Looking for Goofy and fun ideas for Letter of the week

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sewsouth, Mar 10, 2007.

1. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Mar 10, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for fun and exciting ideas for Letter of the Week.
    We do not start out the a, b, c, d etc. I use a letter depending on the theme and the season of the year. A-apples, p-pumpkins etc. I make them fun and exciting but looking for something different.
    I love the ideas I have done in the past but was looking for some more exciting ideas. One idea I have heard of was like for "W"- Wacky Wednesday wearing goofy cloths or "S" silly sock day-wearing two different colors of sock.

Does anyone have other ideas I can use or a suggestion of where I can look.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks so much

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

Bunny Books B day

Cute Critters C day

Edible Eats E day

Horrible Hair H day

...I've got nothing. sorry!!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2007

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 10, 2007

We are doing wacky wednesday this week.

We did Silly sock day and let the kids take their shoes off all morning (except recess) they loved it! We also made silly sock snacks...I took one soft taco shell for each child and cut into shape of a sock. The children spread cream cheese over their sock. Then I had cut up celery pieces, sliced olives, strings of carrots, small bits of broccoli and the chidren decorated their socks with the veggies they liked. Surprisingly, I only had one that didn't eat any veggies on hers.

For T one day we had teeny-tiny show and tell. I gave all the children a small brown bag the day before to bring their show and tell in. They shook the bag and gave a clue and we had to try to guess what their teeny-tiny object was. It was fun.

For T another day we had a teddy bear picnic. Everyone brought in a teddy bear. We read the book, watched the old animated movie of the teddy bear picnic and had a picnic for snack. We also did show and tell, introducing their bears. My assistant wrote down everything each child said about their bear. I took a picture of each child with their bear. We did a craft, each child make a teddy bear from construction paper to look like their bear. They glued it onto a piece of construction paper. Later, I glued their picture on that paper as well as wrote what they had said about their bear. We laminated all of them and bound them into a class book...turned out really cute.

For P - pajama party. Pizza pigs snack - one half of an english muffin for each child. toast the muffins. Have the children spread sauce on then sprinkle with cheese. Use one slice of peperoni for a nose, sliced black olives for eyes, a sliver of carrot for mouth and two triangles cut from thin slices of ham for ears...really cute & yummy!

Getting late, If I think of more tomorrow I'll add it.

6. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

I do mine thematically, too, to go with whatever we're studying. So for our "Sea Life" week, our letter is "S", we have a "Sea Otter Sun & Fun Party" (I have a stuffed sea otter who invites all the kids for a picnic on our playground-then we run through the sprinklers-obviouly a summer one!)
    Next week is "The Luck of the Irish!" Our Letter this week is "L". We have a "Leprechaun Hunt" (he leaves foot prints in the room while we're outside playing) and we have a "Look for the Lucky Clovers" game. (I hide paper clovers-one is a 4 leaf clover-the kid that finds it is my circle helper.) We also take "A Look at Lucky Charms"-a fake rabbit foot, hoseshoe, clover, wood (knock on), etc.

I also do...
    *backward day
    *Pajama day
    *crazy hair day
    *various color days (kids all wear red shirt etc.)
    *Super Spider Web Spinning (We take dental floss and take turns going around the room making a "web". Then we pretend we're flies and we have to navigate through the "web" without being caught! I get to be the spider!) Done in October.
    *Rainbows and Raindrops
    *Egg-citing Eggs (around Easter) I buy colored small eggs and nests from WalMart (the nests are $1.79/ea.) for math sorting/counting-I also buy egg tongs from my local grocery store and have a (plastic) egg relay!

Hope that helps!

Mrs. B.

7. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

I almost forgot, I have a book called "Holidays For Dull Days" by. Marilee Whiting Woodfield. It has interesting days; like July 21 is National Ice Cream Day, June is Dairy Month, March is National Noodle Month, and in January they suggest to have a "Happy Un-Birthday Party". Kids in some countries, like China, celebrate their birthdays at the beginning of the year! (Something I never knew!)

Mrs. B.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 11, 2007

Our culture is about celebrating individuality so having birthdays on the actual day is important. Some cultures are more group oriented (needs of the group over the individual) so having a celebrated holiday where all have the same birthday goes right along with that cultural perspective.

9. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

I agree that birthdays on their actual day are important. I never said that we didn't celebrate the kids actual birthdays. We discuss other cultures for diversity, especially with Chinese new year that month (I have a Chinese girl in my class), and we read "Alice in Wonderland". Then we dance to the "Very Merry Un-Birthday song. It's an excuse to let loose, have fun and eat birthday cake! Don't get un"cutNglue"d. lol-just a joke. This idea is just for fun-not meant to change their birthday or culture.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 12, 2007

We have a ocean animals theme coming up and J for Jellyfish has been a big hit. I am in a kindergarten class and we made Jellyfish using paper plates and yarn. I had the kids first color and cut out pictures and words that began with the letter J (this was a worksheet I created but magazine pictures would work too) Then they glued them to a paper plate and glued pieces of yarn around the edges. We hung them up from the ceiling and they looked adorable. You can also make "jelly"fish snacks with half of an english muffin, jelly, and any fruit cut into strips for tentacles.

11. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Mar 12, 2007

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.