Looking for ideas about a thematic unit on recycling...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sandymandrake, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sandymandrake

sandymandrake New Member

Mar 30, 2009

Hello... I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about teaching a unit on recycling. This is new for me, so any information you have or books you could recommend would be helpful.

Thank you,

Sandy

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Mar 30, 2009

I printed an activities book from the internet. I looked for a web address, but I only found EPA-United States Environmental Protection Agency. I also came across a site (by accident) that had an "earth day bags" activity. We collected brown paper grocery sacks from the local grocery store. Each class in our school decorated-drew the earth, etc. and wrote a message about earth day/recycling, etc. We then returned them to the stores to be used. If you google "earth day activities" you should get lots of ideas.

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss...is a good book! lol my highschool ecology teacher made us read it. :D

The now remorseful Once-ler--our faceless, bodiless narrator--tells the story himself. Long ago this enterprising villain chances upon a place filled with wondrous Truffula Trees, Swomee-Swans, Brown Bar-ba- loots, and Humming-Fishes. Bewitched by the beauty of the Truffula Tree tufts, he greedily chops them down to produce and mass-market Thneeds. ("It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.") As the trees swiftly disappear and the denizens leave for greener pastures, the fuzzy yellow Lorax (who speaks for the trees "for the trees have no tongues") repeatedly warns the Once-ler, but his words of wisdom are for naught. Finally the Lorax extricates himself from the scorched earth (by the seat of his own furry pants), leaving only a rock engraved "UNLESS." Thus, with his own colorful version of a compelling morality play, Dr. Seuss teaches readers not to fool with Mother Nature. But as you might expect from Seuss, all hope is not lost--the Once-ler has saved a single Truffula Tree seed! Our fate now rests in the hands of a caring child, who becomes our last chance for a clean, green future.

5. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 30, 2009

you should check out

www.instructables.com

for project ideas if you want the kids to do a project or craft

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 30, 2009

It is really fun to have a fashion show. The kids make outfits out of discarded items. You can do it up really big, or keep it simple. It is a riot.

9. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Apr 2, 2009

Cheap and easy project:

To find out why we recycle:
    You need: several jars, an apple, a sandwich, something plastic, paper, glass and metal.

Leave each content in a separate jar.
    Leave content in the jars for å while, 2-3 weeks. Study every 2.-3. day and draw and write a little report about what they see.

Can be extra interesting if the jars have soil in the bottom and if you put worms in the soil.