Loooong Commute

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AsherDasher, May 10, 2011.

1. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 10, 2011

I am just curious as to what the longest commute to work that you have made has ever been?

I go back and forth on this with my family all the time. For college I commuted a good 45 minutes (about 30 miles) one way and didn't mind it. I commute daily about 45 minutes now and don't mind it...

However, this coming fall my commute will jump to about an hour (55 miles). I am a bit nervous about this but feel that because it is highway driving and part rural it won't be as bad as driving into the city... So what has been your all time longest commute to work? ...and what car did you drive?? :p

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

Mine is about an hour.

However, it's a lot less if I use my car.

4. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 10, 2011

2 1/2 hours. I had to take a bus to the ferry, walk two blocks, another bus, and then walk 10 blocks.

This was in Brooklyn. I lived in Staten Island at the time.

5. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 10, 2011

My longest commute to work was 67 miles. Made for some long days.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 10, 2011

Before I started teaching I was in banking. Quit my job in Allentown, PA and took one a little north of Philadelphia. Until I was able to move, it was about a 75 minute commute in each direction, almost all highway and partially toll roads. That was a LONG four months.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

My longest was about 45 minutes. I drove a 2005 Tahoe.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 10, 2011

My commute is about 40 miles, but on the 91 fwy in SoCal, it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes (and that's including the toll road). If there is an accident it could add up to another hour. Been doing this for 6 years and don't enjoy it.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 10, 2011

Mine is 52 miles, almost all rural and it takes me an hour. I listen to audiobooks so it's not so bad. It's not fun, but not the worst part of my day.

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 10, 2011

My commute to college was also 45 minutes- not bad. My commute now is ten minutes less- it seems soooo much quicker now- before I know it, I am home!

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 10, 2011

My longest commute- SIX hours each way. (two hour flight, two hour drive to destination once I land, and two hour drive to drop car off at airport.)I travel for work and have this trip one more time this year, and then I'm done with this contract.

I got a new job and my commute next year will be about 10 minutes. :)

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 10, 2011

My job in Michigan was about 45 minutes each way. Since moving to CA, I've walked 20 minutes, driven 45 minutes, driven 2 hours and driven 1 hour each way. The 2 hour each way job was brutal, but it was a flexible schedule so I didn't feel the pressure to get there before the bell rang. It was still tough, though.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 10, 2011

My longest commute was 45 minutes... I was split between two schools... one was two blocks from my house, the other was 45 minutes away.

14. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 10, 2011

My drive to school is 50 miles and takes about 90 minutes each way. I've been doing it for 22 years.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 10, 2011

First job: 10-15 minutes depending on traffic

Second job (job I have now): 45-60 minutes

And honestly: I love my second job so much I don't mind the commute. :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

My longest commute has been about 20 minutes.

Then again, this is the 2nd teaching job I've ever had, and the 3rd place I've ever lived. (THe house I grew up in, the apartment I had when we were first married, and this house.)

My current commute is 12 minutes if I can somehow make the lights. (That seldom happens on a typical day, but I do hit it once in a while.)

17. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 10, 2011

Audiobooks have become my best friend. Its funny though to realize how you have to pay actively pay attention to what is being read. I have more than a few times realized that I was thinking of something else and ended up missing a few chapters. :p

18. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 10, 2011

GoldenPoppy, any pieces of advice to make the drive more enjoyable? Any tricks of the trade? Good music is a must I'm sure, and probably a comfy car as well! :)

I don't know why, but I find this an interesting topic! I suppose as long as the job that you are traveling to in the morning, and the home/family that you are heading to in the evening are both fantastic than that makes those long commutes worth the extra time. :love:

Does anyone have personal recommendations on cars with good gas mileage? I currently have a civic but it requires premium gas... I love my car but I also will not be looking forward to the amount of miles being put on as it is fairly new.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 10, 2011

My brother has been out of work for 12 months. He has finally got himself a job in London. Currently he is commuting daily from Birmingham and back, 2 hours in each direction. Hopefully soon he will find himself a flat to rent in London and only come home at weekends.

20. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 10, 2011

One of our teachers drives 90 minutes. I absolutely cannot imagine it. I'd go insane. I can't imagine wasting 3 hours of your day sitting in a car. I would absolutely not do anything longer than 30 minutes. One of the schools I student taught at was just under 30 minutes away and I still felt like I was wasting an hour of my day driving! I'm about 15 minutes away now.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 10, 2011

I'm currently still doing my long commute . . . 4 miles each way.

I was originally commuting one mile. Then they moved the school, and it doubled my commute to two miles. Then I bought a house on the other side of town, so I've been making my 8 mile round-trip commute for 11 years.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2011

My drive last year was about 3 minutes. This year, on a good day it will be between 20-25 minutes. I average 30 minutes each way.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

The longest commute I ever had for a job was about 35 minutes, that was years ago. My commute now is roughly 10 minutes.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2011

One season (11-12 wks), I worked 2-4 days a wk & drove 45 min 1-way & that was enough! But other than that, no job I've ever had was more than 30 min 1-way. For only 2 college semesters 3 or 4 days a wk, I drove about 40 min 1-way. My parents wished I didn't have to do it.

25. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 10, 2011

I currently drive around 90 minutes each way to and from work. It isn't too bad, but I have to take a major highway and traffic can be a real bear sometimes.

26. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 11, 2011

I have the cds that I enjoy in the car at all times and listen to those rather than the radio, even though I "check-in" with the big new talk station around here for traffic reports if it looks to be slow. Lately I've been hooking up the laptop and dictating with Dragon. I'm writing a children's novel about California history and have found that I can think out loud quite well until I get on the freeway, which is about the last third of my trip. I eat breakfast in the car on the way to school - finger food like cheese chunks, nut clusters, and bananas. I have a TomTom gps that is good for entertainment purposes - I like to see if I can beat the time estimates to each of my turns by at least a minute while still obeying all the rules of the road. I don't worry about other drivers. I just get in the right lane and keep to myself.

I drive a Town & Country mini van. The mileage isn't wonderful, but it isn't terrible. The car is comfortable and I feel safe around all the big truck, etc., on the freeway. I drove a smaller car for years and always felt like I was about to become the filling in an 18-wheel sandwich.

You're right about where I live and where I teach being worth the drive. I live on a farm on an island out in the delta and teach just outside San Francisco. I have the best of both worlds. At home are DH, my barn cats, and a quiet haven where I can lock the gate and keep out the world. I love my school (a small private school). We have small classes, lots of freedom to teach as we see best, great people to work with, and a fantastic director. Life is good in my part of the world.

The only time we have had difficulties with me being so far from home were the times when DH has needed me quickly. He fell off the tractor once and called me at school from the back pasture. That was a very long 90 minutes until I could get there.

27. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

May 11, 2011

When I changed jobs, I cut my commute from 90 minutes to 4 minutes.

When I commuted 90 minutes, podcasts were my best friend. It didn't take me long to get sick of all the music I owned, but you can download new podcasts every day and listen to them while driving. I'm a sports guy, so I grew to love Dan Patrick during my commuting days.

28. Tealsmith

Tealsmith Rookie

May 11, 2011

Mine is 30 seconds if I drive or 4 minutes if I walk. I live next door to my school. Unless it is raining or I need to carry something, I walk.

29. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 11, 2011

Mine is about an hour because of heavy traffic on surface streets. If I took the major hwy it would take me twice as long to travel 26 miles.

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2011

My longest commute was about 30 min. Shortest about 7min. Currently about 15-20 depending on lights & if I have to stop to pick my teenager up from practice.

31. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 13, 2011

My longest commute for any job was about 20 minutes (that was when I worked for a bank).

My current commute is about 7-8 minutes. My previous school was about 10 minutes away.

A few days ago, I promised my kids ice cream after lunch but forgot it in my freezer at home. I drove home during morning recess (which is 20 minutes long) and arrived back at school before the ball rang!

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 13, 2011

I think it is important to live atleast outside of the neighborhood of your school. I would not want all of my students being able to not only know where I live, but be that close to my home.

33. ally06

ally06 Companion

May 13, 2011

My longest is my current one - about 10 mins in the morning and 20 in the afternoon if traffic is really bad!

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

That's one of the (few) downsides to my job. As a Catholic school teacher in a large school, our 2500 kids come from something like 72 districts. They're EVERYWHERE!!! One of the Senior boys passes my house every day on his way home from the late bus after track practice. One of the Junior boys lives on my street, 2 blocks down. I ran into one of my (favorite) geometery students at Easter Sunday mass. (In fact, SHE is the reason we adopted Brian, but that's a different story.) I ran into one of my students a few years ago at a family wedding; she was at another event at the same venue.

It's pretty much just part of the job. Not a big issue- I'm pretty much who I am. As a suburban mom of 3, I'm doing the things my students would expect me to be doing, so I'm OK with running into them. But I can absolutely expect to run into either my students or my husband's (he's in another school with roughly the same demographic) anywhere I go.

35. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 14, 2011

Such is the shortage of teachers in London they bus staff into the Capital from Wales (about 200 miles away) on Mondays and bus them back again on Fridays!

36. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 14, 2011

Boy, now that must be nice! :thumb:

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

My commutes to my first teaching jobs were 45 minutes to an hour each way. Since returning to work after being at home with my children for 10 years, my longest commute has been 15 minutes. My current one is anywhere between 5 and 9 minutes depending on how I hit the lights.

38. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 15, 2011

It sure seems like timing is everything! Trying to get the green lights instead of the latter.

39. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 15, 2011

I currently drive an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the traffic and time of day. It's not bad.... since I have unlimited minutes and my parents/friends/grandparents love to talk to me :) I've listened to music and books on cd to pass the time. After 4 years of doing the commute it doesn't seem that bad at all. I have driven a '03 Ford Escape and a '00 GMC Sonoma truck. My husband now keeps the Escape at home since he stays with the kids. I drive the truck. I don't get as good gas milage but it's not horrible. I just rationalize it in my mind that this coomute is putting me (and my kids) in a better school system compared to where I live now.

40. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 15, 2011

Teaching-n-2, if you don't mind me asking, how many miles is the drive? The mileage is what worries me about my commute (will be doing it this fall). I have calculated I will have to fill up on gas every three days or so...!

41. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 16, 2011

Only takes me about 15 minutes to get to work (a little extra if I decide to bike there :)) When I was in college, it took me almost an hour when I lived off campus, because I had to take the bus every day- that wasn't so fun...