Looking for some cool room organization ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sciencegurl, Aug 16, 2009.

1. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I'm moving into my new classroom tomorrow...it's my dream room (classroom in the front, lab in the back). I've purchased 5 file crates and my idea is to have each kid label their own file as part of the first day (I will have them put their information inside the file folder). I can use the files for pass back papers (not sure how this will go over yet, as I've always found passing back papers to be time consuming in the past). Just looking for some cool room organization ideas (how do you take care of extra work copies, posting homework, etc. etc.), in other words...explain how your room is organized. Hope that makes sense. I've been looking for pics of HS rooms online, but having difficulty with finding any.:cool:

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I'll take some pics of mine on Monday, but I teach high school US History. Lets take a tour of my room (lol practicing for the first day).

To set up my room, I have a very long row of cabinets and drawers (10) and a countertop. This is where I set up all the student stuff.

1. Absent work - I have a sign and a box for any worksheets that students miss when they are absent. And since I usually type up instructions for other assignmnets/notes for my special ed kids, I have those too. At the end of the day, I look at my list of students who were absent during the day and write their names on the papers they missing, along with stamping the paper with a "make-up work" stamp. They are then resposible for getting their assignment from the box when they come back, and looking at the weekly agenda for other assignments (more on that later)

2. I have a spot on the counter with fabric bins (one for each class) for students to leave their notebooks in the room if they so chose.

3. I have a spot for turning in work (its a large cube with slots for each class, papers go in, but can't come out until I open the back up). Also a slot for absent or late work.

4. I have all the student materials in one section (crayons, markers, colored pencils, rulers, scissors, stapler, hole puch, tissues).

5. I have a bookshelf which contains my class set of textbooks and reading material for DEAR time (every friday).

6. I have a locking closet, so I post Grades on the door. I try to do an updated posting every monday - I may switch to friday this year (our eligibility is due on wednesday).

7. Above the bookshelf is my make-up work wall. I have two whiteboards that have the days of the week printed on them. I fill out the assignemts (we call our "agenda" one during the week, when the week is up, I leave the first board up and start filling out the second (so I always have the previous weeks assignments in case someone is gone on friday and comes back the next week).

8. Next to the whiteboards I have a twelve slot pocket chart (its long - vertically - and red), slots are large enough for a file folder to fit in. I have a folder for each day (dated and assignment number).

I put extra of each assignment in it and if a student realizes he is missing an assignment (forgot to turn in in, whatever), they can get the assignment out of the pocket chart withough bothering me. (BTW our school requires us to allow students to make-up work through the end of the semester - I give 70% credit for late work.

I take the completed make-up work out of the "blue cube" each day - date it with a "received date" stamp and "late work stamp" for late papers (absent work is already stamped). I do this so that if a student has chronically late work, I can note in in the online gradebook and parents can see it. (CYA in case the kid flunks).

All I can think of for now, I know this is a lot, but I get flustered and disorganized if I don't have a "procedure" for anything. I haven't come up with a plan for passback papers, that's always been the bain of my existance as a teacher. Takes so much time. At one point I gave the kids numbers and sorted them into folders for every 5 kids, they then had to get their paper out of the folder.

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Where did you get this? I'm looking for something like this since apparently getting someone else's turned in hw out of the basket to copy is apparently a great idea that I never thought of.

5. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 16, 2009

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Good to hear that it's just not a new teacher thing to work through. This year I've come up with a system that hopefully will work. I purchased a hanging file rack that rolls. It comes with two shelf on the bottom that can be use as an in & out box. Since I will be seating the students in table groups, I plan to use color file folders to represent the subjects & use a hanging folder to house all the folders per table group. As an example: Yellow - reading, green - science, blue - language arts in each hanging folder; 4 table groups = 4 hanging folders.
    Each table group will have a Table captain that will be responsible for collecting papers & inserting them in the corresponding color & assigned hanging file. Once I checked them, I will place them in the out tray of the hanging file rack. Either the am or pm teacher assistant will be responsible for passing them back. I'm also thinking of having a roster per table configuration.
    The goal, of course, is to manage more effectively by reducing time & be able to tell quickly who has not turn in work. Hopefully this will work. Last year I assigned table helpers & it helped me tremendously in managing the passing of papers.

BTW, loved ur management ideas.

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Carrie B---thanks. EXACTLY what I wanted. I love the idea of a "Make up" stamp and a "Completion" stamp---gotta find those. Also that Late work is worth 70% (I usually do 50%), but find that can be crushing for a kid. I sympathize that your district allows make-up work until the end of the semester, such a pain for you. In the past I've allowed it through the end of the quarter. Last year, I switched to 1 day late only---it really made very little difference (either they did it or didn't). I also like the bins for notebooks---I'll think about that. I have lots of drawer space (unused so far ;) that might work.

Yes, passing back papers is a PITA. I'm going to try the individual files (then I can put private notes in them too (see me etc.) However, I can see it being a sorting nightmare. I might try collecting papers alphabetically, that would save time sorting later, and ultimately might not take more time than having everyone get out of their seats to turn stuff in.

8. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 16, 2009

We don't have quarter grades (just "progress reports"). Last year I tried to put a limit for late work at the end of the quarter, but a parent got mad - the whole if the semester grade is for the whole semester they should be able to make-up anything from any time...uggg...

I do find that 70% for late work is enough to convince them to do the work (after pulling them aside and showing them the math of 70% vs 0%), but 50% wasn't enough cause they still see it as a failing grade.

I got my stamp from Amazon. Here's the website:

http://www.amazon.com/Educational-I...TKEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250452501&sr=8-2

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

What's funny Carrie is that my son's school district follows the policy that the children can make up their work at any time prior to when the grades are actually due. As a parent of a child who has trouble with organization and time management I did not appreciate this policy at all. I wanted my kid to have the penalties. I'm okay with a little bit leniency and even prefer that because we all make mistakes but that much leniency was just hurting him. The first time it came up my child had 14 assignments due in 2 days because he hadn't done them the entire grade period. I was not a happy camper. I chose not to let him fail but I let him know I would not put up with that bull and I gave him 14 additional assignments of my own as a penalty.