Looking for montessori school in cleveland- 18 months

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by jas, Apr 4, 2010.

1. jas

jas Rookie

Apr 4, 2010

Please guide for 18 months old kid. Looking for a Montessori school in cleveland area.

3. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Apr 6, 2010

What part of Cleveland are you in?

I am a product of, and would recommend Horizon Montessori on Mayfield Rd. (East side). I then went to Ruffing Montessori, also on the East side in Cleveland Hts. Both have toddler programs that begin at 18mos. I think Ratner is also supposed to be good, but I am not personally familiar with it. They have a program that starts at 20 mos.

4. jas

jas Rookie

Apr 7, 2010

I am living in Berea area in cleveland ohio.

I have some concerns which i think you will be able to help as u have that experience with you.

How does montessori education help in long run in comparison to traditional education system and is it worth the money at this age (18 months)?

And what do u think "todays montessori school" which is in north Olmsted?

The next session for school is going to start by sept. and by that time my child will be of 22 months....so i can look for Ratner also.

Thanks in advance.

5. mtiroly

mtiroly Rookie

Apr 7, 2010

I don't personally know anything about Today's Montessori School. I just checked out there website which is under construction. If you really want to know what a program is like first hand, I suggest you contact the school and schedule a time to observe. That's really the only way to tell what a program is like. I've seen Montessori done well, and very poorly.

As far as the value of Montessori, I would say if you will be providing care for your child in one form or another, I would suggest Montessori over day-care. However if it is a choice of Montessori or time at home, I would say time at home at such a young age is invaluable. (I'm sure there are many opinions on that point.)

Montessori's value lies in its support of internal motivation in the child. Most traditional education programs use various kinds of external rewards and punishments to motivate and discipline the child. A good Montessori program will not use stickers, toys, food or anything else to try to motivate the child. Also integral to Montessori programs is their reliance on materials or "work" that is developmentally appropriate and will best encourage individual development in each child.

6. jas

jas Rookie

Apr 7, 2010

thanks very much for the detailed reply.

I stay at home with my kid......my concern is that in winter weather he can't go outside for play......for that only reason i am looking for options so that he could learn good things, interact with other kids.

Please add any other opinions .

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 7, 2010

Since you're a stay at home mom, a half day preschool program may be an option open to you too. Many programs have 2 or 3 day options and aren't too expensive. he could still have time at home with you, but have some time with friends too.

8. jas

jas Rookie

May 5, 2010

which one is true montessori school

Hi everyone

I have been searching Montessori school for my kid....

I came across that some of the schools r starting the toddlers program at 2 1/2 yrs and some at 18 months....what is the correct age as per Montessori method ?

I also found that some Montessori schools r having toddler programs from 18 months to 6 yrs....that i feel is truly business oriented.

Very few r following Montessori method.....All other have made a business of earning good money on the name of such a good method.

Its very difficult to find good genuine Montessori school.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 7, 2010

The grouping should be from 18 months -3 yrs, and then from 3-6 years. Younger than 3 yrs old should not be mixed in with 3-6 yr olds.

It really is hard to find a very good Montessori school. Just make sure you keep observing....