Looking for donation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jlj, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the "donorschoose" website, it looks like it would be great. However, it doesn't help me. 1. They do not include FL yet. 2. I'm in a non-profit, faith based school and that site will only contribute to public school teachers. :( That part upsets me! Anyone know where "we" can get help? Like the public school teachers: we do the same work, also spend our own money and extra time & energy, pay the same taxes for public schools that everyone else pays..... yet we make less money, are thankful if we get any money for our classroom, and yet it's harder to get help and support from the public! At one of the very well known department stores (won't mention name), the store soooo into supporting education and giving, well when I asked about a donation of a laptop computer or at least a generous discount, I was given a form to complete. It's for a matching grant. You do a fundraiser and they will match it, okay, but the problem is, it states on the form that "Faith based organizations must be conducting projects that benefit the community as a whole. Grants cannot solely or primarily benefit, directly or indirectly, their adherents or members." Well, how does a laptop needed for Extended Care posting and billing (I do this by hand now and bring home with me every other week-end to hand write bills :| ) how does this help the community as a whole? Our Extended Care program is only for those students enrolled in our school. I do understand that if we did receive the grant it should be for the school/Extended Care program and not for the church and it's members. Am I misunderstanding something here? I'm feeling very discriminated against for working in a non-profit, faith based school and shouldn't! Anyone else run into this? Sorry, I'm disappointed and needed to vent. :eek:hmy: I haven't written a grant or proposal before, maybe there's a way to word it to suit their requirements? :unsure:

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

Hello! Gee, I am sorry you seem to be hitting a brick wall wherever you turn! Have you tried to have a fundraiser? When my kids went to a faith based preschool the parents sold Butterbraids and cookie dough to help the teachers raise funds! They got quite a lot of money this way! You can google fundraising and probably find something great!

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

Donorschoose.org was started by a public school teacher in New York. He started it as an "e-bay" for teachers. It will be available soon nationwide, but you are right, only to public and charter school teachers.

I am not sure where to tell you to turn for private funders. Many department stores will give about $50.00 to you if you write a proposal, but not enough for a laptop.

I understand that you get paid less than us and pay tax dollars. I think though the idea of donorschoose is to help many students who are in a public school system that is in general not giving enough money where it should go. I know the original sites of donorschoose went to severeley disadvantaged districts. They started wtih New York then San Fran then North Carolina and Chicago. Next they went to every state effected by Huricane Katrina. The kids at my old school were 95% free and reduced lunch. My new school stats are 85% but judging by the community, these kids are much more impoverished than my old school. This just says that 15 percent of the population had parents who didn't or couldn't fill out the lunch forms.

I guess part of the understanding would be that in a Church/private school the kids would be able to supply at least the basic school supplies. I dunno. Hope you find something that will help you.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

Something like this wouldn't be elligible at donorschoose either. It has to be something the students can directly benefit from. Supplies that will be consumed directly by them. So it would have to be a laptop for stuednt use.

I think there are some cheaper laptops you could get though if someone will price match, PC laptops have dropped in price dramatically and you don't need lots of bells and whistles to serve your purposes.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Are there any churchmembers who would be willing to donate the funds? I teach at a churchbased school, and we have several churchmembers who are regular contributors and supporters of the school. They are mostly elderly churchmembers who don't have kids or grandkids in the school, but just think it is a worthy cause to support. I'd suggest talking to the church leaders to see if they know of anyone who has asked about ways to help the school, or who may be willing to support the school financially.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

You could probably get a used laptop/desktop from a buisness. Many buisnessess get rid of computers every few years.

Also. Try Craigslist.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2007

10. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Have you contacted your local public schools?? I know that in the systems I have worked in, they sometimes have sales of computers and other supplies/furniture for the public when they replace these items. It might not be brand new or super-fancy, but it should do the work that you need.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

Oh, yeah I remember UW-Madison used to do that.

Here we keep archaic computers around. Some of the rooms at my old school have Apple II e's. Not joking!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2007

It sounds as though the major difficulty is the fact that the laptop is not for the benefit of the students, but for your personal use. I understand your need, but, those who are willing to make a donation to a school want to be sure that the students will benefit. Is there some way that you would be able to use the laptop to introduce some technology to your students or for some staff professional development? Presenting plans along these lines may result in more success for you.

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I'll keep trying.
    Chicagoturtle- I understand and appreciate what donorschoose is doing and applaud them for helping, especially in disaster areas!
    One comment though, the idea that a private school education is only available to those that can "afford" it is no longer true. With the scholarships available now parents that qualify can get full tuition paid for their child/ren (from Kindergarten up). What we now run into is these parents can't or won't pay for supplies, field trips, contribute to fundraisers, etc. and while it's great that the children have this opportunity, it hurts the private schools since we can't afford to pay out for the extras that the parents should be paying for.
    MrsC- I wouldn't want the students to use the laptop since it would have such important records on it, however staff prof. development sounds good. Any ideas, pointers on what I could do?
    Thanks again everyone! I do soooo enjoy this site!!!!