Looking for literature

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Lee90, May 5, 2015.

1. Lee90

Lee90 New Member

May 5, 2015

I am planning for my new 7th and 8th grade honors class next year and would really love to implement more reading of classic literature into my curriculum. I am looking for good abridged versions of the "monster" classics like Frankenstein, Dracula, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, etc. to have them read during October.
    I would like to have my students begin to become familiar with the language in older stories as well as get to know these characters and events that are alluded to so often in our society.
    Normally, I am not a fan of abridged anything, but I feel that in this situation- where I have limited time and am working mostly with kids that have never read this kind of novel- introducing them to the stories with most of the original words is enough.
    Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    And does anyone know of any good abridged versions of any of the iconic monster tales? (Not re-written, just shortened versions.)

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 6, 2015

Graphic novels! Not sure if they have any for monster ones but the Shakespeare ones with the original language are great! We use them for our struggling readers.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 3, 2015

I second the graphic novel approach. Some of the monster classics are in that format - we've used them for our lower readers as well . Ask the school librarian.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 3, 2015

Another vote for graphic novels. A lot of the classics versions use the original language but the visual support is great for students who haven't read much in that style.