Looking for free English assessment

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Linguist92021, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 10, 2016

I want to start off the year by providing a pre-assessment for all my students. Ideally this would be similar to standardized tests, multiple choice only, that would include every standard. Then at the end of the semester I would have them take it again, this could be their final. We never had finals before due to the very big overturn of students. At the new school they have finals but we still have a large percentage of the students come and go, so a final focusing on specifics from the semester wouldn't be fair to all the students.

Last year I did this, the test itself was 8 grade level, of course they still struggled and really didn't do too well. I offered them 20 points (every day's work is usually 10 points) if they have really tried. It took 2 class periods to finish the test. Everyone tried hard though. I didn't reveal the answers, didn't even reveal the individual scores (they were depressing). At the end of the quarter they redid it, wasn't that much better, but I think it was because they were not that invested in it.
    This time it would a final, so it would be worth a lot more.

I also want to see where the students are as far as English is concerned.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be great if I could get several versions, grade 9, 10 and 11, but just one grade level would already help out.

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2016

Edinformatics used to be a good source for that sort of thing. Try searching for Edinformatics and rummaging around the site, or try the search term "common core english released test grade _" or "common core language arts released test grade _" in your browser.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2016

This doesn't really answer your question, but I thought you might be interested in the site www.chompchomp.com . There are great grammar lessons and practice pages on there. It's humorous, too.