Looking for prizes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Nov 15, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 15, 2011

What kind of prizes do you think would be good for 4th/5th grade boys? I have a little prize box that I let kids choose from on Fridays if they improve all of their progress monitoring scores. Believe it or not, last year I had all girls on my caseload with an exception of two boys who were much younger. We've gotten a ton of transfers this year and I've ended up with a lot of 4th/5th grade boys and I'm really not sure what they like. The girls are so easy to get stuff for- walmart always has little chapsticks, necklaces, fuzzy pens, etc- I have an endless amount of things for them. However, I'm finding it hard to come up with gender neutral or "boy" things that are good for older kids. I have some bubbles and plastic cars, but those seem a bit too young for 4th-5th grade (I also have younger kids). I usually get stuff like party favors that are just a dollar or 2 for package of 5-6 things. This is coming out of pocket so it can't be too expensive! I know they'd like candy, but I really make an effort to give out non-food rewards, and I don't want to keep candy around because I'd sit there and eat it all day! I also have some pencils and erasers in there that are pretty neutral, but they don't tend to get too excited about those. I usually end up giving those out at random to winners if we play some sort of game in class.

3. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

I've had great success with third, fourth, and fifth graders with a variety of "passes.'' I print tickets on the computer for a variety of passes: Invite a friend to eat lunch with a teacher, free homework pass, etc. Right now, my "rolling chair pass" is very popular. Students who earn this pass get to use my chair for the day. They love it!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 15, 2011

I suggest going to a Dollar Store and buying some of the stupid stuff that only boys would like: big bugs, balls--you will see them in the hanging section.

5. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 15, 2011

Agreed with the idea of passes.

Last year I gave out hot rod toy cars, but you say you feel your kids have outgrown them.... hmm...

How about cans of silly string? Or packages of water balloons? They'd have to wait until after school of course ;) but those are always a hit, especially with boys.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 15, 2011

Boys were definitely harder to find prizes for. I always had a non-food prize box and was constantly looking. Plus, they have to be affordable.

Some things I had - lanyards, those clip on metal things (can go on backpacks), pencil toppers, stuff from the 1 cent back to school sales, I can't remember any more right now. I also got those collectible plastic charms that the kids put on metal chains. I got them from www.fitnessfinders.org .

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Nov 15, 2011

My boys really love the little sticky hands. I can usually find a pretty good size pack in the party section for under $2. I also found some little animals and puzzles at the dollar store which they have really enjoyed :) The boys are always so hard though!

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 15, 2011

Thank you for the ideas!

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 16, 2011

The passes is a great idea. I am definitely incoporating this into the prize bin. Thanks for the idea!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 16, 2011

Goo
    Bouncing Balls
    Spider Rings
    Cool Pencils
    Pin Ball Mazes
    Mad Libs
    Double Die (has a tiny die inside of a die...order online)
    Cards (sometimes you can find small party decks)
    Play Doh (for all ages and gender)

You know those paper pads with 3 games (hangman, tic tac toe, and some other game where you draw a single line and try to make a box before your neighbor)? Teach them how to play the past game and then make your own pads with 3 games.