and the knowledge of where each student is at when the second year begins, is so valuable.

I am now teaching a multiage first/second grade and love the advantages of looping within this type of setting as well. I know that many fear the "difficult" child or parent, but all of my experiences with all levels of children have been positive. Plan ahead, and bring in some new themes to keep both yourself and your students interested next year. Another tip is to plan for some fun, project oriented activities for the students to do over the summer. We always had a picnic the day of registration to get together and celebrate our upcoming year together.

I wouldn't trade those loops for anything. Good luck and enjoy!

April

27. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 6, 2007

I looped my class one year from 1st grade to 2nd grade and it was just super for the parents and yourself. They all knew all the rules and what I expected from them. I knew the parents and if they didn't like me their child could go to another class. Good Luck!

28. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 7, 2007

I love it also and cannot imagine going back to only teaching one grade. I think there are wonderful benefits for all involved. The kids are great, the parents are great...it's a great experience. It can be difficult at first but I couldn't imagine not taking those little ones to the next grade. I'm going to miss them next year.:(

29. Courty225

Courty225 Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

Hi Melissa,
    I teach k-5 at an on-line school for two years now and have looped with my kids. I have really liked it because it takes a little longer to get to know the kids on-line, but it's great to start out the year with the same families. You really get to cultivate your relationships with those kids/families and you can really see the kids improve. I have known teachers in the classroom who loop and they really like it. I think it's really good for the kids too because they don't have to worry about moving onto a different teacher who might be completely different from their current teacher.
    Courtney

30. mikekell

mikekell Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

NO experience with looping. Where in GA?

31. LHoward

LHoward Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I teach K-2 students in an virtual public charter school. We discussed looping with our students at the beginning of last year when our school first opened. We decided that in the type of enviroment that we work in, looping with our students would be best. When the majority of our contact with students is by phone or email, you really get to know the students. Also, we have many students who are working above grade level that could start one grade level and finish it up the following year. By keeping the same teacher, we do not have to worry about explaining the needs of a student each and every year to someone new.

However, we are only looping through certain grades, but that is due to the fact that we want our teachers who are highly qualified in certain grade levels to be teaching those grade levels. I really enjoy having the same students for several years though so that I get to know the whole family and can watch the student grow.

32. clicker

clicker New Member

Feb 8, 2007

Looping

This is my first year in a teaching situation that will involve looping. I'm looking foward to it because I feel that knowing my Learning Coaches and students will allow me to better serve their academic needs next school year. I'm a cyber school teacher and find it beneficial to monitor students' progress in academics more than one school year. However, I agree that for students (or parents) whose personality don't mesh may find it difficult. In those few and intense cases, I'm sure intervention would be available, such as a different teacher. Research that I've read, about six years ago, indicated that it was not recommended beyond two years. I'm not sure if that is still considered to be the effective time frame. I personally wish that looping was available to my children at the pre-school level.

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

mikekell, I am in newton county.

As far as the personalities of the kids and parents are concerned I only really have 2 that are inclined to "drive me nuts" on a bad day but the other 19 are some of the best kids that I have had in years and really good parents. The parents will be given the option to "opt out" of the looping but when the possibility was mentioned they didn't seemed inclined to want to go to a different teacher. I have also had a couple of other parents that have gotten wind of the fact that I am going to 3rd and want their child in my class next year. Should be interesting and I appreciate all of the positive comments. I felt this would be the group to loop with and everyone saying how much they enjoy it has made me feel that it definitely is. Now all I need is to get familiarized with 3rd grade curriculum materials.

34. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

I like looping, especially in the younger grades. I think kids need that routine, with some changes made so that they know they're in a new grade.

35. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 9, 2007

As I said, I looped from first to second (second this year) and already have had about 5 parents ask if I would continue and go to third grade. :confused: :eek: The same kids, AGAIN???? I dunno. ;)

I love it and can't wait to do it again.:angel:

36. Luvin5th

Luvin5th Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

I think looping can be a really positive thing, especially in your situation. However, I have a group of students (about 8) who had the same teacher for K, 1, and 4 and they all have comprehension issues. I am concerned that it could be because they missed something crucial in those early years, and I'm not sure how to figure out what that was.

Best of luck to you! My son looped 2-4 and 5-6. We really liked his teachers and it was good for him to feel comfortable in his environment. He is a really shy kid! I wish you the best.

37. JMJ

JMJ New Member

Feb 23, 2007

I am completing my second 4th/5th loop. Yes, moving up to 5th grade was something of a challenge after 6 years in 4th grade, but I went into it knowing that would be the case. To help with learning the new curriculum, my partner teacher (also new to 5th grade) and I agreed that I would teach all Writing/English classes and she would teach all Math classes. That did help.

The best part, as previously mentioned, is already knowing the children and the students & parents already knowing you. It makes it especially easy to start the second year because that adjustment period is a fraction of what it usually is. I can also refer to what I know we covered the previous year ("Remember when we used scientific investigation techniques with that chemistry unit we did last year? This will be similar to that.")

There is the chance of a mismatch in "chemistry" between teacher/student, teacher/parents, or student/students. Our school decided that switching to another class is an option to handle that, but only at the beginning of the second year. Then it would be similar to the conventional new year, new teacher format.

There is some research that shows that student do better with a looping format. It makes sense to me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  38. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Feb 23, 2007

I think the success of looping depends on the participants. My daughter had to loop 2-3 with a teacher who treated her like the class pet, and it was difficult for her to make friends. One year was bad enough, but during the second, kids in the higher grades were all teasing her about being a teacher's pet.

She was very happy when we moved just before she began 4th grade. She was so excited to start at a new school! (By the way, I went to meet the teacher before school and told her about the situation at the old school. My daughter is having a blast at the new one, with no fear of being treated differently than the other kids.)