Looking for ways to teach high frequency words

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Nijntje, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Nijntje

Nijntje Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Last year I made individual reading rings for each student. I wrote 5-6 high frequency on cards that I added to a 1 inch ring. Weekly I would read with the students, assess their reading and add word cards to their rings. It took a lot of my time. Too much.

I'm looking for a less time consuming way to teach high frequency words.

What do you do?
    I would love to hear your ideas.
    Thanks

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

I struggle with this too....one year I made word cards and we'd go over them in small group time. I would send them home with them on Friday.

The next year, I still made the cards, but I didn't send them home until they could read it 3 times with no mistakes.

Last year, I didn't even go over them in class, but I sent them home with the children on Monday and told them that part of their homework was to review the words with an elder. I informed the parents of this in the beginning of the year. I have to say it was much easier on me and i really didn't see much of a difference in reading scores.....

4. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Reading Rainbow

We broke up our hf words into 8 lists (white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, gold). Each week the kids are tested on a list. If they can read each word within 3 seconds, they can move onto the next color in the rainbow. White is a cloud and gold is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The lists are sent home with the kids to practice and the words are also on cards on rings for practice in class. My classroom theme is bees so I use hives, another teacher does frogs so she has lily pads, another teacher does race cars. The kids love moving along the rainbow.

HTH

5. Nijntje

Nijntje Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I love the rainbow idea! Thank you so much. Hmmm, this gives me a great idea for the classroom! Love it!

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 23, 2010

I again have to recommend Month-by-Month Phonics for First Grade: Systematic, Multilevel Instruction for First Grade by Patricia M. Cunningham . Much less time consuming. I choose 5 sight words each week, we go through the activities, then they are responsible for copying down the words and taking them home to work with each night. We go over the words each day for about 5 minutes.

Parents are asked to make flashcards at home each week, and I tell them that by the end of the year the kids will have over 100 sight words they should know and using flashcards for 5 minutes at home each day is much easier than cramming for a quiz 3-4 times a year!

The sight words are posted on the board for the week, and I have a set at circle that we go over. Every Monday, the words go off the board and onto the word wall. This has been very effective for my students, with about a 95% success rate. If they know their words by Friday (given an oral quiz in pairs), they get a sticker for their chart. Sometimes they need a little help and I give it. Sometimes I say "Oh you ALMOST got it! Study over the weekend and we'll give you another try on Monday."

Sorry to go on and on, but I just love this book!

8. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I have not read the book, but I do something similar to this. The main difference is every student has their own words for the week. At the beginning of the year I check their words on the Dolch list. Any words they miss, I start assigning for homework.

I also give them 5 a week for homework and test them on Friday. If they know them, they get a treat.:thumb:

For words the whole class needs to know, I play games like wordo (bingo with the sight words), around the world (using flashcards the students challenge each other and the winner moves on, going around the world), and a "memory" type game, and fly swatter. These are all done during small group time.

9. prek176

prek176 Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I also put sight words onto rings but I was only able to "test" the kids once a month. The words they had learned were taken off the ring and "retired" and new words were added. The rings were individual for each child. (There probably were 10 words on the rings.) The children could take out the rings to practice the words during free time. Lists were sent home so parents could help them practice. We also played games such as bingo, memory etc to help reinforce the words.

10. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 28, 2010

i put the dolch words into a book along with other skilled words (oi, ay, ing, etc...). the book is called 'words to know' and there are 5 books. students will read with me each day (as per administration). i will check off the words they know on each page. when the book is passed they will move on to the next book, so this is self paced. all 1st grade words are in book 2, so i am hoping everyone gets to at least book 3.

hope this makes sense.

11. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Aug 30, 2010

I try to make the words a part of everything for that week.

I may pin them on students and have students "find" them.

We form the words with letter vests.

We have a Promethean board, so I make a flipchart page with the words repeating in random order and we do "say it, spell it, say it."

The words are included in their centers.

They read the word from a card before they go out of the classroom, go into the lunchroom, etc.

Just bombard them with it! lol