Looking to connect with new Kindergarten teachers.....

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kmcole4, Jul 25, 2005.

1. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Hi All~

I am a new Kindergarten teacher this fall in Massachusetts public schools. I am 29 and have worked as an ed. assistant for 6 years. I am basically looking for other first year teachers (Kindergarten) to connect with to share ideas and 'game plans'. Write back to this post if interested---I definitely need to vent at times and am very creative. The team I am working with is fantastic and I know I can go to them about anything, but I want to stand on my own as much as possible so I am definitely looking for someone out of the group to work with too. I am big into team teaching and sharing everything, good and bad. THANKS!!!

3. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

WOW!! I read that over and it definitely sounds like a personal ad!!! SORRY!! (x hahahah, hahahaha x)

4. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

"Oooh Teach Me" Teacher Personals--For Educators and those that love them!

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

I'm teaching a K/1 special ed split. But I'll be using the K stuff. I'm good at listening to vents.

5. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Ha, Ha! Too funny! Is this your first year in K?

6. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

Hellooo Kmcole4,

I am also a first year kindergarten teacher! But unlike you I have NO formal expeirince besides field experience and student teaching, I just graduated from college in May and recieved a teaching position at my first chioce school in March. I would definatley be interested in connecting with you and other first year teachers as well. I think it would be great to share 'game plans'-- as of now I really don't have one. (ha) But it's all new to me, so I would definatley appreciate all the support from any teachers out there.

I have found this forum to be fantastic for a new teacher like myself! email me!

7. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

Hi!!! This will be my 1st year teaching and I just happened to have been lucky enough to get Kindergarten. I am very excited, nervous, apprehensive, etc..... I will actually be team teaching with a 2nd year teacher. Any ideas, problems, concerns, and game plans are welcome!!!! I think us newbies need all the support we can get.

Look forward to sharing.....

Christy

8. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Awesome!!!

I am psyched that you guys are receptive to this!

Okay, well so far I have set a meeting the second week in August to get together with the other two Kindergarten teachers on my team just to touch base and get ideas etc. I talked to one of them today--she is a doll! She was new last year so I am really leaning on her for input and feedback. She said not to worry about curricullum stuff right now and to just get settled as far as unpacking the class and setting up. Also, she said to paint the bulletin boards in primary colors and put up my borders and any other posters I want. Then, she said I should start looking at my circle/meeting area and figure out what I need; calendar, pocket chart, weather graph, etc. So for now ---starting tommorrow that is my focus---to set up as much as I can each morning before I go to my sumer job at noon, then to make materials for meeting area after work. I found a great website with little chants and songs about behavior and class rules etc.

http://www.kindergarten.com

Click on the free stuff pencil and there are tons of cute chants and stuff.
    that's my game plan right now--what are you guys doing?

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

Not a first year Kindergarten teacher but would be willing to help any way I can.

10. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

This is my first year period. Just graduated in May.

11. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Hello, this is my second year teaching (Kindergarten). I am not BRAND new but I still love to get new ideas and still need help so I would love to keep in touch also and I can also give support for things that I know of. We go back to work in two days so right now I'm busy getting ready!

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

It's my first year teaching too. But I'll be 49 the week after school starts, so obviously I have a lot of life experience behind me!! A mid-life career change can be stressful for lots of reasons, but I also feel very prepared for many aspects of working with students, colleages, and parents!!

Don't be embarrassed about your first post...it's good to know your strengths in such a demanding job! And I would describe myself as creative and highly motivated too. Creativity will get you through LOTS of those moments when you're just not sure what to do...and veteran teachers, I'm finding, love to have a breath of fresh air if it comes with new ideas! Let's keep talking! :love:

13. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 25, 2005

I am not new to Kindergarten, but new in my district. I would love to be able to listen and to have a spot to vent too :) Good luck to all brand new Kindergarten teachers! You will love it, although some days you will wonder what you are doing-especially the first week of school-teaching them how to line up in a line, etc. :)

14. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Is it easier for you all to post to this website or do you think it is easier to use personal email? I am almost leaning towards personal email because of the link factor etc. I definitely want to establish a group. Thanks!

15. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 25, 2005

I taught K for 5 years, so I always try to jump in when it pertains to K. :) It's a fun age to teach. And I can definitely remember what that first year is like.

16. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I am also a soon-to-be new Kindergarten teacher. I taught preschool (4-5 year olds) for 2 years, and I'm moving up to K this year. I'd also like the chance to connect with other new teachers.

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

Wow, KMCOLE--that's a super website! I already copied several sections into my Favorites for future use. The thing about being a first-year teacher is, I have no idea when I will need what!! But now I'm ready for letters, numbers, and a zillion easy transition poems and songs. Thanks for the tip.

18. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I'm not new to K, but always looking for great, new ideas!!! I like to vent, too, and offer help when I can! Hope you don't mind those of us who 'Aren't so new" either! :)

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

I am a kinder teacher too but I have been teaching k for a few years now. I am always learning something new and trying something new in the classroom. I will be starting in a new district so I am sure I will need to vent sometimes too.

21. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

kmcole4 -

Love the kindergarten website!!!! :thanks: :D

22. ESL-K-Teacher

ESL-K-Teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

This will be my third year teaching and it will be K for the third time, but I will be working in a new school and I mean brand new, they are still building it, which worries me I must say ! I'm always the only K teacher in my school as we have only one class per grade, so I'm always looking for new ideas.

Sylvie

23. KAS26

KAS26 New Member

Jul 25, 2005

xxx

I am a new Kindergarten teacher too! I am very excited. I have been busy buying all sorts of stuff for my classroom. I would love to be able to talk with other K teachers. I look forward to getting to know everyone. :)

24. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

Another perspective to add to this....how many of you are working with a co-or team teacher? I am, and I'm thrilled. However, it puts a bit of uneasiness into the mix since the classroom isn't "mine." I have to share space and decorate cooperatively, etc. The good news is, I'm already resigned to the fact that I am a "follower" this year; my team teacher (a he!) will be a great support as I get through this first year, and I have no designs on proving much more than I can teach!

If I had a room of my own, I would likely have planned my walls and doors, etc., but I have to sit on it a bit. We are getting together at the classroom this coming Friday, so I'll know more then!

25. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I'm a new kinder teacher too. It's my first year (just graduated last december). I did my student teaching in 4th grade so i have many questions about this grade/age! I'm excited and nervous for the first day (aug 4th)....dont really know what to expect!

26. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I wanted to add that I'm doing a jungle safari theme...does anyone else have any other themes like that? Or any other themes in general?

27. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

WOW! This is great--thanks to everyone!!

Today I went over paperwork with personnel office and got a class list. There are officially 16 kids! YAY! I also went to The Learning Tree and bought bulletin board borders and 2 posters--one was occupations and the other was a birthday chart. For the door I bought a big smiley sun and an apple tree. I definitely have to paint the bulletin boards--they don't let us paper anymore--so that is my next feat!

What are you guys up to? (prepping, purchasing etc.)

I thought about a themed room but didn't want to lock in because childrens interests are different etc. I LOVE the jungle idea though--I would have done that had I thought of it! Does anyone use a character stuffed animal in the room? Last year in first grade as an assistant the teacher I worked with used Clifford everywhere! She used the stuffed animals as table rewards for tables that were doing a great job cooperating and listening. She just placed it on their table and left it there for the day. I though about doing Snoopy---but in Kindergarten they don't really have deska or assigned seats or anything.......how are you guys setting up tables? Thanks!

28. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Oh--Idea to share!!!

oaktag chart paper with songs written on it, laminate, punch two holes with single hole punch and use metal rings(clasps) to attach them to plastic coat hangers! SOOO COOL! They can be moved everywhere in the room with extreme ease!

29. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

srh -

I will also be team teaching!!! I am excited about it, but it makes it difficult when trying to plan. :eek: I start new teacher orientation this Thursday (until next Wednesday). Then I go to my school on next Thursday (big meeting), and then on Friday we have Kindergarten orientation. School officially starts Aug 8 for the kiddos. I don't know how I am going to get everything done!!! Hopefully I will be able to get up with my team teacher before next Thursday, but if not I know it will all fall together. :D

30. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

The jungle theme is cool and POPULAR--I saw some pictures on the internet, but I can't remember what sight. I'll post back and let you know. I picked a train theme. but it is not so popular for the beginning of school so I may change it to frogs--I was unable to find decorative accents for my room.

kmcole4, I have bben purchasing stuff, but I am waiting on a budget from my school, so I don'e have to spend much of my own money, so I have been making things I saw a cute "hallway" poem on the internet so I typed it up and drew some students standing up in line at the bottom- Next time I go to the teacher resource center- I will ask them to blow it up and laminate it--Its all free!

I will be the only teacher in the classroom and I believe I may have 17-22 kids with a rotating para. I am thankful to have a para. I am teaching in the same nieghborhood in which I grew up--my first choice--so I am excited. Some of the other schools in the same nieghborhood are title 1 schools but this one is not, but I still will deal with some students who may have economic issues. I was trying to do some research on urban schools and their students, but I guess absolutley nothing can prepare you for the actual classroom. It seems that no matter what I do I still feel more unprepared than I started out. I have my behavior plan together, rewards and consquences, treasure box, procedures listed and 10-15 first week activities, and yet I feel overwhelmed, excited and doubtful. I know I should have high expectations for the coming year, but the closer it gets, the more apprehensive (sp) I become.

Does anyone else feel like this? Veteran teachers, will it go away? when?

31. MNgirl

MNgirl Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I am also going to be a kindergarten teacher for the first time. I graduated in May 2002, since then I have been substitute teaching. I am really interested in emailing ideas back and forth. Feel free to email me whenever.

I haven't really gotten into the school mode yet. I have been reading some instructional books, looking over curriculum materails, and looking for some good music for my class. But I haven't been to the school to meet with teachers or set up my room yet.

32. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Jaz-
    Thanks! What is the treasure box thing and your behavioral plan? Just curious are you starting with positive praise I haven't nailed one down yet but we have a Pillars of Character citizenship program at our school so I will rely on that alot.

33. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 27, 2005

Hi kmcole4! Kindergarten is a great age! This is my second full year teaching Kindergarten and this site is a great resource and sounding board for everything you originally posted. My advice would be to keep your conversations/posts through the forums so that the rest of us can give advice, opinions and even better yet, learn more from each other. There are some wonderful teachers with great ideas who visit this site.

I just started working in my room today. I think I spent half my time just throwing things away. I can't wait to bring my stuff and get everything put away. I'm already starting to have dreams about school and it doesn't start for 2 1/2 more weeks. :)

34. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2005

jaszmyn - What you are feeling is normal. I don't teach K, but every year I think "How can I do this?". It gets much better once you are there and get started; the anticipation is the hard part, for me. (I don't mean to sound like I don't want to be there, I am always ready to go back, I just have mini panic attacks about doing everything well!)

35. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

HI, I'm also teaching Kinder for the first time this year! I am excited but nervous. I'm used to teaching 2nd and 3rd and this is a big switch. I am looking to connect and share ideas with others. My email is teacheskidz@swfla.rr.com
    Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Renee

36. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

kmcole4,

Check out my other threads for the treasure box and behavior management. I picked up some really great techniques in my students teaching and I am still in the same district, so I don't have to change much. But N-E-WAYZ. The pull-a-card system is something that I actually seen in action and works great!! It takes alot of time during the beginning of the year to implement but it pays of in the long run, b/c the studnets can manage their own behavior. How many and what colors you use are up to you.

37. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

38. jacide

jacide Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

New Teacher!

I just graduated in May and will be teaching Kindergarten for my first year. I'm excited and love the idea of sharing ideas with other new teachers!

My school does staggered entry for the first week of school where a few students come each day to introduce them to school. I want to do something exciting to welcome them to school and Kindergarten which is why I liked the GIngerbread Man activity. I think that it would be memorable for the students, but I have to do the first day of school multiple times. Does anyone have any ideas to do on the first day?

39. missmc

missmc Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

I'm also a brand new teacher - so glad I landed a K position! I look forward to coming here for advice and to vent as well. Let's keep our communication on the board (versus private email) just so we can all see each other's ideas and advice. That's just my humble opinion. :)

srh and kinder4me - I'm team teaching too! I think I'll like it but my main concern right now is how to decorate the room, or if I can even decorate it at all. My partner teacher has been teaching for 8 years so she has her own thing going, I haven't started a darn thing yet. Don't know what to start on! This is making me nervous. I don't have her number or I would call her and meet with her but I won't see her until the week before school starts. What do you think I should be doing right now? I guess I'll be following her lead as far as lesson plans and themes... ?

Thanks

40. natalie22

natalie22 New Member

Jul 30, 2005

SO glad

I just got hired yesterday. I am a first year Kindergarten teacher, too! With so much on my mind I am awake at 3am thinking of Kindergarten activities. This Kindergarten Connection website is great! so are all the others suggested. I think it's cool we have each other as we embark on our exciting new journey. We should all be confident that we will do a wonderful job and the students will be happy to see us! I give all the team teachers credit for having to be so flexible and sharing everything in their room. You will all be great role models for the students who are learning to share and be kind to others.

I am wondering what you other K teachers are doing about parents on the first day. We have an orientation before the first day of school. Do you think the parents will want to stay? I just want to be able to accomadate them if so.

What kind of things do you think will the parents what to know at orientation?

41. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

missmc, can you call the school and get her phone number or email to contact her? you can explain that you want to help, but don't know where to begin... she'd probably like that!