Looking for an Effective Intervention Reading Program

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rookieABC123, Jan 22, 2014.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jan 22, 2014

Hi all,

I currently teach 7 and 8th grade learning support in reading and language arts. Next year, most of my kiddos will be out in co-taught classes for reading and lang. arts. However, there will be some lower functioning students that I will be pulling out for reading and language arts. My question is what do other teachers do in this situation? I would love to put aside my reg. ed. curriculum (what I'm currently using) that I modify and get new reading curriculum that is specifically for reading intervention to get some of these kids more up to speed. Or do you use a mixture of district curriculum and an intervention reading....I'm new this year to this position so I'm trying to figure this all out.

I'm also wondering if reading intervention programs come with a writing component. My students struggle so much in writing.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 22, 2014

I'd do some initial research with the "What Works Clearinghouse. It's a pretty good database of interventions that have research behind them, and you should be able to get a brief review of what's included, such as writing.

http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/

I've used SPIRE and I think it's good when it comes to teaching 4 of the Big 5 with reading - phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, & (some vocab) - comprehension is fairly lacking unless you supplement it, and vocab isn't really that strong either. BUT, I've not used it with middle school kids. Still, it isn't necessarily designated for particular age groups, just particular skill levels, so if you're in a SPED setting looking for a package that covers those elements, I'd look into it.

4. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jan 22, 2014

Thank you for your help!

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 23, 2014

Good luck with the search!