Looking for summer vacation ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

My husband, son and I would like to take a 2 week vacation somewhere in the United States this summer. We have absolutely no idea where to go, except that we would like to go somewhere a little bit remote. Theme parks are out (we live 5 miles from Disney World, so we vacation there all year). Any ideas?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2012

What about going to Mt. Rushmore and then driving to a national park? We've always wanted to go to Mt. Rushmore.

4. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 20, 2012

I've always wanted to go to Mt. Rushmore as well. Across Wyoming is Yellowstone National Park, which by all accounts is incredible. My BF went with family in the fall and LOVED it, we're planning to go together ASAP. He brought me back a stuffed bison, which is the first thing that caught my eye when I was trying to think of a username. :lol:

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2012

Oooooooh!

Last year we rented a cabin in Idaho near Coeur d'Alene. Lovely area, though not as remote as we had hoped for. This year we're looking for a cabin in the Appalachians (maybe in NC/Virginia), hopefully a bit more remote.

We'd also talked about the Outer Banks in NC and visiting some of the smaller towns there.

I'm also a big fan of NE PA, being that I spent every summer there as a kid. My dad lives on a lake with a 20 minute drive to the closest small town, yet still close enough to make day trips into the city.

When I was a kid, we did a 3-week cross-country drive and visited all kinds of places - Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Badlands. Yellowstone was exceptionally awesome.

And lately, my brother was raving about some National Park in Maine where he went camping - he's kind of in love with it now, except I can't remember the name.

Have you made it to the Keys yet? Lots of the islands aren't very "commercial," a la Key West.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Would you consider an Alaska cruise?

Coastal Maine is gorgeous.... and you can get lobster at McDonalds!!!

How about California and Big Sur?

7. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 20, 2012

Alaska cruise sounds wonderful!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

Grand Canyon was my 1st thought. Next thought what about a cabin in the Rockies? Or a dude ranch?

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

Lots of good ideas! Time to do my research. Thanks so much!!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

If you go to Mt. Rushmore, you can drive up into North Dakota and see the Medora Musical, which is lots of fun.

Lake Tahoe

Anywhere in Alaska

Spend some time in coastal North Carolina to look at the dunes and lighthouses. Rent a beach cabin and a car. Good times.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 20, 2012

I love the Mt. Rushmore area. So wonderfully touristy! And not far from Devil's Tower in Wyoming, which is awesome. I would really like to drive up to Yellowstone sometime, but my kids need to get older to enjoy the drive.

I love Carlsbad Caverns (NM), and the Grand Canyon of course. Lake Powell is very nice too-we camped there once for 8 days and we wouldn't have had to see another soul if we hadn't gone to the marina every couple days for various supplies.

12. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Feb 20, 2012

I love Grand Canyon. You can also go through Utah and Bryce National Park and the North side of the canyon for a completely different view. Also AZ is wonderful!!!
    I also love WA and Oregon. Mt. St. Helen and Bend Oregon are wonderful!!!

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Feb 20, 2012

Of course I can't forget the Alaska Cruise vote as that is what I am doing this summer :)

14. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 21, 2012

I would suggest somewhere in Colorado or Washington/Oregon coast. Both regions are beautiful but in different ways and you can get remote very quickly.

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 21, 2012

I agree with the Grand Canyon/Utah Zion National Park. It is gorgeous and totally worth the visit. We stayed in a very relaxing spa like hotel in Zion.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2012

So many wonderful places...so little time :hugs: