Looking to move from NY to PA or NJ in a few years...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnthonyA, Mar 6, 2011.

1. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Mar 6, 2011

Does anyone happen to know what I would need to do in order to become certified in another state such as PA or NJ?

I have my Special Ed & General ED. 1-6 (and will have my ESL k-12 cert. by the summer).

I assume I would have to take their state cert. exams, but I'm not sure.

Any information in general would be appreciated! Again, this wouldn't be until a few years from now anyway...

Thanks in advance! :)

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Mar 6, 2011

I'm PA certified for Elementary, and they take the praxis exams. You could go onto ETS's website to view which tests you would need to take. I'm sure you are well aware of the job situation in both these states. It's not good at the moment. I must of handed out 100 applications and still no full time position. Best of luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2011

Praxis...check the NJ DOE website.
    The job market is tight in NJ.

5. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 6, 2011

Well the good thing about being certified in NY is that since NY's standards are so high, you should be considered highly qualified in just about any state. As far as state cert exams go, you will have to check with each state. I'm assuming that you've already taken the LAST, ATS-W, Elementary CST, and Sp Ed CST. I would mention that you have taken and passed all four (5 if you have ESL). You may not have to take the Praxis.

6. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Mar 6, 2011

Yes, I have taken all 4 exams (passed them first time) & waiting for the results from my ESOL state exam.

I'm teaching 1st grade Special Ed. now.

So, I will contact each state's dept. of Ed and find out for sure. I was hoping I would not need to bother taking another state exam, but looks like that's not going to be the case.

Thanks for the replies...

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 6, 2011

Contacting the dept of ed is your best bet.

But I'll just add to what the others said, it's not a good time to be looking for a teaching job in either NJ or PA right now, and it seems as if the next couple of years will just be worse. Budgets are being cut in many, many districts.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 7, 2011

NJ you have to pass the Praxis tests-- not too bad. The NJ dept of Edu gives you a checklist of what you need to do to get a Jersey license.