Looking for class novel

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by TLee, Jul 15, 2011.

1. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 15, 2011

:help:Help! I have been all over the web attempting to find 20+ copies of the book Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne that I can afford. My students have been begging me to study mythology. I have no resources and due to budget cuts my school cannot purchase them. I figure when 6th graders are begging to study anything academic, I must deliver! Where, oh where could I go to buy these? We're not picky; used and/or paperbacks are fine. Thank you!

3. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 19, 2011

Is the book actually available to purchase but you just can't afford it? IF that's the case, can you ask a partner in ed to purchase them ? Could you purchase a copy on CD and have students listen and share copies to follow along? Could you have a fundraiser? We have a "snack store" on our hallway and use the profits to purchase items we need for the students. That's probably not an option for you now, but you might try it later. Good luck.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

Do you have any copies? Can you have the students work in small groups (use the book as a rotation during centres or guided reading)? Use the document camera to display while you read together? Does it have to be this specific book? Can you find myths in other sources (I'm sure many are available on-line). Found this with a quick Google search.

Sorry, not much help, but I never use whole class novels/books.

5. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 20, 2011

thanks!

Thanks for your help! Yes, it's available new but I cannot afford 20-30 copies. I work in a small school and don't have another teacher who can buy them with me. I may look into purchasing a copy on CD--that would be one way. Good idea! I can't have any fundraisers, as it doesn't benefit student council or 8th grade graduation.

6. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 20, 2011

thanks!

Thanks for your help! Yes, it's available new but I cannot afford 20-30 copies. I work in a small school and don't have another teacher who can buy them with me. I may look into purchasing a copy on CD--that would be one way. Good idea! I can't have any fundraisers, as it doesn't benefit student council or 8th grade graduation.

Mrs C: Thanks to you also. I had purchased a teacher's guide with resources for that particular book, so that's why I was specific with the title. Thanks for the link to Mr. Donn's info. I love that site and definitely plan to use it regardless of whether I find the novels. Alas, I don't have a document camera. Doing well to get a projector! But if I happen to get one, that is a great idea. Thanks again.