Looking to change career to teaching....ok, now what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr. CMG, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Mr. CMG

Mr. CMG New Member

Jun 29, 2009

Hi everyone,

I realize this probably isn't what your forum is designed for, but I stumbled across you in my internet searches and thought I might be able to find some assistance. All info I've found thus far seems to be an advertisement for online universities and I have a hard time trusting that information.

To make what could be a long, rambling story short, I should have followed my instincts several years ago, but instead felt I needed to chase a paycheck. Now I have a Bachelor's in Business and some regrets.

So...I want to become a teacher, but I really don't know where to begin. I know requirements are different for each state and I've looked into Michigan's. I know that I need a teaching certificate. Does this just get me in door? Without further education/degrees, am I only qualified to teach "business classes"? Any information/websites you can provide or point we towards would be greatly appreciated. Imagine I'm completely ignornant, because I think I'm darn close.

Thank you in advance for anything you can provide! I'll be in and out.

3. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I'm not familiar with how things work in MI, but in KS you would have to take education classes while teaching under a licensure waiver in whatever subject/level you were taking classes in. My advice, if you don't get any more information on here (or as a way to verify what you are told here) would be to contact an area university's college of education and discuss the particulars of your situation with them. If you don't have a university within a reasonable distance, you might be able to get some information from your area school's administrative office.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

Ha! Good sense of humor. Cool.

I was a secretary (with a BA in art) for 10+ years before I went back to school - and just started teaching at 40. I LOVE it and have no regrets. Go for it!!

If you have a BA in biz, then you probably have 95% of your gen ed courses done. Now all you have to do is go back for two years and get your education courses so you can become certified.

My only regret is that I didn't go back full time right off the bat. I didn't think my husband and I could live off of one paycheck, so I stretched two long years into three by going part time so I could keep working. I found out that yes, we COULD live on one paycheck and I could have been teaching a year sooner had I gone back to school full time right away instead of hemhawing around. Just sayin'. :whistle:

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2009

Mr. CMG, you're more than welcome here. By the way, confessing ignorance is the first step in dealing with it.

Every state differs in its process for licensing teachers. What's more, each state in which people can major in education differs in its process for licensing people who already have a bachelor's in something other than education. In your case, I'm guessing that you intend to teach on the secondary level.

Here's a useful link for you:

http://www.mttc.nesinc.com/MI13_requirements.asp

This is the Web site of the Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification, and in particular the page that spells out some requirements for certification. This page suggests that, to teach outside of your college major, you need just to pass the corresponding subject-matter test (in some states, one also needs a certain number of college units in the subject).

Chances are you will also need to take some coursework in how to teach - at least, I hope you will. Please check this with the Michigan Dept. of Education Web site or with a live person - if you were in California, I'd direct you to the local county office of education, but Michigan may be organized differently.

When you're ready, you'll find discussions of teacher tests in the Examinations for Teachers forum, which you can access via the Forum Jump tool at the lower left of this page.

Best of luck!

6. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I too have a Bachelors in business and I started teaching at 42. Does Michigan have an alternative certification route, SC does.
    I went the traditional route and got a Masters of Arts in teaching in Early Childhood Ed. and added Elementary and Learning Disabilities while I have been teaching.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

Welcome! There are certainly many people on these boards who ask similar questions.

You could look up Michigan's dept of ed. site and find the teaching requirements. But I would call the dept of ed and say "I have a business degree. I want to teach _______. What do I need to do?" They can probably give you a straighter answer, and I know the people at the DOE's that I have worked with are very helpful.

There is also a job seekers forum on here that might be more helpful. And maybe one for people still in college? not sure.

8. Mr. CMG

Mr. CMG New Member

Jun 30, 2009

Thank you all for the input and Groupie for the link. It's good to hear others have hit the life reset button and come out happy.

I am close to a university and am going to check it out. I'm a little nervous for some reason about taking the first step but I'm sure this is the direction I want to move.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll have an update soon .

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 30, 2009

Of course you're nervous: change is a source of stress. When you're teaching, remember this, because you'll see it in your students as well.