Looking for "fun" writing activities for early finishers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Sep 11, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 11, 2012

I have a curriculum map that I have to follow. We were supposed to be doing personal narratives this week and last week. I have an hour for writing every day. Many of my high kids finished their final copies today. I made them go back and add tons of details and things like that and they ended up with way longer stories than everyone else with perfect writing, so at this point there just isn't anything else I can give them to improve on for the narrative...and we have 3 more days of this! What is something that could be seen as "fun" ( not just giving them extra work) but also actually focusing on writing (not allowed to color or draw or anything like that).

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Sep 13, 2012

Story Cubes are a fun way for students to practice their writing skills. Each package contains nine cubes with images on each side. Students use their imagination to create a story based on the pictures. I've seen them at Walgreens in the toy aisle.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2012

I make the kids little books they can write anything they want in (I do allow drawing).

I just use primary paper (with the horizontal lines) and fold it inside of a piece of construction paper and give them to the kids. They BEG to write in them! I don't really edit them or do anything with them other than read the stories when they finish. I have kids who are writing 2-3 at a time they are so full of ideas.

This is where they really write whatever they want- boys tend to do war stories, write video game inspired stories, write about factual events like the Hindenburg or Titanic, etc. Girls tend to write fictional stories. They are really proud of the books and I will read them aloud to the class when someone finishes. I put a basket in my classroom library for student made books.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 14, 2012

Google "Would You Rather for kids." You'll come up with a bunch of lists that start with "would you rather" do such and such or something else. The kiddos can write creatively about which thing they'd rather do and why. Some are thought-provoking. Others are pretty funny!