looking for form

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Margo, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 29, 2002

A colleague is looking for an information form to send home to parents to fill out. She is looking for one that basically says "You have gotten to know your child for the past XXXX (number) of years and I only have 1 year to get to know them. What can you tell me to help me get to know your child?" I know that we like to think that parents will tell us, voluntarily, of any pertinent information that we should know. But how many times do we find out mid-year that the child is from a divorced family or that the child has recently experienced a death of a close family member? These are things that we should know of at the start of the year so that we can be on the look-out for symptoms or simply be aware of how our actions could affect this child. What we are looking for is a simple form that the parent can fill out (important facts, health conditions, likes and dislikes, etc.) Does anyone have such a form or know of a site where I could find such a form?

3. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Jul 30, 2002

This is a good topic! Last year I didn't find out until November some of the troubles plauging my problem class. Once I knew I was not surprised by the behaviors,but the interventions were impossible. (Well, Middle school always is a challange) I would create a sheet asking parents to inform me of any allergies or "other special needs" so that when we have celebrations or other special activities I can be aware of possible issues. Some times class lists will inform you of broken homes through last name differences or notations from the office. Asking the children the first days of school to create an all about me project might let you know some of this information.

4. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jul 30, 2002

Margo, I have a form that we use in my Prek classroom. If you'd like a basic idea of what it says, or if you want me to send you a copy, email me at smgd104@aol.com, and I'll be happy to help you out. It includes questions such as recent activity in the home, such as a death, new sibling, divorce, relatives moved in, pets, etc. I find it very helpful.
    - Shawn

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 30, 2002

If possible, I would suggest doing home visits prior to the start of school. I used to teach HeadStart and it was a required pain in the butt, but I am much more anxious this fall when I will meet my new third-graders for the first time at school. I did a developmental screening while at my kids' homes and had parents simultaneously fill out a form about the things you mentioned. I left knowing the parent(s), sibling(s), and child, plus an idea of the child's abilities, needs, and behaviors.

The best part, though, was the feel for the home environment that I got. This could never be accomplished through a survey. Seeing the way the home was kept, the child's homework area, neighborhood, interaction between family members in a natural setting, and so on were unbelievably helpful in providing me with information about the child in the classroom.

Maybe you could consider this a few weeks into the school year for those children you really deem neccesary. It sounds impractical, dangerous (don't go alone!), and time-consuming, and it can be, but the rewards are well worth it. What I gathered from the survey was only about five percent of the overall picture of the child's life I gained from going to the home.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

Do a class survey and ask open ended questions like , 'When I make a mistake I ________' and 'Other people think they know me but they would be surprised to know this _'. Ask students to create characters based on family members, maybe make a comic strip. Have them create a magazine collage which describes their lives. The kids can tell you a lot without having to respond to direct questions. Good luck.