Looking for Word Wall Activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by mrsleapfrog, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Aug 4, 2010

I am planning on putting a word wall up this year in my classroom. What are some activities I can do with a word wall other than just discussing the word and its meaning and posting it up on the wall?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

I posted this on the elementary forum a few days ago - maybe this will get your brain wheels spinning....

I went to a training and thought I'd share what seems so obvious and I am probably telling you stuff you already know. However, I find when I type things on here, I embed it into my brain even more so. :)

These are some activities I plan on doing using the word wall. Some of these will be done in a word wall work station, others will be done whole class. Some may even be done in small groups.

"Wordo"
    [​IMG]
    Think of Tic-tac-toe. The object is to get 3 in a row. Sort of. You choose words from the word wall that you notice the class is struggling with or needs more practice with. Give each kid a recording sheet. (Just had an idea to put these on card stock and laminate and use dry erase markers.) You call out a word and they put it in any box. Call the next word and they fill in another box, and so on and so on until you've called 9 words. Then, when everyone is ready, call out a word. Each child finds the word on their card and circles it. (You can have them to a regular circle around the word or do the circle that you see on those word wall cards that goes high for the tall letters and low for the low letters. I forgot what it was called.)Call the next word and they find and circle. Once they have 3 circled words in a row, they say "wordo" and you keep going and going. They will keep getting "wordos" so be sure to review the right way to say it (don't yell, just in a normal voice). Eventually there will be one word left. Have them say the last word. Then they all say "blackout" and the game is over.

Fluency Writing
    [​IMG]
    Everyone gets a blank piece of paper and a marker/crayon. You say a word from the word wall. The kids then write the word as fast as they can all over the page. Each time they write it, they say the word. They write the word for a set amount of time. When time is up, they rotate markers and use a different color for the next word. You say a different word and they write and say the word over and over until time is up. They rotate colors and repeat.
    *To use this in a station, have a timer of some sort so they can time themselves.

Rainbow Words
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41188420@N08/4845226854/
    They simply write the word and say it. They rewrite over it with a different color and say the word as they write. They keep going over with different colors.

Use What You Know
    [​IMG]
    Choose two words from the word wall to start the page. Call out another word that connects to the original word somehow. They put it in the correct column and underline or circle the part that they used from the original word to help them write the new word. The words you call out will not be on the word wall. They will just be words that they use the word wall word to figure out.

Mind Reader
    They write 1-4 on their paper. Give them a clue and they write which word they think you are thinking about. Give another clue and they cross out the first word if they changed their mind and write the new word they are thinking of next to number 2. Continue until they figure out the word.

Word Shapes
    [​IMG]
    They write the word and draw those shapes around it. Picture explains it all.

What's My Rule
    Call out word wall words that all share a common rule. They write down the words as you call them out. Give them time to think about the rule. Once they figure out the rule, have them figure out what other words from the word wall can still be added to the list.

Word Sorts
    Have a 3 column sheet with 3 word wall words at the top. Have about 12 words that are not on the word wall but that are connected to the word wall words in some kind of way. Have them sort the words into the appropriate column.
    For example if the word wall words were went, like and am. The sorting words might include bent, bike, rent, jam, Sam, hike, etc. They would put bent in the "went" column and Sam in the "am" column an so on.

My Pile/Your Pile
    Partners have a set of word wall cards face down. Flip over the top card and whoever says it first gets the card.

Locating Word Wall Words in a Text
    highlight words in a newspaper/magazine or point to word wall words in a book.

Go Fish
    Partners have 2 sets of word wall cards. Pass out equal amount to each player and the rest go in a pile. They ask each other for words they have and try to make pairs.

Concentration
    Mix up and place 2 sets of word wall cards face down. Flip over 2 cards and say the words. If a match, keep. If not, flip back over.

Sorry if the pics didn't show up!

4. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 9, 2010

You can have them write a story that includes the words (if there are many, you can tell them to choose ten). If they are special vocabulary words from, say, a science unit, you can have them make a comic strip that uses the words with pictures.

Another good one is to use the words in context many times for a few days. Have students write down sentences in which they hear the word used. You can assign this on Monday and give them until Friday to have, say, ten different examples (and then you can increase it as the year progresses). They can write down sentences you've purposely used, things they've heard others say, things they've read, etc. This will give them a chance to hear the words used frequently and likely start using them in conversation.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing the ideas!

I had the kids write a story...but could ONLY use the word wall words. Talk about completely letting loose and listening to the stories! It totally had to make them think about what the word meant, where it would go in the parts of speech, and have some kind of punctuation. The sentences were hallarious! Of course there were a few who "just had to" put in their own words to make it makes sense to them. But did I care? No. As long as the got the idea of what the word meant, and spelled it correctly, they totally got points for it. I could tell the goof offs and who didn't get it really quick. But it was fun and a quick writing center at the end of the school year (of which we were finished with our units and "reviewing" lots of great things about the year!).

6. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Thanks for the great ideas! I love "wordo" and having them write the words as fast as they can. My kids will love those activities!

7. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

message me your email and I'll send you a SMART board lesson I have for word wall activities.

8. AH1

AH1 New Member

Sep 3, 2010

I make Flash cards with the words written on them on white paper, and I give them crayons I call out a word and say"color (word here) blue"...and so on until all their flash cards are colored.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2010

"I'm thinking of a 4 letter word on the word wall"
    Kids write it down
    "My word has the long a sound"
    Kids keep or change their word
    "My word has a 't' in it"
    Kids keep or change their word
    "My word rhymes with 'make'
    WINNER!

11. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 13, 2011

Thanks everyone for the awesome ideas!! I have a word wall, but I'll be honest, it's just kind of...there....:blush:

12. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Mar 11, 2011

Word wall basketball is great. Create two teams. A team gets a point for spelling the word correctly. They then get a chance to score a basket for another point. I use a nerd ball and hoop.

13. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the great ideas. I plan on using some of these in reading rotations for my TA to do while I am working with guided reading groups. Something that I do with my Sp ed class (who are all reading on a first to second grade level) is every morning during calendar I pick a student and point to a word. They have to say it and use it in a sentence correctly. Then they get to take the pointer and pick someone else until everyone has gotten a chance. Sometimes I will pick two or three words and have them try to use them in a sentence. They seem to enjoy that and it is a good transition activity from calendar to reading.

14. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

May 20, 2011

The book Taking the Words Off the Wall is good. Also, it is important that the kids get excited about the word wall. Let them add words they think are important.