Looking for some project ideas for animals...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by christine89, Jan 28, 2012.

1. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jan 28, 2012

Hi
    This year our school is starting an education fair for which all students are making projects. Students choose their own topics, do research, and spend time in school making the projects.
    I'm having trouble working out in my mind how we will do this in my K class. We normally do a lot of things together and they are usually all similar. We have chosen animals and I allowed each student to choose one animal to do a project on. So obviously all projects are going to be individual.
    Basically what I'm looking for is something they can progressively work on each week (we will do about 30 minutes a week over the next month). However, I don't want the project to be so complicated (keep it Dev. Appropriate).
    What would be awesome is an idea that they all can do, but they can still make it different depending on their animal.
    Suggestions?

3. mrsfeldy

mrsfeldy Rookie

Jan 28, 2012

Hi!
    I would start by introducing nonfiction/information books and writing to your class.

Then, I would do some shared reading/writing involving summarizing facts from nonfiction books.

For the individual learning part, it would be fun to have an older class come to your room and partner up with your students to read a book to them about their animal.

Then, during writer's workshop or centers, have students write 3 or more facts about their animal (may need to model again, especially writing a complete thought).

To sum it all up, I would have the kiddos make a clay sculpture of their animal. You could use Crayola Model Magic if you're school doesn't have a kiln.

Hope this helps!
    Kelly

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2012

great ideas, Mrsfeldy!
    I'd also have them do a presentation (Show & Tell).

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 29, 2012

Compare types of animal homes--nest, hole in ground
    Pattern of skin
    camoflague
    types of food
    names of baby animal

6. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jan 29, 2012

Thanks for the ideas, particularly getting them starting looking at nonfiction books for the research part. I also like the idea of doing a sculpture of the animal. In addition, perhaps painting the inside of a shoebox to represent the habitat and food it eats? That's my idea so far. Thanks so much! I probably won't be able to have older ones come in since the whole school is pretty much doing this the same time but I do have an aide who will come in and help out among my 10 students so we'll just have to see how well we can spread ourselves!

7. mrsfeldy

mrsfeldy Rookie

Jan 29, 2012

10 students??? Wow!!!!!! Nice!

8. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Feb 2, 2012

Just wanted to share an idea that went well for me this year. We spent a week reading books and writing about polar animals - polar bear, penguins, snowy owl, arctic fox, etc. I sent home a letter to parents about researching their favorite animal; getting books from library; printing info from internet. We looked at their printed info, and highlighted facts. The students choose their favorite animal, and then wrote about it. Then, we had them publish it by helping them learn how to type it into a powerpoint presentation. They got to pick their favorite picture, and color background. We plan to invite parents to attend their presentation where they present their favorite animal slide. Very pleased!