Looping Cons?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Jun 1, 2013.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

Officially received word that I am looping with my class to 7th grade. :clap: This was my first choice, so I'm excited.

I can think of a bazillion reasons why looping is a good thing, but are there any cons I should watch out for? I have never done it before so I want to be weary of any pitfalls in August. :unsure: The only thing I can really think of is not being able to reuse anything.

3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jun 2, 2013

In my experience, the biggest con is that you need to learn a new curriculum. DO reuse all your management techniques and abandon anything ineffective. You can tell your 7th graders that "This is how it's done in 7th grade."

By November, I found myself nearly a month advanced into the curriculum due to the time savings in teaching routines.

I predict you and your students will have a wonderful 7th grade year.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

The only one I ran into was that the students are very comfortable with you. So I when I did it I had to change up my management program a bit-otherwise they just kept testing me. My kids were very bored with our routines (although mine were much younger)-so I gave those a tweak as well.

5. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

I am the only teacher of my subject, so I have the same students continuously for grades 9-12. That's sort of like looping, I guess.

The biggest con for me is that they start to feel too comfortable and familiar, and this requires some reinforcement that I am their teacher and not their pal. That said, I love having them repeatedly.

6. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jun 2, 2013

I agree. And I wanted to add that they are all very familiar with each other. I had a looping class a few years ago, and although we were able to skip over the get-to-know-you phase, they all knew which buttons to push with each other by about March. It was hard to do seating arrangements because they all seemed to annoy everyone else. Other than that, it'll be great. :)

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 2, 2013

:lol: For real! Many of my kids have been together since 3rd or 4th grade. They really do drive each other nuts.

What they don't know is that we're getting a new student in the fall. Wrench in your plans, children! ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

I had the same kids for the most part in my first two years of teaching (pretty much the same groups of kids together as well). I agree that the kids being "too comfortable" was sometimes a problem even though my kids were sweethearts. It was also harder to change some things like routines or my classroom management because the kids were so used to me. I could explain some of the routines by saying "this is how 4th graders do things" etc.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but again part of that is probably because my kids were so great in the first place! I liked that we could hit the ground running right away at the beginning of the year and I already knew what would work with all of my students. I found I could be a lot more organized/plan ahead more because I knew the students so well.

9. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

I have never looped, but these are a few of the reasons why I would not want to ever loop.

1. They have heard all my stories and jokes.
    2. Kids get to comfortable.
    3. Kids might get bored with my same mannerisms.
    4. Would be boring for the kids, same ole same ole routines, motivational speeches, expectations..etc.
    5. Not enough variety in activities, they have seen your style.
    6. You start to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

My whole school loops, but I changed positions before I got to loop with my class. The biggest con I've heard is the same as what everyone else said-they get too comfortable with each other. They can become pretty talkative and try to get away with things.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2013

My schools keeps the kids together from kindergarten on regardless of whether or not the teacher loops with them. By the time they get to 3rd/4th you have a class that either is so friendly with each other they won't ever stop talking or a dysfunctional family that desperately needs time away from each other. I think this year I have a little of both.

If that's the only con for you though it's not that big of a deal because you'd have the same thing if you stayed in 6th and got a new bunch that had been together since 3rd. I think you'll have a good year. I'm still waiting to find out if I'm looping.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2013

I think most of these things are avoidable. It's not like you're teaching the same curriculum again. As long as you increase the rigor and expectations appropriately as the students are now a year older I think you can challenge them and keep them engaged so that they're not feeling bored and ignoring you.

13. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

Like I said, I have never looped and have no desire at all to loop. But most of the things I mentioned won't change much based on new curriculum, they are more personality, personal stories, mannerisms and teaching style/philosophy.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2013

I was going to say this! I looped twice from 2nd to 3rd grade and some of the kids got very comfortable, and I hadn't expected it. But overall it was really neat seeing them grow over two full years. How exciting!

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

I looped with half my class once and the issues others have mentioned are the issues I had also. I found it very rewarding in many ways though. I also found I was too easy on them to start because I also knew them well which made the problem of overly comfy overly hard.

16. dreamcat

dreamcat Rookie

Jun 3, 2013

When I used to sub I encountered a looping teacher. I had to sub for this lady's class multiple times because according to the principle all the other subs could not handle her class. In fact, when I got the assignment initially their was a long term sub that just quit on the spot so I had to last minute sub for 2 weeks while they found a permanent one (I did not have the sub certifications needed for long term at the time). I should have known right from the start it was going to be rough. As soon as I got settled in I had to go pick up the class from P.E. The two male coaches were struggling to get the class in order and looked like they had had it with the group and it was only October! I found out halfway through the first day that the class will not and does not listen to anyone that is not their teacher because they have had her since K and are now 4th graders. It showed too, every teacher that came by the class showed zero respect towards. I had a pretty good amount of control over them but that was not something I would want to have happen again and would advice others to not cause other professionals the same kind of hardships.

The students become way too complacent with the teacher and their classmates from what I have seen.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2013

I understand that, but what I'm saying is I don't see my students getting bored with my personality or mannerisms. I see the points about them getting too comfortable with teachers.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

I agree with this and would add that sometimes it's good to challenge ourselves in that way too. It's difficult to come up with new things/new jokes, but I think in the end we are better teachers for it.

I also agree with knowing them so well you kind of want to take it easier on them. That's especially hard when they are going into a grade that is a harder transition for them.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

Something else to be aware of is that it can be challenging for a new student to come into a classroom where the teacher has looped with the class. All of those routines that don't need to be taught, the references to last year and the familiar "inside" jokes can make the new student feel as though they don't belong.

That said, I'm thrilled that I'll be keeping about 10 of my current 28 students next year; I wouldn't want to keep the entire class, though, there are some kids who just should never be in the same air space as each other.