Looking for an "uplifting" book to read

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGrl7, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

I read like crazy, and somehow everything I've been going through lately has been depressing. If it's not depressing, it's serious. If it's not serious, it's written in old English and takes a lot to get through. All wonderful books, but I need a break from them!!

I am looking for suggestions for a great, uplifting book to read next. Something non-girly, non-romance filled, non-over-hyped "feel good story of the year!!!!" Just a real, good, sink your teeth into, can't put it down, good book that also happens to be happy. Any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

When's the last time you re-read Gone with the Wind?

Not all happy, but a remarable , sink you teeth into it kind of book.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I just read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers and really enjoyed it.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 11, 2010

I just read Lovely Bones, I don't suggest that. I find the books by Hiasson very interesting. The plot is tightly woven and well written.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 11, 2010

Interesting thread. I just read Lonesome Dove where everyone dies and now I'm reading Widow of the South, about the Civil War. I didn't realize I was picking depressing books :)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2010

Pisces, I bought Widow of the South when it was first published because I liked the cover for some reason...it seemed so oddly eery to me. Anyhow, I love more than anything books and movies that make me cry, so I doubt I have much to contribute other than the recommendation of young adult books. Would that interest you, Teacher?

8. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Feb 11, 2010

Widow of the South is good - you can visit the real Carnton plantation. I was planning on going over Spring Break but will prb have to do it next year.

9. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 11, 2010

i just got done "reading" (audio book...i travel a lot) THE HELP
    i have it loaded on my GPS and would bring the thing inside to finishs a chapter.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

I have talked about Widow of the South with several people and have never found anyone who had read it before. I loved it but found it to be slow - of course it could have been my mood.
    Reading "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult right now and it's good. On the last chapter so don't anyone tell me the ending.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

Lovely Bones was on my list of depressing books! I loved it, though. Gone With the Wind I read recently, as well. I will look into the others mentioned.

JustMe, I'm willing to hear young adult suggestions. I've read from Pride and Prejudice to the Twilight series and much in between LoL, I don't have much prejudice. No pun intended.:rolleyes:

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 11, 2010

For an uplifting read, try just about anything by Cecilia Ahern. She is the author of "P.S. I Love You", "Love, Rosie" (hilarious!), and "If You Could See Me Now". All are pretty easy reads with hopeful , if not happy, endings.