Looking for Leprechauns

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by summerschulte, Feb 28, 2005.

1. summerschulte

summerschulte New Member

Feb 28, 2005

Last year in my search for St. Pat's day ideas I found a great idea for early elementary kids, and of course now that I need it, it's nowhere to be found! I can't remember the details, but it was something along the lines of... about a week before St. P's day, "leprechauns" start visiting the classroom at night, making a mess or leaving treats and leaving little green footprints everywhere. That's all I can really remember. My 1st graders would get such a kick out of this, I HAVE to find the specifics! Anyone familiar with it? Please help! Thanks!
    :D

"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 28, 2005

You might find it on one of the sites here, but I'm not sure:
    http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Themes/St__Patrick_s_Day/

However, the first link on the page, Leprechaun At School, is a printable, leveled book written by Sandi Reyes. It is available for immediate download at the A to Z Teacher Stuff Store. It is about a leprechaun who visits the classroom and plays tricks. :)

[​IMG]

4. Ms Linda

Ms Linda Rookie

Feb 28, 2005

Try this site
    http://www.geocities.com/melissajl2000/st.htm
    it the 12th or 13th idea down.

I did foot prints one year but I had the kids make a trap to catch the leprechauns. The next day I left foot prints, sprang their traps and left candy in the sprung traps (with a note saying sorry they didn't catch me but here's some candy).

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 28, 2005

On St Patrick's Day, the kids came in to find gold glitter sprinkled down the hallway leading to our room. It led to some bags of gold coins (chocolate). Inside they found evidence of mischief - small things knocked over, etc. They were charmed.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Mar 1, 2005

green food coloring in toilet

7. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Mar 1, 2005

I worked at a daycare center, and the oldest kids (4-8) had leprachans visit them. They would even leave a note!

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Mar 1, 2005

Ha, ha, ha. My kids would immediately tell me that the leprachaun P---d in the toilet. Or something like it is leprachaun blood. My class has many vocal boys. :eek:

9. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 1, 2005

I remember when I was in kindergarten, my teacher had a chair turned over and green glitter in some of our books! She would read us notes left by the leprachaun...if we caught him, we would get gold! Well, later on in the day, after lunch, she said she finally caught him. In order to keep him in the bag, a large brown paper grocery bag, she stapled it shut. I remember her opening it with us all around her and nothing was left but some glitter and a note. He had left us a pot of gold in the kitchen set freezer! Everyone received a piece of gold...yellow jello in the shape of a gold nugget!:) I still look back on that and smile! What fun!:)

10. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Mar 1, 2005

On St. Patrick's Day, the leprechaun visits our classroom while we are on the playground or at Special. I try to do it when I am remaining with the kids so they don't accuse me of being the leprechaun. (I have a parent or other teacher do the "dirty work" for me.) Here is what he does:

1. We have St. Patty's Day snacks like Lucky Charms cereal and a treat with
    Cool Whip. The leprechaun turns the milk and cool whip green.

2. The toilet bowl water is turned green.

3. He turns all the behavior management cards to "purple" (the worst color).

4. He dumps chairs, toys, pencils, etc. over in the room.

5. He scatters papers everywhere, ripping one or two.

6. He sprays green silly string in some spots.

7. He throws all the backpacks all over the room.

8. He leaves green footprints on the tables.

9. He leaves us a note telling us he's sorry for messing up the room and he
    thinks he lost his gold while he was there.

We purchase chocolate gold coins and little black kettles from Oriental Trading. Each child gets one pot and finds 4 or 5 pieces of gold. Then, we sit down and write letters to the leprechaun, telling him how we feel.

Some other St. Patty's Day ideas that we do are:

1. If I found a pot of gold, I would... (writing prompt)
    2. I am lucky because... (writing prompt)
    3. Sorting Lucky Charms cereal and graphing the marshmallow shapes
    4. Make Shamrock "people". Cut out a large shamrock shape. Draw a face
    on the shamrock. Add a leprechaun-style hat. Take 4 strips of green or
    white paper that are approx. 2" wide by 8" long. Fold them accordian
    style. Add the accordian strips to the shamrock as arms and legs. Add 4
    smaller shamrocks to the ends of the accordian arms and legs to act as
    hands and feet.
    5. Make a rainbow with 7 paper chains done in red, orange, yellow, green,
    blue, indigo, and violet.

11. queen/cutestuff

queen/cutestuff New Member

Mar 8, 2005

Leprechauns

Starting on March 1st, our resident leprechaun, named Greenfoot, begins causing mischief in our classroom. I make greenfoot stickers by painting bumpy (it needs to be bumpy or the paint won't stick, I learned the hard way!) white contact paper. I just use the bottled acrylic paint and a sponge brush to spread it around on the paper. Then I put fine glitter over the wet paint. When dry, I use a footprint stencil to trace around and cut out. This way I can make lots of feet to use throughout the month. Each day he does a little mischief like scribbles all over the chalkboard, pulls out all the job cards, dumps out books and legos, etc. He even will tip over a student's desks. Each time he does something, he leaves a footprint sticker. On St. Patrick's Day, he has a party in our classroom. I tip over desks, through streamers around the room, trade attendance cards with my neighbor, hang stuffed animals from the ceiling, put footprints on the ceiling, up the wall, generally trash our classroom. I also buy some chocolate gold coins and leave them all over the room. He leaves his shoes (my daughter's old Cabbage Patch shoes painted green with gold glitter) and we try to find them as well as a pot of gold. The children really get excited and love all the chaos. I also get some very good writing out of them because they all love to write about Greenfoot. I have more to share if anyone is interested.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 8, 2005

OK... i'm uneducated... what is it with leprechauns and messing things up? The only things I remember being taught is that they are hard to catch, but you get a wish or a pot of gold if you *do* manage to hold on to one... there did the rest come from? I like, I'm just curious to know the background. ;)

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 9, 2005

Leprechauns are mischief makers and like to make a mess of things. I have always sprinkled glitter around the room, around the center areas and in books etc. At circle time we "find" a note tucked in somewhere, could be on our weather chart or calendar, etc. The note tells us that the leprechauns visited us and lost some of their gold. Various notes are left around the room giving us clues as to where to search for the gold. And of course things are always mixed up. Math games in the reading nook, books in the kitchen, etc. The kids love it. Sometimes they leave a "magic potion" for us to drink. It is koolaide mixed with food coloring and when water is added it turns green. Lots of fun!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 9, 2005

Make pistachio pudding and sprinkle with green sprinkles - the pistachio pudding looks white until mixed, then turns green.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 9, 2005

I also found a poem that the leprechauns left a "rainbow" for the kids to snack on. It is skittles in a snack size bag with the poem attached. Cute!
    I put the goodies in the cubbies before the kids arrive.