Looking Forward to New Year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jun 23, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

That giddy feeling started bubbling up inside me today. I'm looking forward to a new school year!

Anyone else?
    :celebrate:

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 23, 2010

I'm getting that feeling... which is funny because I still have a day and a half before I'm done with my current students.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

Not yet. Still recuperating from a really stressful year!

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 23, 2010

Haha, I already have my class list typed up! I have already started planning for two specific students and how I am going to get through to them.

6. monsieurteacher

Jun 23, 2010

I had a parent meeting yesterday after school planning for one of my students next year :lol:

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 23, 2010

I too am super excited! I'm still waiting to find out which position I will have at my new job. Then I will hopefully get to see my room/ space so I can start planning. :thumb:

8. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 23, 2010

I cannot wait either. It's exciting because we're opening a new school and all the programs and activities are starting from scratch. I love becoming a big part of these pilots! :)

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 23, 2010

Most definitely ready. I think I started planning for next year on the last day of this year. :lol:

10. monsieurteacher

Jun 23, 2010

I'm especially excited because after three years of teaching, this is the first time I will have my very own classroom from the beginning to the end of the year (even if I only work in the mornings).

11. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

I am really excited too! It seems like it will take awhile tho! I am currently teaching summer school, so it takes the edge off. But I am having a blast setting up my classroom and can't wait til there are kids in it!! =)

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

I am in ways. I always love the beginning of the year! I will get a new team member which will hopefully make my entire life go more smoothly (honestly- anyone would be an improvement- ANYONE).
    On the flip side, this group coming up has a LOT of behavior problems. My P has said many times how she can't wait until this group moves on to middle school. Plus, I will have about 5-6 kids more than I had this year in a teeny-tiny room. So, in that sense, I am dreading next year. But, it is just one year- I will just have to be the strictest teacher ever!

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 23, 2010

I haven't gotten excited yet, but give it another month. I know what you're talking about.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2010

While school officially ended last week, I'm teaching summer school this week. Brian finished yesterday; Peter and the girls finish tomorrow.

In my house, summer will begin after Tuesday's surgery.

Then give me a week or two before I start thinking of next year.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

Yes, yes...some of you all need time! We've been out for a few weeks and I've had plenty of "do nothing" time. I'm by no means ready for summer to end, but I have a good feeling about next year. :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2010

I'm looking forward to teaching lots of geometry, but regret that, in losing my Algebra prep, I wont' be working with my friend anymore.

Ever have one of those work buddies with whom you just click??? Alicia is amazingly easy to work with. We would informally check back and forth and were often on the same page. If one of us ran off a worksheet, we ran enough for the other. She's a remarkably competant, compassionate person, and I'm sorry to lose the Algebra prep just becasue I'll miss working with her.

17. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

I am SO looking forward to next year; I didn't have a good year this year because of what I was teaching, and I'm moving to 1st grade next year in the fall; so I'm ecstatic.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

I understand, Alice. That's really too bad.

And just for the record, geometry is a math I can totally get behind! :)

19. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 23, 2010

:hugs: The PE teacher I worked with for 2 years changed buildings this last year. She was the first person I clicked with when I first got my job. It was sooo hard not having her down the hall. We still talked via phone several times a week, but it wasn't the same. :hugs:

20. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 23, 2010

Normally, yes, but I'm getting married the first part of August...so I feel everything has to be crunched into a super short time frame!

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 23, 2010

It was a stressful year, but I started mentally planning for next year before this one was over. I co-taught 1-2 classes with a great teacher the first two years I taught. Then she was moved to a different team the past two years. Now we will be co-teaching again! I've grown as a teacher and I worry a tiny bit about how we are going to work together now, but I am very excited to be working with her again. We had so much fun and the kids really liked having the two of us as their teachers.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 23, 2010

Yep! Can't wait for next year, but truly enjoying my summer as well. I'm trying to compartmentalize, as I have three parts to my life right now: Sprout, school and home.

Sprout is dominating, as it's been put on the back burner since I started working again. But I went in to today to check in with my directors and started to get ramped up again. I've been pulling various ideas as I sort inventory, and have found some really interesting 'vintage' units I can't wait to use, ex. math using dominoes. It was this whole photocopied unit (so couldn't sell it anyhow) and I happened to also have a bunch of domino games that I had tucked away. Instant math centers!

We're also FINALLY starting to talk about environment, which I love to work on. Upper elementary (first through fifth grade) has been regulated to ONE room in the past few years (very few students, obviously), but we're actually getting the entire top FLOOR of the old Victorian the school is in, so there is tons of work to do. I get to start from scratch when designing layout, displays, organization, etc. I'm going in tomorrow with a car full of 'stuff' I've been hoarding-I found two boxes of Shakespearean children's costumes that I can't wait to hang up on little garment stands I also had for a dramatic play area. And I've been collecting baskets to hold supplies, and glass jars and vases to set around with natural items in them.

So yes. Very excited. ;)

23. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

Not yet. I am only two weeks out of the last school year. I need some time to recouperate. I usually get that feeling at the beginning of August. I am excited for next year but do not want to rush this much needed break.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Can I get through this year first? :lol: One week from today (July 1st) will be my first day of summer vacation.

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

I'm uber-excited! But also a little nervous and overwhelmed. Looping with this group and knowing that they are a good group helps alleviate some of that anxiety of not knowing what your students will be like. I still feel like I have so much work to do planning, etc. Like others, I'm still teaching (summer school), so I haven't felt those summer doldrums kick in yet! :) But still excited!

Alice-I'm not working with my favorite teacher anymore either. We planned a lot together and she was right next door to me for years. That's a hard adjustment to make.

26. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

Wow! I thought we got out late... my last day was Tuesday! I think part of the reason I don't need the summer break so badly this year is thanks to the "blizzards" this year, and the 2 weeks of school that we go off this year. That really helped break up the year!

27. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

Two weeks ago, when I left school, I thought I would never be ready to go back. I was dreading going back in the fall. But after spending the last week really thinking about next year, and planning some new activities/lessons, I am starting to get that feeling again! Being here helped, too, because I got some great ideas and caught the excitment of other posters! Thanks, everyone!

28. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I'm moving to a new classroom, and will be teaching without a co-teacher! :celebrate:

I am already planning out in my mind what I will do for next year.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2010

It hit me last week--about 2 weeks after school got out. I'm excited because it will be my 2nd year in 3rd grade, so I have a better handle on the age group, the curriculum, and the routines of the lower grades at the school. I have a lot of ideas floating around--now I'm trying to harness them and make them practical. But, the nice thing is that I can do that relaxing in a lawn chari out in the sun :)

30. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

I'm excited. I'm now tenured :) 2 of the last 3 years have been tough for a lot of reasons (as many of you know) and this year I will be in a great grade that I know well and won't be pregnant. The only down point is that my really really good friend has been transferred to 4th grade.

31. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

LOL.....You're out of your mind! How do you teach your classes with a straight-jacket on? (Only teasing!)

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Who???

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

I guess me for being stoked about the new year? :p

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Oh, I thought it was me because of our dress code... or was that a different thread?? :)

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

I'm excited- I'm doing an independent study class to plan and organize for next year (and get 6 university credits for it) so lots my ideas are getting implemented.

36. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I found out in April that I was changing from 5th to 2nd and I am thrilled!!!! I have been thinking and planning since then I have been decorating and setting up my classroom this week (with the help of my wonderful niece!) At my last school our P would only let us into the building 2 days before in-service in Aug., so it was very hard to get much done. I love being able to work on my room in spurts and I've been able to go through things that I haven't gone through in 5-6 years. It's like being reunited with old friends.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

I'll be in a new grade (moving up from 2nd to 3rd) so I'll spend some time wrapping my head around the curriculum this summer. Third grade is chockful of new concepts so I'm excited to explore new horizons with my students. Also my classroom to which I'm moving is relatively new so I don't have to jazz it up to much in terms of the environment of the classroom, just move my stuff in and put 'my stamp' on it...it's already beautiful, has a view of the woods and fields behind the school ( we often see foxes, deer, wild turkeys out there). Excited to stretch out in my 'new space', dive into new curricula...

38. monsieurteacher

Jun 24, 2010

I just packed a bunch of stuff into my car to take to my new classroom... interestingly enough, it's the very same classroom I did my student teaching in!

Tomorrow is our last day of school (half day) and then we have the afternoon to clean up our rooms and at that point, I plan on moving in (and helping the other teacher move her stuff out if need be).

Excited? Me? Maybe a little.