Looking for other new teachers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by KinderHereICome, May 31, 2015.

1. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

May 31, 2015

Hi! I am a recent graduate, and just accepted a kindergarten teaching position for this fall. I'm wondering if any other new teachers want to maybe start a communication? Although we may not be in the same school or even state, I thought it might be nice to share experiences and support!

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 31, 2015

I am new! I will be teaching 1st and 2nd combo class this fall.

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jun 3, 2015

I'm new, too! I've been Student Teaching in Second and have accepted a 4th grade position at a different school. Excited and Terrified at the same time. I'd love to have other "Surviving the First Year" teachers to talk to.

5. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jun 5, 2015

I wil be starting my first year in the fall! :) I graduated in December and have been subbing until I got my job! Thankfully I long term subbed at the same school I got hired at! I'm so excited!!! Already got to visit my new room :)

6. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 5, 2015

Grade

What grade will you be teaching??

7. lollol9900

lollol9900 Rookie

Jun 5, 2015

Lucky everyone!
    Please tell me how you got the job.
    I am a recent graduate also but no one ever emails me to offer an interview :(
    I want to get a job in NJ. Public/private/charter anything.
    Early childhood education - pk-3rd grade.

Please share what your major, your past experiences, how you got the job, etc.... Everything about getting a job! Thank you!!

8. WISpanishELL

WISpanishELL Rookie

Jun 6, 2015

I'm new too, but I'll be teaching in a high school after long-term subbing at two elementary schools! I'm scared for the change, but excited too.

9. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jun 6, 2015

I don't consider myself lucky, but rather very fortunate to have gotten a position where I did. Luck is only a small part, you have to work hard and get experience and you have to fit with the staff at where you are interviewing. Of the 3 schools I interviewed at only 1 felt comfortable-- like I was meant to be at that job and I know those interviewing me felt that way, too.

However, I've worked really hard to get where I am. I took many specialized classes in high school and my first couple years in college that were based on careers in education; I have hundreds of hours as a student aid and a couple hundred as a student teacher. I also took a year off to teach at a 6th grade science camp. I majored in Psychology and went into Probation, but ultimately decided to return to earn my credential.

You say no one ever emails to offer an interview, I assume you're applying everywhere possible and following up with those applications?

Also, from what I understand the NJ teaching market is difficult to break into.

Catfacemeowmers--- I'm envious! I cannot WAIT to see my classroom and be able to start setting it up! (Partially because I'm excited and partially because I have a TON of stuff to clear out of my spare bedroom that I've purchased for my classroom.) I think at that point it will REALLY hit me.

10. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 6, 2015

Keep Trying

I pushed myself during student teaching to go to a district that had very high expectations which I think helped find a job. You have to find ways to make yourself stand out, and it helps if you can find ways that would make you a good fit for a certain school. For example, if you have used the curriculum before, or maybe express interest in a program that they have at their school.

A tip that was given to me when I started interviews was to bring a portfolio. A lot of people say that, but then I hear the argument that a principal, or whoever is interviewing, doesn't want to or have the time to look through your portfolio. What I did was bring a nice, professional looking portfolio and whenever a question was asked I tried to have a specific artifact I could pull out. For example, if someone asked how will you communicate with parents? I pulled out an example newsletter, an example communication log, etc.

Just take the initiative and pull out artifacts I think it really helps back up what you're saying, and it could help the interviewers take you a little more seriously.

On another note, if the NJ teaching market is super hard to get into, then don't stress about not getting a job. A lot of people say the best way to get a job these days is through subbing. If you do have to end up subbing, invite the principals to come observe you. Even if they don't have a job open, they could end up being a good reference.

Good luck!

11. CatfaceMeowmers

Jun 6, 2015

I will be teaching 6th grade math! :D

12. CatfaceMeowmers

Jun 6, 2015

I had to move out of state. Nevada is in dire need of teachers! You are pretty much guaranteed a job if you move here :)

13. XULA'01

XULA'01 New Member

Jun 11, 2015

I'm also a new teacher(alt cert) and I will be teaching middle school social studies (still not sure what grade). I subbed the whole year (literally K-12) and its impossible to overstate how important that experience was.

14. lkinsman

lkinsman New Member

Jun 14, 2015

Hi!

Hi!

My name is Laura and I am going to be taking a job as a Physical Education teacher in the fall at a middle school. I would love to stay in touch! I also did my student-teaching in an elementary school and worked closely with classroom teachers to implement students' work in my class.

15. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

Congrats on the job! What kind of school is it, public/private/etc?

16. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

I'm just finishing my first year but I'm fairly new! I taught Kindergarten this year!!! I loved it! But now I'm getting switched to third grade co-teaching. Oh well :p But yea, first year was so hard. But I felt like I succeeded and once you finish your first year, you can't wait for the second!

And believe me, I had to wait a year after I finished grad school to finally get a job offer.

17. Laurelai777

Laurelai777 New Member

Jun 26, 2015

Excited!!

Hi there!
    I'm a new teacher too! Fourth grade :). I spent my second internship at this school in fourth grade and I'll be in the same room! I'm nervous and a bit overwhelmed but so excited!!

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 27, 2015

I'm sort of new! I've been working in daycares/private preschools the last five years. I recently moved and have been interviewing at public schools so it'll be a new experience.

19. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 28, 2015

Welcome and congrats everyone! :) What is everyone doing this summer to prepare?

20. chickadee77

chickadee77 Rookie

Jun 30, 2015

I am a new teacher in first grade! I'm beyond excited, but nervous too of course. I am also curious what other newbie teachers are doing to prepare over the summer. I've been kind of twiddling my thumbs myself but starting tomorrow I'm going to really sit down and write out what I want to accomplish before school starts. Some ideas:

-Behavior management plan
    -Letter of introduction to parents
    -Plan room layout
    -Make art work/posters/labels
    -Literacy center organization + gathering of materials
    -Math center organization + gathering of materials
    -Make sub binder

Any other ideas??

21. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 30, 2015

Congrats! Where are you from? I'm going to teach kindergarten (probably) in illinois! I might get bumped to second grade, depending on kindergarten enrollment.

So far, it's been hard for me to prep! Not knowing for sure if i'm kindergarten I haven't wanted to prep any kindergarten materials. I've basically been working on classroom decor and organization pieces for now. I feel like once I can get into my classroom and know for sure what grade I am I can really get working.

22. chickadee77

chickadee77 Rookie

Jul 1, 2015

I'm teaching in Minnesota! Decor and organization are important parts to work on too. Good luck and have fun! :)

23. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 5, 2015

First year

Hi everyone. I am also a new grad (December) and a first year teacher. I'll be teaching kinder at a charter school. I just got to see/play in my new classroom a few days ago and I am exploding with excitement. My room is big :). However my school is brand new so I can't see how it has been set up before or get ideas from former teachers since everyone is new to the school and classrooms. :confused: so excited though! I also think it would be great to get some support from fellow new teachers. I keep thinking about btsa and clearing my credential and how much work it is gonna be on top of first year teaching.

24. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 5, 2015

So far to prep I have been looking through the curriculum that the school uses to figure out how to implement it while integrating it to my personal teaching philosophy. I also have been emailing with the principal to find out about pacing guides and how much latitude we get with lesson planning since I don't prefer strict adherence to scripted lessons. Yeah we get a ton of leeway. . Also I set up my class schedule, my procedures and behavior Managment plan. I made my back to school night hand outs and power point and I have been combing teachers pay teachers for classroom decor with my theme (Pete the cat).i made my class job and library bin labels and I organized my books by subject and put color coded stickers on the books to keep them organized. I have been surfing teacher tube and YouTube for songs/videos/action books to use for music and movement and morning meeting and my math large group time. I also have the first couple of weeks tentatively planned out.

Next up- sub binder, parent volunteer signup sheets, parent communication folder set up,

25. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

I just got hired for pre-k. I think we could do penpals or something? Or is that dumb? It could help out with literacy!

I'm in Kyle, Texas (small suburb outside of Austin)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  26. teacher424

teacher424 New Member

Jul 11, 2015

Hi , I'm new too and from Illinois.:) I'm teaching a k-2 self contained sed ( social/ emotional disorders) room. My students are all on grade level but need extra behavioral and social skills support.

27. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 11, 2015

I'm in 4th too! First year this fall : )

28. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

Fellow Illinoisan

Welcome fellow Illinoisan!! What area of Illinois are you from?

29. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

I love the pen pals idea! If only I knew for sure my grade level :unsure:

30. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

I'm new! I'm a male teacher that got a 2nd grade position. 2nd grade is my dream so I'm excited, but also have the first year jitters (especially since I'm unable to get into my classroom yet) However, I am so happy!

31. teacher424

teacher424 New Member

Jul 11, 2015

KinderhereIcome I'm from the central- eastern part of the state, what part are you from?

32. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

I'm new too! I'll be teaching 8th-grade English/language arts in the state of Tennessee. :) Previously, I student taught grades 9, 10, and 11, but I'm really excited about teaching middle school! I saw my classroom when I visited the school back in May, but I haven't seen it since. I start in-processing/orientation on the 14th, so I'm hoping I'll get the keys then and start getting organized!

33. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

same kind of! hah, about an hour south of chicago!!

34. elala8310

elala8310 Rookie

Jul 16, 2015

Got so excited when I read this, I just accepted an 8th grade ELA position this week! I student taught grades 9 & 10 as well, but my job hunt this summer really moved me towards middle school. Congrats to you!

35. princesad

princesad New Member

Jul 19, 2015

I am a new too! I will be a Special Ed Elementary Resource teacher! I'm so excited, yet nervous!

36. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

I am also from the East Central part of Illinois. Teaching 6th-8th grade science for my first year.

Did you graduate from Eastern?

37. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

Sorry, I just saw this! Thank you! I saw your introduction thread and was excited to see another 8th grade ELA teacher (who's new too)! Congrats on your new job!

My job hunt was primarily for high school. I had thought about teaching middle school, but I enjoyed the high school level during my student teaching more than I thought I would, so I thought that was the direction to go. When I landed the interview for my job, my mentor teacher actually encouraged me to take it if I got the offer. She and a couple of my professors thought I would do really well as a middle school teacher. Now I'm beyond thrilled to have this job!

38. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

Starting 3rd grade this year!

39. arstorey1

arstorey1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

First year high school ELA teacher this year. Graduated in May. No idea what grade yet!

40. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 28, 2015

Guys guys, I'm in Illinois as well!
    I was in the Chicago suburbs but have moved more south!

41. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 31, 2015

I'm not a new teacher, but I'm doing something totally different so I feel "new". I'm coming from a charter school where EVERYTHING was decided for us - lesson plans were given to us, there were school wide rules we had to follow, and we were told exactly how to set up our rooms. Basically I didn't have to (and wasn't allow to) make any of my own choices. Now, I'm going to a public school where I will be writing my own plans, coming up with my own procedures, etc. I'm nervous but excited about the change!