Looking for great "cell" ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by angeluv73, Sep 20, 2006.

1. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

We are doing 7th grade science and studying the cell, anyone have great ideas for lesson plans or projects?

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Sep 27, 2006

I taught a 7th grade enrichment class on cells once so I'll just tell you some things we did. First, we covered basic things and we learned about some scientists that made contributions that had to do with cells such as Hooke, Leeuwenhoek, Schleiden, Schwann, and Virchow.
    We learned about the organelles, their functions, and whether or not they are located in plant cells, animal cells or both, and then drew each cell, a plant and an animal cell. We did that by assigning each organelle a colour and then drawing the cell then colouring the picture labeling which orangelle by the colour.
    If you would like me to share with you some labs that we did please PM me.
    Hope this helps,
    Hannah

4. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Sep 28, 2006

When I was in 5th grade, we made a cell using clear gelatin, and other stuff. I don't remember what we used, but you could use all food products so the kids can eat em;) - shredded carrots, jelly beans, spinkls...

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 1, 2006

I have a fun "opener" activity.. I put an overhead up that says "This is a cell free zone." (this is actually from a sign I read at a local movie theater)

then we discuss what the INTENT of the sign is (cell PHONE free zone , obviously) versus what it ACTUALLY implies

then we discuss whether a cell free zone CAN actually exist.. ie Outer space?? Clean rooms?? etc