Looking Forward to Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 27, 2015

After months and months of planning, tomorrow is our Annual Community Service Day!

All high school students will work in student-led crews at the homes of local residents ... raking, washing windows, painting, preparing gardens, cleaning gutters, removing limbs, etc.

It is particularly special this year. This has been a way to give back to the community who supports our school at athletic events, musical performances, drama productions ... but just earlier this month our community voted in a bond to allow our school to build storm shelters, additional classrooms, a multi-purpose facility, and more. What a HUGE thank you we owe them this year!

I've spent many an hour beyond my contract (along with a few others) to pull off this day, but it is SO worth it.

Giving our students an opportunity to cultivate a heart for service is an extra special task!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 27, 2015

That is really cool! I love school projects that benefit the community. I hope it goes well!

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 27, 2015

Amazing. What a great relationship you are building between the families of the community and the schools. This will have a direct impact on student achievment.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2015

I love reading about this--this is truly a remarkable event.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 28, 2015

Best wishes and have fun!!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 29, 2015

230 students
    30 teachers
    30 homes and businesses

IT WAS AMAZING! I didn't hear a single complaint from students. They all worked so HARD! My arms and hands are sore this morning from raking. My group washed windows, planted flowers, weeded flower beds, moved dirt, replaced mulch, raked (and raked and raked) leaves ... we worked at 2 homes, both belonged to elderly folks. They were so impressed by the students!

We had 20 work crews (a dozen students each), a painting crew, 2 crews dedicated to cleaning gutters, 2 crews dedicated to picking up all of the bagged leaves and trash, 2 gopher crews bringing ladders, bags, etc, 2 buses moving kids around town ... It was a well-oiled machine!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2015

Congrats to your students and your school, ku, for making a difference in your community and showing what "it's all about".

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2015

I love this. The goodwill and good feelings these people and the community will have cannot be measured. And the kids will benefit greatly. Homerun.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2015

I remember doing the same project in high school! It was a lot of fun and a great community event!

11. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

This is such a great idea! How did you find the two homes that you provided the assistance to?

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 29, 2015

Our students serviced 30 different homes and businesses over the course of the day. My work crew had 2 of those homes.

This is the 2nd year we have done this.

We created an application that described the services we could provide (raking, limb removal, gutter cleaning, window washing, garden preparing, trash hauling, shrub pruning). Then we handed out those applications at school events (basketball games, winter musical). Then, we also put applications at everyone's home near the school. The event was advertised in the newspaper and the application was on our school website). Those applications were mailed back to the school.

A construction company has donated supplies (e.g. 60 rakes, 30 shovels ... paint brushes, work gloves, tshirts) for this event for the last 2 years.

We mapped out a dozen different areas/neighborhoods that students worked.

We bused work crews to neighborhoods.

Work crews consisted of 5 to 13 students. Each crew had 1 or 2 student leaders and 1 or 2 teacher supervisors. Some crews were specialized (e.g. just cleaning gutters, just painting, just picking up bagged leaves and trash). The remaining groups worked the remaining jobs at 2 or 3 homes.

13. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I love it!! Thank you!