Looking for random number app and a timer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pengyou1, Oct 27, 2017.

1. pengyou1

pengyou1 New Member

Oct 27, 2017

I want to find an app that will generate a random number with parameters that I give it, i.e. from 1 to 43, which will choose the next student to answer the question. I also need a timer with some kind of graphics, preferably one that has some kind of visual count down feature to let students know how much time they have left. Ideal if both of these can fit onto a PowerPoint slide, or Impress slide. Any ideas? searching get me absolutely no where.

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Oct 27, 2017

If you have an ActivBoard, there's a timer within the clock on ActivInspire. I'm not familiar with other options and would be interested as well.

mathmagic likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 27, 2017

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2017

For Android I use Random Number Generator. It does not have a timer but it does randomization exactly as you describe.

For timers I recommend checking Youtube. They have great animated timers for just about every duration.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know what kind of phone you have, but I just say "Ok Google, give me a random number between 1 and 25", and it spits one out for me. The kids get a kick out of it too.

CherryOak likes this.
  7. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 27, 2017

Google has a timer option as well. Honestly there's very little that Google CAN'T do these days.

Leaborb192 and CherryOak like this.
  8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2017

I use an app called Randomly. I did have to type my students’ names into it when I set it up, but now I can have it pick a student at random or one who has not already been called on.

9. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 27, 2017

You can find a lot of timers on YouTube. Just search "15 minute timer" or whatever time you're looking for. I can usually find one that has some kind of visual component. I don't know about Power Point, but I can embed them in Google Slides with no issues. Here's what I got, just with a quick search: http://bit.ly/2hiO3Fk

If you're looking for the random number app to call on students, my kids (3rd and 4th grade) love this spinning wheel. There's an embed option although I've never tried it: https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 29, 2017

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Oct 29, 2017

I never liked fumbling with sticks or other objects with names or numbers on them. Fortunately, I found a fantastic 99-cents app for iPads called Decide Now! that allows me to enter students' names onto a spinner. They love taking turns spinning the spinner with a flick of the finger or by simply pressing the center button. You can project this onto a screen by using an iPad adapter. As a bonus, I also have used the app to review vocabulary words, practice using adjectives, verb tense, etc. You can also enter numbers, colors, whatever; possibilities are endless and I've yet to discover the maximum number of entries that the app will accept! Be sure to turn up the audio for the cool spinning sound effect.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017