Looking for "I'm done, what do I do know?" -- Anchor boards?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 28, 2010

Looking for "I'm done, what do I do now?" -- Anchor boards?

Edit: title of thread should say now, not know...I fixed it but it's not showing the change? :sorry:

I came from teaching 5th grade reading, where I had 2 classes. That means I only had a few hours a day with them so I usually didn't have to plan much for early finishers.

Now I'm in 3rd and I'm already overwhelmed with early finishers. I've heard of Anchor Boards but I'm not quite sure what they are. I know my old school used them in 4th.

Basically the teachers glued library pockets to a posterboard and stuck laminated strips of paper in them with activities that could be done independently.

I googled Anchor Boards but I don't see much. Does anyone use them? I'd be thrilled if I could find some already made. This is for 3rd grade.

If anyone uses something else for 3rd grade that would be awesome - especially if it doesn't require many copies. :)

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

Don't know of NC requires cursive, but I do :)

I have a milk crate full of practice sheets, in page protectors, with dry erase markers. They can practice individual letters or copy stories for practice if they finish early.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

I keep one of those small Target $1 pocket charts up in the front of my room.

I write out all the options kids have for "choice" time (aka when they're finished with their work), and turn over a few at a time. So, if everyone is working on something quietly, I might only have read or write up on the chart.

Other times, I might have options like: AR on the computer, math centers, literacy stations, draw, math manipulatives, etc.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 28, 2010

Love that idea!!!

7. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

you can have the students come up with a list, while class or personal, that they keep in a special folder...it would be their responsibility to make sure that the materails they need are in there when they are done...i always use that time for enrichment worksheets if i dont want them wandering around the room as that can interfere with some learning styles...and as always...read a book!...you could make a book report a bi-weekly project where they would have to turn it in and use that time for reading, writing, editing..etc.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 31, 2010

I will be working on making one of these over the long weekend! Thank you SO much.

What a great idea. Sounds great.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 31, 2010

I'll be doing the same thing. Let's come back and share our ideas :)