Looking for guidance and direction

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Rdgtutor, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Rdgtutor

Rdgtutor Rookie

Oct 22, 2005

Hi fellow teachers;
    I'm looking for some guidance and suggestions as I no longer know in what direction to turn. I'm from New Hampshire and I hold an Elementary Cert. in both NH and MA. I am also certified as an Orton-Gillingham Remedial Reading Instructor. Here is my dilemma: I only have classroom experience teaching Kindergarten in a private school. I have been tutoring reading in a public school environment for the last three years. Last year I applied for a regular classroom position in the school where I was tutoring. Not only was I not hired for one of the five openings in one of the classrooms, but my contract for the reading position was not renewed for this year. I was told that I do not have the experience that is required in either position. This seems to be an issue wherever I go. In my most recent position I was hired as an dilemma Instructor, but I was used as a reading tutor as well. I'm being told that if I want to pursue an elementary education classroom position that I should consider taking the Praxis 11 exam. I received my degree in 1979 in MA and only recently got recertified in MA and took the Praxis 1 in NH for certification in NH. I'm not sure what direction to take because I feel that even if I take the Praxis 11 and pass I still won't be considered for a position because of my lack of experience and age. Help, does anyone have any suggestions. I would really appreciate them right now. Thanks for your time...

Rdgtutor :confused:

3. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Oct 22, 2005

I am from NH and it took me a year and a half to get hired. I went on several interviews before finally landing a job. I have not taken the Praxis II but I know it is beginning to become a requirement in some schools but for the most part it is after you are hired - at your own cost. I am certified in elem ed and Special Ed. I was hired as a brand new teacher and I am in my 40's (which I feel was a problem). I say keep going - some districts really do want us older teachers - we are not leaving to have a baby, we have the wisdom of our experience - use that. If you don't mind my asking where in NH are you?

4. Rdgtutor

Rdgtutor Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

I am in Derry. Are you in NH too?

5. Rdgtutor

Rdgtutor Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

thank you for your support. I really needed it.

6. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Oct 28, 2005

OH my goodness - I am in Derry too ;-)

7. Rdgtutor

Rdgtutor Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

Derry too!

Do You teach 6th grade in Derry at Hood or WRB? I just put my name on the sub list in Derry and Londonderry too. I tutor one boy after school in reading. My search still continues and I haven't given up hope. I would like to pursue my spec. ed cert., but with no money coming in right now it's not easy. :wow:

8. Rdgtutor

Rdgtutor Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

Did you ever sub in Pelham? I was just wondering because of your screen name..... :D

9. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Oct 31, 2005

I had subbed in Derry for five years and in Pelham, Windham, Hampstead, Sandown, and Plaistow for the last year. I finally got a job after graduating in 04. I am in Candia now as a 6th grade teacher.