Looping question / poll

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Apr 15, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 15, 2020

Hypothetically, if you were going to loop up with the same group next year, knowing every group has its assortment of wonderfully behaved kids and "beloved rascals" (as Whole Brain Teaching calls the troublemakers, haha) would you rather:

A) keep the class as is, knowing that you've built relationships even with the difficult students, or

B) mix up some students, swapping some of your more difficult kids with another teacher's, knowing they may do well with another teacher or group?

or even

C) not keep the class at all and completely randomly regroup and redistribute the students, knowing you'd have some of the same but not as many.

I'm leaning towards A. Not sure whether this is a real scenario for me, but it's a possibility. What would you choose?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2020

I would choose A. Your students are going to need lots of academic and emotional support after what has happened this year. Who better to provide that support other than their trusted, familiar teacher?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 15, 2020

Would you choose the same thing if we weren't in this weird pandemic situation, do you think?

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 15, 2020

I would choose A. My 2nd choice would be C. I would not do B.

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 15, 2020

I added to the wording a bit for choice B. Sometimes there are struggling students who may do really well with another teacher. I didn't mean it necessarily as kicking them out, more as giving them a fresh start. And sometimes there are two kids who otherwise do fine who need to be separated due to intense drama or family concerns. But the downside of that is, if you only switched a couple of students, it could make them feel ostracized, even if the intentions were to help.

I've had students in the past that were just not a good match for my classroom, despite all attempts to build relationships. That's rare though. I haven't had any issues like that this year. All students, even ones who struggled at some point, were melding pretty well when school let out.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2020

Since you have a good relationship with your students, I would still choose A even if there was no pandemic. I come from a background where I had my students for as many as five years...adding new ones each year (SPED). I treasured the relationships with my students and their families that we developed over the years. It absolutely made it easier to teach when each year I already knew what level my students were at.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 15, 2020

I looped once. Best. Experience. Ever. I still keep in touch via social media with the majority of those students (they're all turning 20 this year). It was just the perfect combination of personalities and ability levels.

vickilyn, Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 15, 2020

A. I looped probably 7-8 yrs. It is incredibly easy to have the same kids 2 yrs in a row. You save the 1st 9 weeks of school getting to know the kids and what they already know. They already know how to act in your class and how things are done. The 2nd yr, you seldom hear from parents other than the occasional check in.They trust you by year 2 that you'll get a hold of them if there is a problem and keep them informed.
    Plus, they learn a lot more when you have them 2 yrs in a row. They can't pretend to never have heard of something you taught the year before. You'd be surprised by how many kids I have had that were stinkpots part year 1, but with consistency, came around to being very lovable.
    The only exceptions I'd make is if you have a kid who is extremely violent w/out much of a conscience or a psycho parent. I had 1 time w/ a psycho mom and survived on decent terms with her year 1, shocking everyone including myself. Near the end of year2,, she went off the deep end big time. She gave me a lot of grief.
    You really end up with a close connection to those kids you have 2 years in a row too. It is amazing what 2 years together with a kid can do! :)

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 16, 2020

I would not consider C looping. That’s just you moving to a new grade level. You might have a couple of the same kids, but it’s not a loop if the majority of the class is not the same.

My school district does looping every year with all teachers in grades 1-8, where the teachers stay with the same group for two years at a time and then go back down to the lower level with a new group. The majority of the students stay the same from year to year, but some students do switch classes during a loop, sometimes even mid-year. It’s usually a joint decision between admin, teacher, and parents, and it’s very well thought out. I think the toughest parts of looping are learning the new curriculum, having some students who just get really sick of each other by the end of the second year, and having to readjust to the lack of independence when you are back with the lower of the two grades. But, as has already been mentioned, it’s so nice already knowing your kids and their parents the second year. It makes things much easier than when you don’t know them yet. You may still get new kids, because someone almost always moves in or switches from another class, but it’s still easier than starting with a whole group of unknowns.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 16, 2020

I have looped a few times, and it was great! Option A is the best, but you really have to know your kids and families. If you truly think one-two students will do better in a new placement, they can be moved out. When moving new students in to balance numbers though, you need to think about who will fit with the personality of the class. You’re making those new students fit into a dynamic that has already been created, so you don’t want them feeling like outsiders.

bella84 likes this.
  12. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 16, 2020

A-I agree with all of the above!

13. PClark

PClark New Member

Apr 16, 2020

I would choose "A". Last year I looped with my students and I really liked it. I liked that I did not have to spend a lot of time at the beginning of the school year teaching routines and procedures. While I did spend some time creating and discussing rules, it was not to the extinct that I had to do with a new class of students. I also liked that I had already built relationships with my students which is the key to getting students motivated to learn. The learning in my classroom last year was able to get started sooner than in previous years.
    Additionally, I think that students will need additional support when they return to school after this extended break. Good luck with your choice!