Looking for help with a student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by swansong1, Sep 13, 2011.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

I have a child in my 4th grade class who writes most numbers backwards. The child is gifted, with no reading or math disabilities (aside from this issue).
    Any suggestions on help for this child?

3. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

We trace... a lot, but I am in first grade and that is considered developmentally appropriate.

I would still maybe give the child numbers to trace every night for homework. Some of our papers have like.. 1-5 on one page, you trace and then write five on your own and on the second page it is 6-10.. same thing, trace and write.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2011

Does he have a hundreds chart or number line or something he can look at to check his numbers? I only teach 1st grade also, but my students must use a number line to check to make sure their numbers are correct.
    By fourth grade it is probably going to be a hard habit to break, but it's gotta be done ( I assume!). I'd give him/her a hundreds chart and make the child check the numbers. That can be one of his/her steps when completing a problem or turning in work or whatever.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 13, 2011

First, inform the parents about it.

Second, start your district procedures for disability testing.

It could be a visual perception/processing issue.

Mirror writing is rather odd.

Does the child know they are writing the numbers wrong?

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 14, 2011

Are you saying this because of the grade/age level?

I ask because in my school you do not recommend a student for disability testing simply because they right their numbers backwards. It's considered normal for my age group and developmentally appropriate so we most definitely are not allowed to recommend for testing.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2011

Disability testing will not be done because here unless the disability affects the educational progress of the child, testing will not even be considered.

I like the idea of using a hundred chart to make the child aware of the problem. School has only been in session for a month, so I don't know the child all that well, but I think accountability may be a first step.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2011

Grade level and so if there is an issue, it is documented with the district, so swan wouldn't be held accountable if the parent were to find out the child has a disability years down the road and sues the school :p

Or swan could just talk to the principal (document via email) and then tell the parent that they should take the student to a behavioral/developmental optometrist/ophthalmologist.

When the student writes in reverse, do their eyes do anything visibly odd? (Like losing focus, going lazy, etc.)

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

I know you are not going to tell the parent to take the student to a behavioral/etc. If I said that, I'd lose my job. The school district doesn't want to pay for outside services that a teacher recommended.

We also don't serve kids with the type of dyslexia that involves writing things backwards.

I have two this year who are writing their numbers backwards. (4th grade)

The first thing I did was evaluate the problem.
    1. Which numbers are they writing backwards? With them, oddly enough it's the same 3 numbers...3, 5, and 7.
    2. See if they are transposing numbers; i.e. writing 71 instead of 17. Mine aren't, so I don't have to address that. Not sure what to do if they are.
    3. Age and maturity level? Mine are both very young and less mature than others in the class. One missed an entire year of school last year due to parent issues/homelessness etc. and yet her school in another state decided to send her on to 4th. Idiots. But whatever.

Now figure out a plan.
    1. Practice writing them correctly. Both girls are willing to write the numbers 20 times each. They use "pretty paper" that I give them. Both are very "girly girls".
    2. We made up stories about why the "flags" on the 5 and 7 are facing the way they are. Silly, but memorable. Haven't gotten to 3's story yet.
    3. Both girls have a sticky note with the numbers in dark black thick ink. Works for one; the other doesn't pay attention to it. (Not a visual learner?)

That's as far as I gotten. We'll see if they improve

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2011

I had a chance to speak to the parents. They are aware and willing to work with the child. They said last years teacher told them not to worry about it; the child would outgrow the problem. I told them that we needed to fix the problem this year. Parents agreed. So, they are going to have the child practice with fun worksheets every day for about a month. Then we will readdress and see if the constant practice has helped. At this point, parents and I are trying to see if it is just a bad habit, or if it is caused by an underlying problem. It's great to have parents willing to help!