Looping Announcement?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jordanlee73, May 20, 2018.

1. jordanlee73

jordanlee73 New Member

May 20, 2018

I am going to be looping with my class next year. I am looking for ideas on how to announce it to my class? Has anyone told their class they are looping in a creative/fun way? Maybe like a game or something?

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 21, 2018

Your questions prompted me to wonder why so many new teachers seem to be challenged with what many of my friends would describe as "no brainers". Teaching is not rocket science and yet many simple tasks are often made more complicated than is necessary. Your long-term survival as a teacher will depend on your ability to keep it simple.

What would be the purpose of making any announcement in a creative/fun way? What made you think of using a game to make the looping announcement? How would such an approach benefit your students? IMO, these are the kind of questions that you should ask yourself about any potential classroom activity. If you have to ask others for answers to these basic questions, then I would surmise that you really haven't thought it through. Everything does not have to be fun and games.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2018

I don't agree with the previous poster. It's usually a big thing for students when they learn who their next year's teacher will be. I think you should go for something fun...maybe an activity at your year end party or something like that. Good luck and have fun planning!

5. jordanlee73

jordanlee73 New Member

May 21, 2018

The purpose would be to engage my students and make it an enjoyable learning experience for them. That is why I wake up each day :)
    You’re correct “everything does not have to be fun and games” ... but why can’t it be? I am always willing to put in the extra work if it will add value to my classroom community. Happy Monday!

ms.irene and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 21, 2018

I would just say on the last day of school "See ya next year!"

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 21, 2018

I'm really boring. I'd say goodbye and let them find out in August like everyone else does. Plus, too much changes in my district. I wouldn't want to make promises that didn't end up happening.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 21, 2018

I'd be so excited that I probably wouldn't be able to keep the secret for long.

My first year in the classroom, I taught 1st grade. My 2nd year, I taught 2nd grade. It was hands-down the best experience of my entire teaching career.

The first day of 2nd grade, I didn't need to teach rules, procedures, and expectations. They already knew 'em all! It was wonderful.

Maybe you could do a crossword puzzle and one of the questions/answers could be Teacher for Next Year.

9. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 21, 2018

I would try to make a casual announcement of see you guys next year (as a previous poster said) in my classroom and see if they catch on.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 21, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Been There likes this.
  11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 21, 2018

I moved to 8th grade with a class three years ago. When the 8th graders that year were going to the high school for a tour & scheduling, I went with them. I to,d my 7th graders I asked to go so I'd know what to do when I took them the next year.

They figured it out.

12. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

May 21, 2018

I looped last year but didn't tell them. Our school is very transient with students that numbers fluctuate so quickly, you never know if there will be a last minute classroom change.

Been There and Leaborb192 like this.
  13. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 22, 2018

OK, so now I'm curious to know that you decided to do to maximize engagement and optimize the learning experience for your students to make your announcement. As others have noted, there's really no guarantee in this line of work but, I guess if a last minute change were to occur that too would be a learning experience for all parties concerned. Whenever possible, keep it simple - you've got many years to go yet!

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 22, 2018

When do the students find out about their class placements for next year? I wouldn't make any announcements or drop any hints before then.

At my school, the students don't find about their teachers until the weekend before school starts in the fall. While we all know our tentative teaching assignments for next year, too much can change between now and September.